7 week lovebird weaned?

Ren90

Feb 7, 2016
Hello, I was wondering if as the title says that is possible? My little guy was eating his spray but I haven't seen him eat his seed. It is the second day I have had him I guess I should give him a chance to settle in.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Just weaned birds can regress, and sometimes they are too afraid to eat much for the first day or two.

Hopefully he's eating well now!

Kae

May 18, 2015
California
Parrots
Cockatiel-Artemis 2 Lovies-Angel&Addie Senegal(My dad's)
His breeder might have weaned him onto a different food mix. Give him time to adjust, though, and he should start eating more.

Sucre

Jan 16, 2016
Kentucky
Parrots
Sun conure, black capped conure, yellow sided conure, and a turquoise IRN
I finished weaning all of mine, I got them when they were down to 2 hand feedings of formula a day. If he doesn't eat soon - they can get malnourished quickly, you might want to go back to formula for a week or so, and taper off again. I would want him eating seed as well as millet. Not much nutritional value in millet!

You can get the formula at any pet store, and just mix it with warm water until it is a gravy consistency. I have hand fed formula using a syringe, but my favorite method is taking a plastic spoon and lightly heating the spoon on both sides with a lighter, molding it into somewhat of a funnel. The birds eat out of the end of it and you can just tap the spoon to get the formula to move forward so they can get to it easily.

Mine were completely weaned at 7 weeks, but I got them all at 4 and 5 weeks, so got work the process out myself.

I could also chop up broccoli very fine (as tiny as seed) at that point and they loved it.

Hope this helps somewhat!

Most Reactions