Zilla's Vet Visit...

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
YAYYYYY!!!!! Go Zilla!!!! I'm so happy she's made a full recovery!! I bet she will be so excited for her field trip to the Bird Hut! :p

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Awesome news, Amanda! Zilla's is now a product of your dedication, her tenacity, and great vet care.

We only live once - at least in this reality, so if you're prone to MBS that Ekkie seems the ideal fit. The price of admission may be high, but amortized over a long life makes the case more justifiable! labell makes a great point that birds kept generously outside the cage don't require a palace. You'll have to consider the additional food and vet expense, but the payback in love and happiness is incalculable.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
What absolutely FANTASTIC news, Amanda! And you SO needed some good news!! :smile015:

Here's to many, MANY, MAAAANY happy years together!

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Aww that's GREAT Amanda!!!! You did such an awesome job getting Zilla well again! I hope you can work something out and bring your Ekkie home soon! Congrats!!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
glad to hear the good news, congrats to you and zilla. you need to talk with your AV about longlasting effects from the asper. For instance,,the use of steroids will cause massive reinfection. My understanding is the spores are encapsulated in her air sacs . The use of steroids to treat another issue will cause those cyst to rupture and cause another infection of aspergillous. Once infected ,my understanding is they're never truly "cured". In fact she doesn't have an 'active" infection, but the spores are still there. Once again, i'm not an Avian Vet, you should consult yours.

Last edited:
OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
glad to hear the good news, congrats to you and zilla. you need to talk with your AV about longlasting effects from the asper. For instance,,the use of steroids will cause massive reinfection. My understanding is the spores are encapsulated in her air sacs . The use of steroids to treat another issue will cause those cyst to rupture and cause another infection of aspergillous. Once infected ,my understanding is they're never truly "cured". Once again, i'm not an Avian Vet, you should consult yours.

Thanks Henpecked! Dr. L did discuss those things with me yesterday as well as the scar tissue in her air sacs will always be there, scar tissue never heals and goes away. I will have to monitor her physical exertion levels while playing and flying for the rest of her life. We discussed whether to let her become fully flighted or keeping her lightly clipped, and how much flying she should or shouldn't be allowed if I choose to let her become flighted again. With her molting right now she will be fully flighted soon, so I have to make that decision in the next month or so.

We also discussed the fact she will be more susceptible to recurring bouts of asper in the future, so I will have to be ultra vigilant with her cage cleaning and keeping her on her healthy diet and doing what I can to keep her from becoming infected again.

She also wants me to discourage her "nesty" behavior as much as possible to keep her from deciding to lay eggs. It is Dr. L's opinion that she might just decide she wants to be a mommy now that she feels better and is getting the "good" foods. She said if I do get another bird it should NOT be a male zon! But a male ekkie would be OK. :D

Snabb133

Dec 10, 2014
Sweden
Parrots
{Kiki, Blue Front Amazon}

{Taco, Barraband Parrot}

{Emil A.K.A Rocky, Red Lored Amazon}
Awesome news! I am so happy for you & zilla! :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Amanda, I am so thrilled for you and Zilla!
Your dedication and wonderful care have done wonders for Miss Zilla, and that ekkie will be a fortunate boy if you are able to bring him home:)

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Dr. L just called and said Zilla's blood work came back great! :D

Said she looked at the scans again and asked if Zilla was especially hormonal...how could she know that from a scan??? She said (I forget what she called it) was swollen, so it would mean her hormones are raging!:cool:

I could have told her that by listening to the "whine" that has become louder and more like finger nails on a chalk board to my ears! :eek: The standing on her head in the seed dish "whining" and the bottom of the cage trying to stand on her beak and scratch the paper with her feet while "whining" :eek:

I'm so happy she is healthy now, but I sure will be happier when she quits whining! :D

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the recovery Zilla has made in such a short time! Dr. L was a bit shocked too, but the tests and scans don't lie! I fully expected a new special diet for her liver and kidneys and more meds for the asper.

Now (weather permitting) I will be taking Zilla with me to visit the bird hut and meet the little guy and see if it looks like they might possibly get along.

Oh, wait, she is in need of a pedicure, her nails are getting a bit long, so there is a reason to take her with me! :D She also dearly loves Brian and would ride around on his shoulder all day and chat with all the other birds!

Were you using aloe detox by any chance?! And if so, how much were you giving her a day?

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the recovery Zilla has made in such a short time! Dr. L was a bit shocked too, but the tests and scans don't lie! I fully expected a new special diet for her liver and kidneys and more meds for the asper.

Now (weather permitting) I will be taking Zilla with me to visit the bird hut and meet the little guy and see if it looks like they might possibly get along.

Oh, wait, she is in need of a pedicure, her nails are getting a bit long, so there is a reason to take her with me! :D She also dearly loves Brian and would ride around on his shoulder all day and chat with all the other birds!

Were you using aloe detox by any chance?! And if so, how much were you giving her a day?

I was using the aloe detox, the Lilly of the Dessert one, I was mixing 2 Tablespoons detox with 2 Tablespoons juice and she was drinking probly 1 to 1 1/2 Tablespoons every day.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
She also wants me to discourage her "nesty" behavior as much as possible to keep her from deciding to lay eggs. It is Dr. L's opinion that she might just decide she wants to be a mommy now that she feels better and is getting the "good" foods. She said if I do get another bird it should NOT be a male zon! But a male ekkie would be OK. :D

Having a male zon in the same house as a female compunds the breeding season adventure... and I'm speaking from experience here.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

I was using the aloe detox, the Lilly of the Dessert one, I was mixing 2 Tablespoons detox with 2 Tablespoons juice and she was drinking probly 1 to 1 1/2 Tablespoons every day.

There's what stablized the liver and kidney values, right there!!!

I had the same sort of results with it, and my vet was astounded at how clean Pecker's test results were. From quite literally, I don't understand why this bird isn't already dead with liver values like this...

I honestly believe that is a wonder cure for liver ailments!!!

Carolyn Swicegood turned me on to it...

Everyone I know that has had a bird with liver problems, that has used this product consistently has had similar results. I don't for the life of me, understand why Avian Vets don't jump on this one!

This is not a snake oil cure... it is a lifesaver! And it's not even expensive!!!

Last edited:
OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
The hardest part was getting Zilla to actually drink it! I had to drink some (YUCK!) and I had to keep putting it in a little "double shot" glass I have. If I put it in her cup in her cage she wouldn't really drink much, but if she could be on my shoulder getting something I was drinking then she wanted it and would drink it...But it worked and that's what counts!

Now I have a healthy, but hormonal zon living in my living room!

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
Awesome!!! Glad Zilla is back to normal!! **** happy dance**** :)

So.............what's the word on the male ekkie?:D

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Awesome!!! Glad Zilla is back to normal!! **** happy dance**** :)

So.............what's the word on the male ekkie?:D

Still don't know yet...I do know if Brian won't make me some kind of deal on him I won't be able to afford him...I will be going later this week to see what happens.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The hardest part was getting Zilla to actually drink it! I had to drink some (YUCK!) and I had to keep putting it in a little "double shot" glass I have. If I put it in her cup in her cage she wouldn't really drink much, but if she could be on my shoulder getting something I was drinking then she wanted it and would drink it...But it worked and that's what counts!

Pecker was an apple juice addict. She'd chug the stuff mixed 50/50 with apple juice...

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots

Pecker was an apple juice addict. She'd chug the stuff mixed 50/50 with apple juice...

I tried apple juice and cranberry juice. If I gave them on opposite days she would drink it, but if I tried one two days in a row she didn't do so well.

Most Reactions