8 month old gcc trying to mate with 4 month old gcc

Grigals

Sep 21, 2020
Parrots
Yellow sided green cheek
Hi again everyone! So i got my green cheek Kirby a friend because he was really lonely... they have just started to get along since yesterday which I'm so happy about :) Kirby has just started puberty and well... he's been trying to mate with his new friend (female 4 months) non stop. She just wants to be preened but he's always trying to get ontop of her 🤦 Anyway Chihiro (new bird) is only 4 months old and hasn't reached puberty yet. She doesn't like it when Kirby tries to mate with her. And Kirby gets angry when she doesn't mate back. Will he stop trying to mate with her all the time? They are in separate cages but next to eachother. In the future it would be nice if they could be in the same cage.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I wouldn't assume you can ever put them in the same cage. This is nature and could lead to injury because refusal doesn't always go well and consent leads to eggs etc...Plus, with new babies, you are looking at many more cages (as siblings, in many cases, will reproduce and create serious health problems if not prevented from doing do).

OP
G

Grigals

Sep 21, 2020
Parrots
Yellow sided green cheek
I wouldn't assume you can ever put them in the same cage. This is nature and could lead to injury because refusal doesn't always go well and consent leads to eggs etc...Plus, with new babies, you are looking at many more cages (as siblings, in many cases, will reproduce and create serious health problems if not prevented from doing do).

I'm not going to put them in the same cage until she reaches puberty and even then not unless she picks him as a mate. If they do lay I will be getting rid of the eggs

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Its the mating season , or lest the tail end if it.
Hopefully she will let him know to back off. But you will have to redirect him and step in to stop any harassing.

And have separate time out if the cage for each.

After this hormone season passes the next will be in the fall. And you will have to manage things again. Unfortunately some males are not kind , even to their chosen mate, abd can't be housed together

Most Reactions