Ziggy Update

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
So, it has been a week now, a week and two days actually, and I cannot believe the progress that our little ziggy has made! She seems to have gotten used to her wings being trimmed(no more crazy flapping every time you pick her up and her balance has gotten way better.). She will also now take food from our hands and has started playing with her toys again. She is still very quiet although she has made a few little noises, but only if we are watching a movie and and it gets loud, then she will make this strange little noise along with the tv noise, and she always does the beak grinding thing as she falls asleep. The biggest thing that we have worked on is her coming out of her cage. When we first got her she would jump and try to fly away, banging into everything in her cage and getting herself so worked up that she would start breathing quite heavily. Now, when I open her cage in the morning and reach in she actually runs towards my hand and steps right up! She learned really quickly that I'm not trying to hurt her and that if she steps up nicely she gets to be out on her cage as much as she wants until bed time. And, just two days ago she started to let me scratch her head as I hold her! I have never had a bird make this much progress in such a short period of time! She is such a smart little girl :) I still have a bit of a problem getting her off of the top of her cage(no biting but she will back away from my hand) but I think that may have more to do with the fact that she is a good six inches above my head when she is on her cage. And, if my boyfriend tries to get her out of her cage(the same way I do it) she will lunge at him, but as long as I get her out of her cage she will step up for anyone and doesn't seem scared of them at all. ;) I didn't really mean for that to happen but at least she is friendly to everyone when she is out, even if I'm the only one that she will come out gently for...

Tammy

May 4, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Orange Wing Amazon
I have to say the beak grinding is probably the ONE & ONLY thing that drives me BONKERS!!!! I hate that noise. lol. When I first got my Amazon he would start talking nonstop whenever I was using the hairdryer. So I started just turning the hairdryer on & talking to him. Before long he talks all day regardless of the background noise. But when he first came to live with me it was only with the vacuum or hairdryer.

pagie

Apr 1, 2011
New Zealand
Parrots
Alexandrine-Jimmy
Hi,

I have a seven month old alexandrine Jimmy. I found he would try get to highest spots if had a chance and there was no moving him once he was there. As we have been having earthquake here (we're in Christchurch New Zealand) as a matter or safety I moved everything perch etc down so he was below our eye level. It made such a difference and now he happily steps up to anyone who offers (very handy in an emergency!). Also incidentally he loves having a shower. I just need to say 'shower' to him and he's off like lightning onto my shoulder. I got a shower perch from ebay, and he happily sits there leaning back with his eyes closed, stretching his wings one at a time, very cute

Most Reactions

Latest posts