30 year old Grey adoption

MM16

Mar 21, 2021
Parrots
No parrots now, grew up with a rescue Yellow naped Amazon
There is a 30 year old Grey in need of a home. I have a few question and concerns.
-She has been with the current owner all her life, and is only on a seed diet? Was told she was healthy but the seed only diet is a concern
-the owner said she recently has a few small patches of pink come on her wing, she is sending me pictures
- she is in a 30x30 cage with not a lot of toys
-her current household is similar to mine in terms of activity level
-she hasn't been neglected, the owner is acknowledging she doesn't have the time anymore(no feather plucking)
-what are some other concerns I should have adopting her or questions I should be asking.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Pink/red feathers are not uncommon when a grey's nutritional needs are not being met and an all seed diet would do that. If you get the bird I highly recommend transitioning them onto chop/pellets.
I would also recommend getting the biggest cage you can afford and stock it with natural wood perches and toys that the bird can shred.

OP
M

MM16

Mar 21, 2021
Parrots
No parrots now, grew up with a rescue Yellow naped Amazon
Pink/red feathers are not uncommon when a grey's nutritional needs are not being met and an all seed diet would do that. If you get the bird I highly recommend transitioning them onto chop/pellets.
I would also recommend getting the biggest cage you can afford and stock it with natural wood perches and toys that the bird can shred.
Thanks, that was my plan if I move forward.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Wonderful to take in a re home.

Some parrots for through a grieving period even if leaving a terrible home. And some just adjust quickly. I took a well loved and well treated new home and she just was happy and transition easy, I also took in an abused parrot and she grieved and acted out at first. Then became a sweet love. So just be understanding that its a transition time, for a highly intelligent creature.

A much larger cage is needed. But also plan to have hangout spots and have them out and part of the family as much as possible. Create routine and rituals, and explain stuff to them. Somehow they understand more than you think.

On diet , lots of ways to go about it. Definitely have a scale and weigh birds weekly. Not only fir diet changes but to pick up health issues early. I feed what they are used to. But I also offer lots of new better stuff in different dishes. I hand feed little tastes of stuff. Share a plate of salad and veggies , or each have your own. Anything you make fir yourself that is safe give them a taste. The more textures, shapes and stuff they try, the better they get at trying new foods. Offer stuff cooked, raw, cut up, minced, whole, offer every different way. I prefer big chunk of veggies, as I want them to work at it and use those beaks, but I mix it up too. Sometimes some cut up steamed veggies mixed in a little cooked pasta, or fresh cooked quinoa or cooked lentils and beans , some boiled egg, or some cooked oatmeal, sprouts, you name it they get it and they love new stuff, whole pea pods or green beans, or in a rush some thawed peas . Bell pepper, and hit red chill pepper are liked by many parrot and great source if vitamin A. Cooked sweet potatoes, cooked squash . Personally I'm not big on pre made chop, why nit serve it fresh? I offer spread out on plates so they can explore .

Anyway keep us updated ! And yes she can still bond and be friends with you

GrumpyInWabasha

Sep 1, 2021
Parrots
Formerly had - Congo African Grey
My CAG was with its owner til he passed. Then to our house. Because she was used to living with the one old man, she hated women. Our CAG was very friendly and well behaved so long as I was home. As soon as I left, she would bite the snot out of my wife and just plain get nasty with her. I had to find her another home as there was no way I could have been home more at the time. Now that I am retired, I’d love to find another rescue CAG or bigger talking parrot. I was never able to get ours into a pellet diet but as I remember, she ate well on seeds and fresh fruits. We never had any feather issues.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Kudos for considering adopting a mature Grey! All-seed diet a concern for potential chronic illnesses not yet apparent. Keep in mind transition to healthier foods can mitigate or reverse many if not all maladies. An avian vet well-check with lab work can identify potential issues and target corrective diet. As mentioned, a large cage filled with toys truly a gift to this bird!!

Greys can be stubborn but a joyous bond well worth the effort of love, patience, and time! Please consider linked thread a sage primer on all things Grey! https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/cag-101.59366/

Most Reactions

Latest posts