Would you recommend a cinnamon GC female conure for a 9 yr old first time bird owner?

FirstBird

Nov 20, 2012
I asked in general questions, but wanted to ask here as well.
We are trying to decide between a green cheek conure and a cockatiel for my son. He is absolutely obsessed with birds.
He has read books about conures and cockatiels and has narrowed his choice to these two.
This will be mainly his bird (but also a family pet as I don't work so I'll be home with him/her all day).
We want an intelligent and interesting bird.
I am concerned with the potential aggressive nature of the conure (as I've read about on this website) esp during 'puberty'.
Are cockatiels intersting birds? Do any of you have both species, and if so, how do they compare?

Rana

Sep 18, 2012
Dublin, Ireland (Republic)
Parrots
Scottie Pippen (Pinapple GCC) Little Bandit (Hahns Macaw)
Hi, As far as i know the puberty thing could happen with any type of bird when they sexually mature. every bird has its own personality so it's always a guess. all i can recommend is that you read up on the "puberty period" altogether and how to handle it in a positive reinforcement way. if you handle it well, it will pass without issues.

I think many people will find a 9 year old to young as a bird owner really... but i suppose if its supervised by yourselves it's essentially the same as a family with kids having a bird. it's just in how you bring it across :)

It's great to hear your kid has done some reading on the birds but i do suggest you do the same if you haven't already. they are rather complex creatures, and not very low maintenance as is commonly misconceived.

However, both conures and cockatiels are good first time birds, cause they are relatively small, but pack a big amount of personality!
Have you considered a budgie? They are very fun little birds too and “easier going”, also well able to learn tricks etc!

Take your son out to breeders or animal shelters that have birds, so he can spend time with them, learn about them in a practical environment and he'll get a much better idea of what he likes.

Last edited:
OP
F

FirstBird

Nov 20, 2012
Thanks Rana. Yes, I've been researching too (actually for hours)! I realize it's quite a commitment, and it'll be a family pet (but my son prefers we call it his bird as he enjoys feeling responsible).

Sc0tt

Nov 18, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
Red Throated Conure - Casper | American Budgie - Zeus (R.I.P)
My first parrot was a Budgie. I love him and he has a lot of personality as well as not as big of a commitment as a larger parrot. I would recommend one, and if you can get a handfed baby they're very similar to a larger parrot minus some of the maintenance and all.

I just adopted my first conure today, and I've owned budgies for 3 years prior, so I'm considering this a step up.

OP
F

FirstBird

Nov 20, 2012
Is it a bad idea to purchase a conure from a petstore (Petsmart)? We were out running errands and we drove by Petsmart and my son talked me into going in. They had 1 green cheek conure. It was timid, but at the same time very charming and had a sweet personality.

kksdad

Jun 1, 2011
Virginia
Parrots
African Grey
Budgie
Cockatiel
Hahns Macaw
We have had both cockateils and a GCC. From our experience, keeping in mind that two birds of the same species can have totally different personalities, I would definitely not recommend a GCC for a 9 year-old.

momto3

Mar 19, 2012
My daughter is 8 years old and she has an English Budgie. They are very laid back and easy companions. She can easily handle this bird and she does take care of him daily--although as you know, you will be primarily responsible for the bird. I would recommend a male English Budgie. English Budgies are quite larger than American Budgies and they are very calm and laid back. They are playful and affectionate and don't really bite. Our bird will occasionally nip but it never hurts and he has always been that way. We got him from a breeder and he was hand reared and used to people. If you want the breeders information, send me a private message and I will send to you. We had our bird shipped from Florida. Personally, I think larger birds are too much responsibility and kids get spooked by the first nip of a bigger beak. Just my opinion...

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
A green cheek from a pet store often runs $400 and up... from a breeder, you can find the same green cheeks for $150 and up... so it's up to you!

There is concern that pet store birds aren't well socialized, and because of the influx of people, there is a higher chance for disease... but the same could be sad for a breeder that doesn't have high standards cleaning and/or time to commit to young birds.

It's typically recommended to go with breeder birds, though.

I was 13 when I got my first cockatiel! Still have her, too! A month after getting her, I got my first conure! Both were unexpected! Before Casey came into my life, I was frequently looking in the ads for cockatiels, thinking about getting one or two because I wanted something other than budgies! I loved my little budgie flock, but I also wanted something different! However, Casey was actually a gift to me, from friends of the family who knew I loved birds! They were friends with a breeder, and the breeder had a 5 month old cockatiel needing a home! And the conure, Noel, a cherry head, (RIP - older bird with health problems) was given to me by a stranger. She saw that we had birds and offered us another! And of course, we accepted!

I would recommend a cockatiel over a conure because they are less bratty and less likely to be very nippy or bitey (at least, to the degree that conures can be). However, with the right training, a GCC can still make a lovely pet! Just expect a lot of nipping until you train him/her to be gentle and not to bite!

