You wont believe this...worried, please advise.

Parrothut

Dec 19, 2013
My 10 year old Macaw got out of his cage and raided the cat box (gross). I do not know if he ingested cat feces, but do know that his beak smells terrible. Any suggestions on what I need to do? Going to the vet right now is not possible. I have given him fresh water (we always add a little Apple Cider Vinegar at the suggestion of our vet). Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jessi

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Oh my, naughty parrot! I don't really know of any home remedies for this. I'd try to clean his beak and feathers first. Try to contain all those germs so he doesn't spread it around his cage and perches. Maybe a slightly warm shower, with natural aloe vera if you have it.

As for what he might have ingested, sorry I don't know what to suggest. I probably would also put ACV in his water, as a knee jerk reaction. Maybe someone will come along soon with good advice.

cstambaugh

Nov 3, 2013
Parrots
Zeus - Greenwing
LOL
He will be fine. Even if you have clay litter. Macaws ingest clay in the wild. The cat droppings are gross but wont kill him. He may not be in the best mood tomorrow, beware.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Lol! It never ends with these birds. He'll have to understand why he didn't get kissed goodnight.:D

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Well although not a pleasant thought, many animals will, if given the chance, eat crap, and most are none the worse for it except for perhaps bad breath lol. I woudn't be overly concerned about it. I'd certainly clean him up and wash his face, etc., and do what you can to prevent it from happening again, but I seriously doubt that any real harm will come to your macaw. There are even animals that MUST ingest feces, like rabbits and guinea pigs, for good health. Some of my dogs, to my dismay, search out deer crap and ingest it like it's raisenettes!!!! My vet says not to sweat it. If you are really distressed maybe you can call a vet rather than make a visit - there are usually one vet in most metro areas that are open for emergencies.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Well although not a pleasant thought, many animals will, if given the chance, eat crap

This might explain why Boomer sometimes tries to get near the toilet bowl while I'm doing number 2.

:D TMI?

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Also, just curious. Could he be seeking out the clay in your cat litter? If so, he might benefit from a mineral block in his cage, unless you already have one that is.

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
I am not very experienced but I'd give him watery food to "flush it out" so to speak. Watermelon, celery, grapes, etc. Just a thought.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Well although not a pleasant thought, many animals will, if given the chance, eat crap, and most are none the worse for it except for perhaps bad breath lol.

So there it is... that's what it comes down to. We can run circles around ourselves buying, preparing, serving and cleaning our fids' favorite delectable veggies and fruit.... and they will literally eat crap. Hahaaaa.

I've always wondered how such a smart bird like Pritti can still stick his beak ocassionally in his own poop that he comes upon, for a little sample. Mind you.... he never likes it and always shakes his head to fling it off him. REALLY? Does he not know what poop is after all these decades.

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
So there it is... that's what it comes down to. We can run circles around ourselves buying, preparing, serving and cleaning our fids' favorite delectable veggies and fruit.... and they will literally eat crap. Hahaaaa..

ROFL!!! Dang birds have got us all bamboozled into willing servitude!

Excuse me, gotta go prepare a scat & guanno casserole for Percy... I wonder if cinnamon would go well with it?

Most Reactions