9/10 month update (advice needed)

Derpology

Jun 22, 2021
USA east coast
Parrots
Rascal aprox 37 yr Cockatoo
I'm not sure ho w to go about writing this, writing was never my strong suit, hold on. Back in December I set some goals for myself, I listed them here (6month update). And if you dont know about my situation pop back to that update it goes into more detail about how I ended up where I am today.

my goals were to reduce dust,
get him a bigger cage,
and work on his over preening issue.
I didn't list it but I also wanted to work on his dry skin.

Not everything over the last few months have gone to plan. the money I saved for his new cage ended up having to be used as a down payment on a new(er) car
so thats on delay. But because I felt bad I saved up money to get a good sized all wooded perch that he can climb on and chew all he likes.

I have hit a wall with my research on his dry skin and plucking. My biggest concern is that he's bored but I'm stuck on what I could even do. The only toys he likes are wooden blocks, and sometimes shredders. This makes it hard for me to set up varying toys, he will ignore sound or visual toys and only cares about foraging toys if there's nuts. I dont want to overload with nuts so there's some days that he only chews on wood and It makes me feel like I'm not giving enough. Maybe his plucking and over preening because he doesn't like the foraging options for that day or the preening toy I offered isn't interesting. Along with that I've looked into what causes dry skin and I've tried supplementing vitamin A but over the last 3 months of healthier food, regular showers and supplements nothings changed. I'm getting more and more concerned that its a health issue. thing is I'm in a cold climate and it dont make driving to the vet the easiest. Its been well below freezing outside just about every day these last few months and now that its worming up ill get the opportunity to take him to a vet but I'm not sure he can handle it. travel in the past has caused him to self mutilate and I dont want to put him through that.
My thoughts are maybe its a health condition causing this dry skin and plucking/preening issue or maybe its his age he is almost 40, Or maybe its because hes been plucking and shredding his feathers for well over 20 years . I'm frustrated and I feel like I'm failing him.

the quick and dirty of it is, these last few months have been tough I've spent tons of money trying to help and I'm not getting anywhere. I'm not sure If I can even take him to a vet because not only will he mutilate himself in the car I feel like it will break the delicate trust we have built. I dont know what I can do.

I'm sorry I'm all over the place rascal managed to cuddle with me, bite me, and cause at least 2 other distractions while trying to put this together. I can clarify anything that is confusing I just really need some advice. what can I do better I feel like I've tried everything I've read about but there's got to be something I can do for him.

Attachments

• IMG_5484.JPG
    IMG_5484.JPG
    307 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_5486.JPG
    IMG_5486.JPG
    325.7 KB · Views: 91

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
You know the funny thing? I was going back to my old threads and re read your 6 month update before I stumbled across this new post of yours. And now you're here. Thought that was a funny coincidence.
Back to your dilemma. I hope someone jumps in and tries to help as much as they can, I really couldn't think of anything except the vet visit but you said that will be difficult to manage. I'm so sorry. Genuinely. I know its a tough place to be in right now, but praying for you, okay? :)

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
You know the funny thing? I was going back to my old threads and re read your 6 month update before I stumbled across this new post of yours. And now you're here. Thought that was a funny coincidence.
Back to your dilemma. I hope someone jumps in and tries to help as much as they can, I really couldn't think of anything except the vet visit but you said that will be difficult to manage. I'm so sorry. Genuinely. I know its a tough place to be in right now, but praying for you, okay? :)
When I think of something, I will come back here.