The only concern is that cockatiels are dusty birds, so if anyone in the family has asthma or other respiratory issues/allergies, then cockatiels are not ideal.

Rana

Sep 18, 2012
Dublin, Ireland (Republic)
Parrots
Scottie Pippen (Pinapple GCC) Little Bandit (Hahns Macaw)
yea budgies really are the overlooked species when it comes to first time parrots... they are ideal really and so very sweet...
like monica said, conures can be nippy. for us personally it's fine, we can take a pinch or a bite but i can imagine for a 9 year old boy it may hurt. and its important you deal with it well in order to stop it from happening.
the main thing you need to keep in mind is that parrots are prey animals (unlike dogs and cats) so things like shouting and especially physical punishment ( i even hate saying it to be honest :D) have a complete opposite effect and will only create a loud aggressive territorial bird. so i can't stress enough how important positive reinforcement is. ANYWAY i do wish you all the best of luck finding your ideal family bird :)

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
My daughter has always done VERY well with my GCC :) They sit on her shoulder and she ADORES them. My daughter is 7yo. Cockatiels are less... energetic and clued into the world. Conures are more active, curious and to me seem more intelligent. They are more likely to be difficult to read, though they are also more likely to be gentle with the person they bond with... wear as a cockatiel that is nasty and bitey will probably be so with everyone. From personal experience, cockatiels are more likely to be temperamental.
They are about the same size and while a GCC has a larger beak, they hurt less when they bite but are more likely to do things like bite ears to get earrings LOL
GCC are "beaky" where as cockatiels are "nippy". Cockatiels have made me bleed more often than conures LOL

However, when you get a gentle cockatiel, they are fantastic. The problem being that its a big gamble, they are more likely to be hand shy than any of the small common pet bird species. And even when they want cuddles and scratches, they will bite you for doing so... the contrary little mites!! LOL

Both will make equally good kids pets, each with their own set of difficulties. It depends on the personality of your child. A cockatiel will be happy to sit and play on a play stand, will talk and wont demand physical contact... but it may also shun physical contact, it may nip anytime a hand comes near it and they do chatter all day long (which I find annoying). A GCC will be adorable and love to play, they love physical contact and will even roll over on their backs in your lap/arms and fall asleep, they are also quiet and dont often make sound... but they can be demanding for your attention and affections and are unlikely to be happy to sit on a play gym, they would rather be snuggled into you. So, if your child is up for a demanding bird who will love them whole heartedly, then a conure is the bird for you. If your child would prefer a bird who will sit happily and quietly on shoulder or playstand then a cockatiel is more appropriate :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Thingamagigs, Cockatiels more temperamental then conures? I beg the differ....I've been raising Cockatiels for the past 16 years so I have had quite a few Cockatiels in my life with a few conures. They have more personality then what most people give them credit for. They're super smart compared to other types of parrots, they're right with them. I would always recommend Cockatiels cause they're wonderful birds to have around!!!! English budgies are wonderful to have around. They're super smart as well. I used to raise them at one point too....

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Cockatiels are actually bigger than most GC's, although their beaks are around the same size, if the GC's beak isn't a tad larger.... really depends on the GC mostly since there are different subspecies of GC's.

Between my first cockatiel and my mitred conure, I actually enjoy interaction with my tiel more! She's not as demanding, doesn't make my ears hurt like heck, isn't temperamental or near as bratty as Charlie is... she loves to explore (well... she IS a hen...), loves scritches, loves to fly and is a complete pig when it comes to food! LOL She's fine being in her cage, out exploring, or just sitting, hanging out on my shoulder or head. She's not going to die if I can't hold her immediately!

That said, Charlie is more hands on and interactive. I can do more things with him than Casey. Yes, he's noisy. Yes, he's bratty. Yes, he's nippy. If he's not with me, he's not happy! But he's also hilarious, cute, goofy, cuddly, etc! People love it when I gently toss him in the air as he lays on his back in the palm of my hand!

cockatiel green cheek conure - Flickr: Search

Dharmawaits

Oct 6, 2012
Parrots
The great Peapod a Parrotlet
Thingamagigs, Cockatiels more temperamental then conures? I beg the differ....I've been raising Cockatiels for the past 16 years so I have had quite a few Cockatiels in my life with a few conures. They have more personality then what most people give them credit for. They're super smart compared to other types of parrots, they're right with them. I would always recommend Cockatiels cause they're wonderful birds to have around!!!! English budgies are wonderful to have around. They're super smart as well. I used to raise them at one point too....

