Yellow Feathers Turning Green?

Lenalee11

Dec 29, 2015
Parrots
Indian Ringneck - Buttercup
Hi there, new here and made an account to ask this. Our yellow Indian Ringneck has feathers turning green around his beak. My dad just noticed it today and I went scouring the internet to see if this is normal or not and couldnt find anything on it. I will try to get some pictures but that means he has to cooperate. We have had this bird for years and have never had any health issues (other than some minor plucking each time we have moved.) He is at least 11 years old though I cant remember exactly and has not been around any other birds since we originally got him when he was young.

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
I'm no expert and others may have a better idea, but the only reason I know for a bird to start changing colours (besides going from young to adult plumage) is when birds are having liver problems (likely due to bad diet and stress).
I may be wrong though.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
It could definitely be health related. But in IRN's, it can be hard to know because their colours are so incredibly complex genetically speaking. There's a possibility he was a split and may finally be moulting out to that colour, but I'm not sure. I'm no expert on IRN genetics.

What I recommend doing is going to a vet and running a blood panel. Check his liver and kidneys especially. Make sure everything is in normal range ASAP. With birds, once they show signs of illness it can often be too late, so please don't delay if you can help it. And be sure to take him into a certified Avian Vet as well, as they'll know best.

Most Reactions

Latest posts