Yet another, "which bird should I get?" thread...

Quigg

May 10, 2012
Hi all.

I know you must see a lot of these, but I really need someone to have a look at my own personal options. I haven't had a bird in about 2 years, I used to have a sun conure, who I had for about 7 years, but sadly he passed away - as well as a cockatiel, lorikeet and budgie when I was younger. I really, really loved having a bird and I love birds in general, I would love to have one again. I have a few breeds I'm looking at, and have spent almost 5 months researching about, but would some more personal input.

I am looking at the following birds (that are available in australia) for the following reasons; I want to "upgrade" to a bigger parrot and I want to harness train it.

Ok, so option #1. A blue and gold macaw. I haven't wanted one FOREVER and I want one, SO BADLY. Question is, what is it like living with one? My macaw would be in a medium-ish house with myself and my finance`. I wouldn't be able to bring myself to clip a macaws wings and was wondering what living with a flighted macaw specifically was like? I can just imagine a huge bird flying around and knocking lambs, chairs, tables, photoframes etc off shelves and chaos following... or am I imaging the worse? I have heard macaws tend be quite laid-back and more relaxed, a lot less "energetic" then conures and lorikeets, man those guys never stop.

Also, what is the macaw cuddle factor like? I loved my lorikeet, cockatiel and conure for their "cuddly"-ness. My conure and lorikeet would snuggle under my chin and into my face and my cockatiel would happily be petted for hours, as well as getting scritched under the wings.

#2, an alexandrine. These birds have been a favourite of mine for a while and would love to own one. Pretty much same questions as above really. I have heard they aren't very cuddly as such like a conure, but still adore affection and scritches. What are your thoughts?

And finally...

#3, an ekkie. I have always loved ekkies, from their bright colours and adorable voices to their sweet faces and intelligence. I would be looking at a male simply because I haven't had a boy bird before, I LOVE their colours, and have heard better things about them then females. It could all be biased though, what are your thoughts on female ekkies?

Well, that's it for now. Thanks for any info!

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Chewbaca, F. Galah, h10/10;
Greybeard, M. Congo AG h03/09
If I wanted a flighted bird, I would stick with a native that would have a chance of joining a flock if it got away. I have been told that all the feral flocks in Southern Calif are American birds, not African or Asian. You hear of the occasional budgie who joins a flock of sparrows. Don't know how long that lasts.

Have you seen the PBS program, "The Parrots of OZ?" It's quite good.

Smaller Toos are better than larger, as they can't chew and destroy as fast, but that's only relative. We seen Goffins and Umbrellas for sale most often on Craigslist. I don't know if that's due to population or behavior.

PortaPerch.com

Most Reactions

Latest posts