Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Some of you know that double yellow head amazons, while one of my very favorite parrots, seem to HATE me with a passion. I've been bitten by DYHA's more that all parrots combined. I just got back from Hong Kong, and a guy had a DYH who loved me ! Let me scritch him on the head and everything. I was so happy, because I really love this species. I almost offered to buy this beautiful bird ( but then Salty would be heart broken). But just YEAH for me! Lucky are the owners of these beautiful parrots.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I cannot understand why *every* species of Amazon does not immediately fall for your bird-charms. They must not be very perceptive! :)

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
because Scott pirates are untrustworthy...they always drink all the rum!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
How awesome! DYH's are very head strong and ornery birds (like most hot 3 zons) but when they like you, they LOOOOOOOVE you.

I will say, I feel spoiled having grown up the favorite of a DYH. Even now when I'm on the phone with my mom, she still knows my voice and goes nuts:D

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As a very long time Amazon staff person, I have been in the company of near all the common Amazons in North America. Since, our approach to having an Amazon join our household has always been far less than ideal, and the first six months or so, rarely allow any deep relationship building. I have been bitten by near all of them multiple times.

Julio is our first DYH Amazon and his early bites had been very near the top of the most painful and deep cutting. The only one that was a measure above was from a Yellow-Nape. Now, as we enter into our fifth year with him. He is one of our sweetest Amazons!

Very happy that you have come across a DYH Amazon that accepted you up-front, Al! Clearly, that DYH had been well socialized.

FYI: Amazons only support British Fleet, Admiral Grade, 90 proof Rum or better. Rarely is there any issue with Pirates interference when buying. Borrowing, well that's another matter, isn't it! :D

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
But sailboat....why is all the rum gone!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Yayyyyy!

Most Amazons I have met seemed to like me a lot...

And here I am stuck on the dark side of the Patagonian moon (whatever I mean by that).

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

That is one of the Great Questions of All Times!!!

The truth is, the lessor and Crew Grade Rums are commonly the first to be gone from the bar front or 'known' stores. The upper grades, Fleet 'Admiral' Grades, they very rarely are gone. The individuals that drink those upper Grades rarely ask for Rum, possible they may say Fleet or Admiral (rarely). The Owner knows who they are and they are served with little more than a very slight nod. Those specific grades in the Liquor World is where the term 'Proof' came from. Individuals found serving cut-versions would be hung, commonly on the spot!

If your question is regarding this year's short supply. The limited supply is a result of last Fall's strong storms that serious limited the product levels of Rum. Its available, but limited to only the high-end variations.

I hope that this helps!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'

Is it? Really? I'd start by rounding up the most likely suspect:16: (or suspects) for questioning. Last seen sporting mostly green plumage and yellow on the head, possibly accompanied by an accomplice with some kind of bright blue front;)

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
If it's to be rum, me lads, it's Pussers or naught.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

Is it? Really? I'd start by rounding up the most likely suspect:16: (or suspects) for questioning. Last seen sporting mostly green plumage and yellow on the head, possibly accompanied by an accomplice with some kind of bright blue front;)

You are so very correct! I had forgotten (followed suggests to remove) that item! :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts