1 of my Cockatiels cheeks changed color!

DiscotheCockatiel

Jul 1, 2021
Parrots
2 male cockatiels
I have a male cockatiel who is about 2 years old and one of his cheeks is suddenly a lot darker and looks like it has some dust/small feathers that won’t come off? I tried bathing him but that wasn’t it.
(The first pic is the darker one.) he has a wellness appointment next week but I thought I’d share in case it’s serious or if this is normal? He’s acting normal otherwise. It looks darker in real life as well the pictures dull the colors.

Attachments

• ABD8F66B-2E1A-43C9-ACBA-0C836489C136.jpeg
    ABD8F66B-2E1A-43C9-ACBA-0C836489C136.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 5FED7001-30DC-4719-9736-F99BC0217F3E.jpeg
    5FED7001-30DC-4719-9736-F99BC0217F3E.jpeg
    234 KB · Views: 76
OP
DiscotheCockatiel

DiscotheCockatiel

Jul 1, 2021
Parrots
2 male cockatiels
The white stuff?..
Or is he moulting?
I need more info!
Do you know how cockatiels are really dusty and constantly are fluffing it everywhere? It’s like that dust but it won’t come off his cheek patch

OP
DiscotheCockatiel

DiscotheCockatiel

Jul 1, 2021
Parrots
2 male cockatiels
And I don’t believe he’s molting right now unless he’s just starting but he molted pretty recently like a few months ago

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Do you know how cockatiels are really dusty and constantly are fluffing it everywhere? It’s like that dust but it won’t come off his cheek patch
is it the stuff on the first pic?
if so i just use a damped toothbrush and brush it off (IF YOUR COCKATIEL IS FINE WITH THAT!)
i mean i leave them most of the time..
they wont do anything

OP
DiscotheCockatiel

DiscotheCockatiel

Jul 1, 2021
Parrots
2 male cockatiels
is it the stuff on the first pic?
if so i just use a damped toothbrush and brush it off (IF YOUR COCKATIEL IS FINE WITH THAT!)
i mean i leave them most of the time..
they wont do anything
Yes it looks like his cheek is spotted now. I tried to gently rub it off with my finger that was damp because that’s less scary when he was in the shower but it didn’t come off which is why I’m confused because normally just a small blow or fluff gets it all gone. Normally I would leave it but after a day or two Im wondering because birds are so good at hiding illness. But it’s not irritating him so I’ll leave it and I can bring it up at the vet if it’s still a problem.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Beautiful cockatiel!!
I see the sane lighter streaks in older picture, maybe they stand out more with the darker cheek color?

Darker cheek from improved diet , hormonal?

Anyway I will follow to see what information turns up.

But Definitely a handsome guy

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I think what you are looking at is pin feathers.
the reason for the difference in color is because you are seeing the carotin sheath that protects the feather when growing.

OP
DiscotheCockatiel

DiscotheCockatiel

Jul 1, 2021
Parrots
2 male cockatiels
Beautiful cockatiel!!
I see the sane lighter streaks in older picture, maybe they stand out more with the darker cheek color?

Darker cheek from improved diet , hormonal?

Anyway I will follow to see what information turns up.

But Definitely a handsome guy
Their diet has greatly improved from seed to chop and pellets (Harrison’s and roudybush) and have been eating like that for about a year so it’s not super recent. He actually used to be very hormonal with my other male cockatiel but that has actually mostly stoped. I agree I think that the streaks stand out more with the darker cheek but there’s also some sort of fluff that won’t go away.

OP
DiscotheCockatiel

DiscotheCockatiel

Jul 1, 2021
Parrots
2 male cockatiels
I think what you are looking at is pin feathers.
the reason for the difference in color is because you are seeing the carotin sheath that protects the feather when growing.
He had some pin feathers but doesn’t have any now it’s more of a fluff that normally falls off but on his cheek it stays put.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
You know, he can’t preen his own head, so pin feathers and messy feathers stay around longer. Does he let you scratch his head? If he does, see if you can rub his cheek/ ear area.

I wouldn’t be worried about that little bit of fluff or feather sheath.

OP
DiscotheCockatiel

DiscotheCockatiel

Jul 1, 2021
Parrots
2 male cockatiels
You know, he can’t preen his own head, so pin feathers and messy feathers stay around longer. Does he let you scratch his head? If he does, see if you can rub his cheek/ ear area.

I wouldn’t be worried about that little bit of fluff or feather sheath.
Yes he lets me rub his head and after a few days of 15 minutes of scatches it’s back to normal! I looked at his ear during scratches and it looks normal! Thank you!

Most Reactions

Latest posts