yes... another food question

Loyal

Jul 22, 2012
Although I offer fresh fruits and veggies everyday, when I got Indy, I got her food....(don't know what it's a mix of, but it's primarly seed :eek:). After looking MySafeBirdstore, I want to create a new mix of food... I've come up with this, in order by quantity I plan on mixing:

Totally Organics Pellets 3lbs
Certified Organic Ingredients: Rice, barley, sunflower seed hulled, alfalfa leaf, sesame seeds unhulled, amaranth whole, quinoa whole, buckwheat hulled, millet hulled, dandelion leaf powder, carrot powder, spinach leaf powder, purple dulse, rose hips powder, rose hips crushed, orange peel powder, lemon peel powder, rosemary whole leaf, cayenne ground, crushed red chili peppers, wheat grass powder, barley grass powder

Bountiful Harvest Qwacker Jax Fun Blend 2lbs
Natural pellets, together with roasted Cashews, Cranberries, Natural Papaya, Roasted Almonds, Natural Pineapple, Large Pumpkin Seed, Banana Chips, Mangos, Golden & Red Grapes, Pepitas (Shelled Pumpkin Seed), Carrots, Apples, Filberts, assorted Cooked and Dehydrated Beans and Peas, Sweet Peppers, Roasted in Shell Pistachios, Blueberries, Pine Nuts, Whole Turkish Dates and Figs, Sweet Potatoes, Green Cabbage, Freeze Dried Peas, Roasted Chic Peas, Cherries, Shelled Walnuts, Shelled Filberts, Shelled Pecans, Freeze Dried Strawberries and Mangos, Goji Berries, Parsley, Peaches, Freeze-dried spinach, freeze-dried Garden Peas, Parsley, freeze dried Chives , Red & Green Sweet Peppers, freeze-dried corn, freeze dried peas, freeze dried honey, freeze-dried celery, dehydrated green beans, chamomile flowers, cilantro, dehydrated Green Cabbage, dehydrated basil,Whole (white) Pumpkin Seed, Roasted Cashews, Roasted Almonds, Banana Chips, Shelled (non-roasted) Brazil Nuts, Flaked Natural Coconut, Roasted Corn, Roasted Soybeans, Pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds), Granola made with: Rolled Wheat, Canola Oil, Natural Coconut, Sweet Dairy Whey, Oat Flour, Roasted Almonds and Honey, Natural Mango, Shelled non-roasted Filberts, Cooked dehydrated Beans & Peas, Grapes, Cherries, Whole Sweet Corn, Whole Cinnamon, Roasted Chic Peas, Sweet Red and Green Peppers, Organic Wheat, Organic Whole Oats, Carrots, Tomatoes, Apricots, Natural Cinnamon Flavored Crispy Apples, Peaches, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus fermentum fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, and dried Bifidobacterium longum fermentation product.

Goldenfeast Fruits & Nuts Plus 1LB
Ingredients: Roasted Cashews and Roasted Almonds, Roasted Corn, Safflower Seeds, Roasted Soybeans, Whole Organic Oats, Roasted Peanuts In Shell, Organic Cranberries and Blueberries, Banana Chips, Turkish Figs and Dates, Granola made with: Rolled Wheat, Brown Sugar, Canola Oil, Natural Coconut, Sweet Dairy Whey, Oat Flour, Roasted Almonds and Honey. Carrots, Pecans In Shell, White Pumpkin Seed, Papaya, Pineapple, Mango, Apples, Sweet Peppers, Apricots, Cherries, Organic Wheat, Pine Nuts, Shelled Brazil Nuts, Sterile Hemp Seed, Freeze Dried Mango & Strawberries, Shelled Walnuts, Roasted Shelled Peanuts, Shelled Macadamia Nuts, Green Beans, Green Cabbage, Grapes and Freeze Dried Spinach. Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein (min.) 15%, crude fat (min.) 17%, crude fiber (max. 12%, moisture (max.) 7%, ash (max.) 8 %

Am I missing anything, should I leave anything out??? :confused:Sorry for such a long post. Indy is doing really well with trying new foods, I want to get her on a diet that's best for her, while she's still open to new things.:41:

LauraT

Jun 17, 2012
Parrots
Baxter - Senegal, Reilly - Blue Crown Conure, Robinson - Red Bellied Parrot
Hi

I have a senegal and have just recently odered from My Safe Bird Store. I ordered all 3 that you mentioned to add to his current diet.
I keep the pellets in a separate bowl in his cage and offer him a blend of Oven Fresh and TOPS. He loves both. I rotate what goes in another bowl, but I can tell you he loves that Quaker Jacks. Loves the toys and enjoys the variety. He gets the other blend out on his play gym rotated with a few other Golden Feast blends. He also gets fresh veggies, rice, oatmeal, fruits...throughout the day as well.
So I don't think you will go wrong with any or all of the foods you mentioned.

Laura

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
I personally would use a fortified pellet like Harrison's, Roudybush or Zupreem in addition to the TOP. I like TOP, but I feel it's more of a whole food in convenient form than a pellet since it isn't fortified to have consistent vitamin and mineral content. IMO the closest thing we know to ideal is a pellet-based diet and I attempt to make that the bulk of my birds' diets, with added whole foods to round it out. The Cape gets extra nuts because they are said to be one of several species that needs a higher percentage of fat in the diet.

I'd start by using the food she's already eating and gradually add in more pellet content. If you try to make a sudden change, weigh her daily to make sure she is eating enough.

To me, that sounds like too much seed and dried fruit and nut content and not enough pellet. The second two ingredients sound more like treats to me than a diet base. Which is OK if it's maybe 10% or so of the total mixture. The mix I use for Scotty is 80-90% a mixture of different pellets, some dried organic pasta, a little dried papaya, and enough pistachios to provide about 2 nuts per daily serving. I occasionally add cinnamon stick or star anise for something to chew on, although he doesn't seem to much care for it.

He also gets a mixture of fresh fruits and veggies in the morning (all he eats most days is any grapes that are present) and sprouts in the evening. He usually forages for a couple of almonds as well.

I occasionally do fresh people food, but not every day, really mostly on special occasions.

Last edited:

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
I too, prefer TOPS pellets. They are definitely organic and I have yet to find one that comes close. My birds will not eat Harrisons at all. They do eat Tops. I feed a lot of fuits and veggies. Also freeze dried veggies they love.
Think you have a great idea.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
Not all will agree with this but sometime fortified can be bad. Add vitamins are usually synthetic and not from whole food. I prefer the natural vitamins from whole foods. But to each his own.

Most Reactions

Latest posts