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Hello I'm back.
So I read through your post carefully, and one thing I can suggest is basic but worth a shot. Make sure to give him regular showers as the warmer months approach. This will help him to relieve some or any discomfort he may feel in his skin as well as shed some of that keratin in pin feathers or just anywhere he feels is "itchy" on his body. It could help somewhat with that problem but may not resolve it.
Which is why I'm gonna say this. I know it's not what you want to hear due to the current circumstances and your concerns for him, but you MUST take him to a vet to rule out any health issues or skin problems that you think he may have. If there's a gut feeling that something is wrong, it most likely means that there really is an issue, and it must be addressed. That can only be done professionally. So seek your CAV. And don't worry about the trust that could deteriorate from it or the fact that he could display plucking habits again on the way, that's what you are going to the vet for. And to me at least, my birds physical health is super important and must not be neglected even if that means I drove him there and he hates my guts. That can be fixed in the long-run with a little time, for health's sake.
And finally, I'd save this as a last resort. You went to the vet, nothing helped. You tried to reduce plucking in superficial ways, still nothing? Then do this. If you want.
Make a little "sock sweater" for your bird if you really think you need to or if your bird is having a really bad plucking day or you think the activities you provided him are not meaningful to him in any way. As annoying as it may be. Because you're trying.
There's a tutorial on how to make this sweater on youtube for pluckers and you can look into those.
With this, your bird is not restricted to movement if you did it right. He should also be able to breathe fine with no restriction on the crop area. A very sensitive part.
Your bird will not be able to pluck as many feathers out or disturb his skin or harm it in any way with this sock sweater acting as a barrier between beak and body. Bonus, keeps him warm a little bit in a cold climate like yours but enough to air out because it's not super covering.
Again, last resort. But overall, give those showers on a daily basis, get him to a CAV for check up, and sock sweater if all else fails and behavior worsens.
Another thing you could do and I just thought of this. Kings cages is a company that makes and sells parrot care equipment and any parrot care necessities. They also make this one thing I think is called "pluck no more!" Which essentially is a calming agent for birds that you spray onto their skin and feathers to reduce plucking behavior and over preening. It calms them and soothes irritated skin. And it's usually a available on their site or even Amazon. So you could access this product somewhat easily.
Directions are on the product too.
But know that although it's preferred and great to reduce your birds plucking habits, it cannot be eliminated unfortunately. But doing all these things can help alleviate some tension from both you and your bird so it's worth a try. :)

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I'm so glad you're here, reaching out, getting help.
My 37 year old Patagonian Conure has recently started some neck area plucking, and his wonderful vet has had to address some heart concerns with meds. I, too, worry about failing, but, as long as I am doing my level best... well... that's my best.
Please hang in there, love that bird with all your might, and know this... YOUR best is all you can do.
I'm so, so, glad you're here.

OP
Derpology

Derpology

Jun 22, 2021
USA east coast
Parrots
Rascal aprox 37 yr Cockatoo
So I gave him a shower wich he very much did not like but he behaved through it, as well as snuck a sock sweater onto him.
Hello I'm back.
So I read through your post carefully, and one thing I can suggest is basic but worth a shot. Make sure to give him regular showers as the warmer months approach. This will help him to relieve some or any discomfort he may feel in his skin as well as shed some of that keratin in pin feathers or just anywhere he feels is "itchy" on his body. It could help somewhat with that problem but may not resolve it.
Which is why I'm gonna say this. I know it's not what you want to hear due to the current circumstances and your concerns for him, but you MUST take him to a vet to rule out any health issues or skin problems that you think he may have. If there's a gut feeling that something is wrong, it most likely means that there really is an issue, and it must be addressed. That can only be done professionally. So seek your CAV. And don't worry about the trust that could deteriorate from it or the fact that he could display plucking habits again on the way, that's what you are going to the vet for. And to me at least, my birds physical health is super important and must not be neglected even if that means I drove him there and he hates my guts. That can be fixed in the long-run with a little time, for health's sake.
And finally, I'd save this as a last resort. You went to the vet, nothing helped. You tried to reduce plucking in superficial ways, still nothing? Then do this. If you want.
Make a little "sock sweater" for your bird if you really think you need to or if your bird is having a really bad plucking day or you think the activities you provided him are not meaningful to him in any way. As annoying as it may be. Because you're trying.
There's a tutorial on how to make this sweater on youtube for pluckers and you can look into those.
With this, your bird is not restricted to movement if you did it right. He should also be able to breathe fine with no restriction on the crop area. A very sensitive part.
Your bird will not be able to pluck as many feathers out or disturb his skin or harm it in any way with this sock sweater acting as a barrier between beak and body. Bonus, keeps him warm a little bit in a cold climate like yours but enough to air out because it's not super covering.
Again, last resort. But overall, give those showers on a daily basis, get him to a CAV for check up, and sock sweater if all else fails and behavior worsens.
Another thing you could do and I just thought of this. Kings cages is a company that makes and sells parrot care equipment and any parrot care necessities. They also make this one thing I think is called "pluck no more!" Which essentially is a calming agent for birds that you spray onto their skin and feathers to reduce plucking behavior and over preening. It calms them and soothes irritated skin. And it's usually a available on their site or even Amazon. So you could access this product somewhat easily.
Directions are on the product too.
But know that although it's preferred and great to reduce your birds plucking habits, it cannot be eliminated unfortunately. But doing all these things can help alleviate some tension from both you and your bird so it's worth a try. :)
So, I gave him a rinse to try and elevate the itching and booked him a vet appointment along with finding my biggest sock and making the best sweater I could and off the bat he seems more relaxed but time will tell.
I'm going to try to get him outside and maybe sitting in the car a couple times before the vets apt so he is familiar.

Most Reactions

Latest posts