ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Nutrieberries are part pellet-part seed anyway, so you feed both....

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
Im not even sure if Peanut needs the zupreem fruit blend because she eats nutriberries which claim it's a complete diet. She also eats lots of vegetables, chop and a quality seed mix. I just felt that she should be eating some kind of pellet and zupreem is the only one she likes and I had to train her to even like that. Maybe by feeding her the zupreem I'm doing nothing but giving her added sugar that she doesn't even need since she eats the nutriberries.

As a very general statement, take care when adding Sugar to any Parrot's diet. Since you did not state what species Peanut is, it becomes very difficult to respond one way of another.

She's a Senegal, and as I said she has a very healthy diet. I did the abundance weaning with her and she would eat everything except the Harrison's pellets. I can't say I'd blame her when she had an all you can eat buffet of fresh veggies, fruits, beans, grains and nutriberries. I wouldn't eat that crap either lol.

So once she was fully weaned, I started to only give her chop, nutriberries and seed mix in the morning and evening and then leave the Harrison's out all day to pick at. She wouldn't touch them. So then I thought maybe she'd like the Zupreem better. She does like it better, but I don't know that it is necessary since she's already eating the nutriberries, chop and seed mix.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Peanut will only eat the Zupreem fruit blend. And it even took her some time to like that, never mind the healthier pellets. She does eat a wide variety of fresh vegetables, beans, grains and fruits, however, so I feel that she's eating a pretty well balanced diet even though the Zupreem fruit blend isn't the healthiest of all the pellets.

A technique that has worked extremely well for me over the years, I only introduce new food on his play stands! First time response? I’m gonna hurt you if you offer this to me again! Second time, I’ll taste it! Third, oh wow my favorite once again thank you!

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
Peanut gets pretty pissed off about colored fruits. She likes apples and green grapes, but not anything blue or red. I once tried to keep giving her a blueberry and after the third time she flung it and in bird language told me to get that crappy blueberry out of her face.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
My sons ESA dog, Janey loves Zupreem natural, her vet is concerned for her, the flock is happy to share with her, they love launching them out of their cages. I feed a variety of various chops, some cooked grains, tree nuts, a little fruit, a small amount of Zupreem natural and a smaller amount of mixed seeds.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
My thoughts: Zupreme is sold at petco and PetSmart.

That automatically disqualifies them from inclusion in any aspect of my boys diet.

HEEDLESS: I’m really hoping your Ekkie is on a fresh food diet primarily. I only recommend TOPs or goldenfeast Goldn’obles for any eclectus as they don’t have additives or supplements. Only quality produce based ingredients in either. Zupreme, Harrison’s, eoudybush all have supplements which can be dangerous to your Ekkie.

slicksimon4

Aug 17, 2018
West Virginia
Parrots
R.I.P. "Oscar The Grouch" Sun Conure, "Pickles" Panama Amazon
There are several post on here in the diet/ recipe forum about pellet ingredients. You are going to have to read ingredient labels and try some out for yourself. I read all the reviews and settled on Tops. I have had them in there since day one and she has yet to eat them. I have crumbled them up and used them as treats and she still won't eat them. I agree that any pellet diet is ultimately better for the bird than a seed only diet. Find what works for you and buy small bags until you find what works or you will have a ten year supply of food on hand that they won't eat anyway. Good luck

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Actually I (since my birds are all tested and competely safe) have send samples to forumfriends if they wanted to try the ones I feed-- sometimes their birds liked it, sometimes it was a complete bust-- but then you know for the price of a few stamps ;) and we all had fun!

(The Netherlands are very, very small country so that makes it easier to do of course)

Most Reactions

Latest posts