Wow Im jealous

Doris48

Feb 15, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
Twitter, 3yo greencheek conure..Paco 15yo Orangewing Amazon.
My son came over today.He is 23 and Paco went nuts over him.He had to be pried of his shoulder and put in his cage so my son could leave.Im really jealous.I dont get it, the man I got him from was tall and thin and had grey hair and a very long grey beard.My son is not tall,is heavy set and has his head shaved and has a black goatee type beard, nothing alike so whats the deal???
Why does a bird just pick someone out of the blue like that?
Is it scent or some visual thing or maybe the sound of the voice.I know my son liked the bird right away too.
:green:

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
My vet said that birds can be drawn to the sound of a persons voice. (male/female)

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Having re-homed many birds, I never understood what makes that connection. I have seen birds take to someone so totally different than myself and their original owner. I have bonded with birds that were female oriented. I have had birds who seemed to like blond men, take to me (dark hair). And others who only went to certain types. Who knows? It's just a spontaneous connection. Why do we get along with certain people, and not others?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
That's why we have variety of birds in the house. Only two are extremely aggressive in my flock. They will attack my partner, Java being the worst. Java's previous owner is a woman and he used to attack her husband but loves her. But now Java is attached to me, he did from the day I went to visit, I was there for no more then 5 min taking him out the cage and he started humping my arm...lol....Samething with Willie, I shocked the owners as I just walked right up to Willie and held my arm out and he came right to me. That's when I just got inside the house. NOT all birds do me like that though, some will be quite hateful towards me. As you get to meet many at bird fairs, but IF they choose you right away, your in luck!

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Puck gets super duper excited to see people who are not me. I feel miffed sometimes.

He did throw up on my finger last night though, so I shouldn't feel too bad. LOL.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I don't think there is any rhyme or reason to it. Or at least not one that we can see. Pete's previous owner thought he hated women. Well, it took him only 2 days to start bonding with me. He also likes a lady at the vet's office.

I have had many birds choose me right away, and many that said, stay away, you're not my type!

And my little Rowdy, who has been one of my best friends for more than 11 years would run off with a good looking guy if he asked her to, I know it, lol!

Most Reactions