You can't tell me they don't understand speech.

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Freedom's cage is in the living room/kitchen area and she has recently decided hubbs and I are not allowed to be in the same room as each other in front of her. We had a rough night last night, Turkey Bird was eaten by one of the two maurading dogs essentially right in front of us. We did manage to find her nest that she had hidden, thanks to 1 very vocal adopted chicken baby we have named "Hero". The rest of the eggs are turkey eggs, which take a week longer than chickens to hatch. When candled last night, it seemed like the turkey eggs are good. Hero saved them all, we absolutely would not have found the nest without him shouting about being alone(the dog literally grabbed her off the nest and we were outside by a fire only tens of feet away).

Anyway, that isn't the point of this post. I was tired, sad, overwhelmed, and just wanted to heat up something for us to eat in the microwave earlier today. Hubbs came out and asked if there was anything he could do to help me. I asked for him to go back in the other room so "the bird doesn't scream". As he walked away, Freedom said in a quiet voice, "rawr". She is in charge around here and knows it. Lol

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
That's awesome. They totally do-- I SWEAR...I know people will say it's mimicry in-context, but even the best mimic couldn't use humor the way they do with language. Smart birdy!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Smart little thugs! FYI, I wouldn’t hesitate taking that dog down! If the owner is known, even in ancient times, the law of the land dictates he is responsible for your loss of livestock

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
We have been trying to take the dogs down. We think we know where they live. We have had fish and game, neighbors, etc all looking and asking around for us. We *think* they live on the other side of our neighbor's farm. Yeah, we could take the owners to court(and might), but the first step is ending these raids. It is a tough shot tho.. dense forest, small moving target, and you never know when they will come. Thinking about setting some large live traps and then going from there. Legally we have every single right to kill these dogs. If we are right about where they live, it is an area where they burn large amounts of garbage, play loud music, shout, and work on engines loudly sometimes. Not right next to us, but close enough to be affecting us. No way the trailer trash owner got the dogs microchipped, if we take pity on them and take them to a shelter a few counties away... but the dogs are VERY unfriendly. The second they even THINK a person is near them or paying attention, they book it. For all we know we will get them in a trap and be unable to get the collars off without being bit. No way the owner has the dogs vaccinated either and we're not getting rabies(which is pretty common out here). If they are a threat even in the traps, well then, they chose their own fates. As for the owner? The dogs carry away their kills, no doubt they bring the carcasses of the larger birds home to eat later, and word has gotten around .. the owners know *exactly* what is going on, and probably let the dogs out to roam instead of feeding them sometimes. They have attacked our cats twice that we know of. One time Hubbs was out walking one of our dogs when he heard a commotion and one of our cats screaming. Fired off a round and the attacking animal retreated. Kitty terrified but OK. 2nd time kitty was also fine, but 20 feet up a tree and absolutely terrified. These dogs gotta GO.

I've said it before but I'll state it again: Turkey Bird was a pet who just happened to be a turkey. The dogs also ate Stalker/Dandy and many other *pets* who happened to be livestock(and also livestock who were not pets).

Last edited:

Most Reactions