AHHHHH sttttoppp. There is a little cockatiel at the shelter I volunteer at that ran away with my heart. I seriously want to cry when I think about her. I can't bring her home and it's killing me. So for now on when I click on any post that states conversations about any other bird besides a cockatiel there will be NO talk about cockatiels. K, thanks! :D

Dharmawaits

Oct 6, 2012
Parrots
The great Peapod a Parrotlet
And can I just say if you happen to live in the Phoenix area there is a amazing little sweetheart names Mango a sun conure who needs a home and 2 GCC and a fantastic little slender bill he's a sweetie too. None of them are a wreck and would need very little rehabilitation. Heck Mango is better behaved than my brat the princess.

As for cockatiels...all of them are awful especially the little yellow one missing a toe....sniff...she's really super awful.....don't take her :(

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
I think that this is one situation where a rescue or pet store bird is probably a bad idea. Try to remember this bird is for a child. I think that pets are great for kids provided parents are prepared to teach and supervise both the child and the pet. My horses and dogs kept me out of trouble growing up. People always said kids shouldnt own horses, but I still have my mare and she is my best friend. That said, this could go one of two ways; either your son makes a fantastic long term friend, or a negative experience could turn out bad for him AND the bird. Please dont make a spur-of-the-moment purchase! Meet lots of birds and talk to lots of breeders. Take the time, no matter how hard, to find the best fit for you and your son. Take the appropriate steps to ensure a healthy and well socialized pet. A 9 year old is not mature enough to train a troubled bird. Consider all the advice, meet lots of tiels, conures and budgies. I did not grow up with birds, but I wish I had. I dont want to try to turn you off because it sounds like you have really done a lot of research and want to do this right. I do want to warn you away from making a quick decision and bringing a bird home because its adorable and you're excited.

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
I have both, Cockatiels (4 of them) and 1 Green Cheek Conure.

I love them both for the individuals they are. My male cockatiels are extremely vocal and both have learned a wide variety of words/sentences. My females are rather quiet, but entertaining just the same.

My Cockatiels love to hang out on my shoulder,talk and whistle, they play with their toys and like to "forage" around during "treat" time. Cockatiels are a bit less attention demanding when with you...each of my cockatiels are happy to sit on my lap, hand, arm, shoulderand preen themselves and me while I'm doing something without being "annoying" and I don't mean "annoying" in a bad way, but sometimes busy birds can get in the way...and that brings me to our Conure, Franklin.

He is a busy bee! Non stop on the go...RARELY will he just hang out on my shoulder...chillin' like my tiels will do...he's always exploring, tasting, grabbing, climbing up and down, and in and out of blankets...he loves to make tunnels under blankets, carry his toys around...this non stop behavior can be a bit exhausting and if he get's "over stimulated" he will bite out of excitement...not a draw blood type of bite, but a stout pinch...we've curbed that A TON, by redirecting his attention if we see he's getting over excited about something...like his cat ball with bell...which we sometimes have to take away from him.

We got Franklin when he was about 8 weeks old, he did go through a rather difficult bitey phase that started at about 6 months of age and continued on until about 10 - 11 months old.

My biggest suggestion for you is to make sure you buy or adopt a hand raised/tame bird...either way you go. Hand taming a bird, although rewarding, isn't something I think your 9 year old is going to have the long term patience for. Hand taming is a process that often times has many set backs.

Good Luck with what every FID you choose :)

Toni

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots

AHHHHH sttttoppp. There is a little cockatiel at the shelter I volunteer at that ran away with my heart. I seriously want to cry when I think about her. I can't bring her home and it's killing me. So for now on when I click on any post that states conversations about any other bird besides a cockatiel there will be NO talk about cockatiels. K, thanks! :D

Here's some pictures just for you!!!!! :)

2012-01-30_03-04-38_433.jpg

2011-10-31_01-38-38_362.jpg

20120920_001640_zpsf86f6299.jpg

2011-08-14_16-56-59_13.jpg

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
Thingamagigs, Cockatiels more temperamental then conures? I beg the differ....I've been raising Cockatiels for the past 16 years so I have had quite a few Cockatiels in my life with a few conures.

I guess it comes down to personal tastes. I definitely find GCC easier to live with and far less phobic. I have owned more cockatiels than conures and have found all the conures to be far more relaxed than any of the cockatiels.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Yea for some people they really do prefer Conures over Cockatiels, but I prefer Cockatiels as I'm not a huge conure fan. Although I do think they're pretty and can be quite entertaining. After raising Cockatiels for so many years, I've had 100's of them. Very rare that I have ever encounter a problem Cockatiel.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Thingamagigs, Cockatiels more temperamental then conures? I beg the differ....I've been raising Cockatiels for the past 16 years so I have had quite a few Cockatiels in my life with a few conures.

I guess it comes down to personal tastes. I definitely find GCC easier to live with and far less phobic. I have owned more cockatiels than conures and have found all the conures to be far more relaxed than any of the cockatiels.

And GCC's are so much more 'parrot'-like birds... They are definitely my favourite... Large parrot in a small body, I say, as Squirt is breathing into my ear, and soaking wet from her first voluntary bath..

Most Reactions