A parrot "mini-encyclopedia"

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I started doing a "parrot mini-encyclopedia" and wanted to ask you a bit strange question - are there any.... grammar mistakes?:eek: You know I'm not native English speaker. There probably will not be many people who will see it but anyway I'd like to avoid repeating the same mistakes. I'm asking now but I will not ask about it again after doing other species.
I'll write also the description about conures in general (because there will be different categories):
They are very social. They often love biting fingers, ears etc. In the wild (unlike most other parrots) they sleep in tree hollows.
Bigger conures (like Aratinga genus) are louder then smaller ones (like Pyrrhura).

Ps. I know it's already done by Parrots.org (and most infos are from there) but that's just for fun.

25968d1615570816-parrot-mini-encyclopedia-green-cheeked-parakeet.jpg

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
How neat!! As I'm terrible at spelling....I won't be much help. But thank you for sharing!! I love your passion! Great pictures too

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Great work, Rozalka, my favourite Polish nephew is gonna be famous!!

Only two little typos that I could see....

"Bigger conures (like Aratinga genus) are louder than smaller ones (like Pyrrhura)", and the "o" and the "u" are back to front in "Turquoise" on the illustration.

Other than that, I love your work! :smile015:

Last edited:
OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Great work, Rozalka, my favourite Polish nephew is gonna be famous!!

Only two little typos that I could see....

"Bigger conures (like Aratinga genus) are louder than smaller ones (like Pyrrhura)", and the "o" and the "u" are back to front in "Turquoise" on the illustration.

Other than that, I love your work! :smile015:
Thank you Martina :) You corrected my two "making-all-the-time" mistakes:D I know what is the meaning of "then" and "than" by idk why I mix them... Also, I've always had troubles with spelling "turquoise" (believe me - I checked the correct one on the Internet but this didn't help me:p I don't know why this word is so hard to write for me :eek:)

Ps. I don't know if you noticed it in lower left - is "Data in the day" the correct sentence? I had a big problem how to translate it

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Thank you Martina :) You corrected my two "making-all-the-time" mistakes:D I know what is the meaning of "then" and "than" by idk why I mix them... Also, I've always had troubles with spelling "turquoise" (believe me - I checked the correct one on the Internet but this didn't help me:p I don't know why this word is so hard to write for me :eek:)

Ps. I don't know if you noticed it in lower left - is "Data in the day" the correct sentence? I had a big problem how to translate it

Oh Rozalka that "then" and "than" thing pops up all the time, and spellcheck doesn't pick it up because it's not a misspelling!

"Data in the day"....hmmmmm....I imagine what you're trying to say is something like "Data correct as at 03.12.2021"?

Gemster

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 4, 2019
Media
Parrots
Valentine-budgie (M),
Daphne-budgie (F)
Rip-Sky
Rip-Bell
I think there is a slight mistake at the bottom of the image. Except instead of expect?

It looks great. Zenek jest piękny :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Just a general point. Always remember to reference your sources when you use their text, pictures, drawings, etc... This will keep your sources happy and allow your readers to reference those sources.

Love what you are creating!

Cheers!

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
I think there is a slight mistake at the bottom of the image. Except instead of expect?

It looks great. Zenek jest piękny :)
Yes, there is a mistake, thank you :)

Just a general point. Always remember to reference your sources when you use their text, pictures, drawings, etc... This will keep your sources happy and allow your readers to reference those sources.

Love what you are creating!

Cheers!
I didn't mention it - there also will be links including to these websites from which the pictures and informations are (+ voice link).

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Roz, if you're going to do a page about the purple crowned lorikeet for your encyclopedia, you know where to come if you need a picture, don't you?? ;)

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Roz, if you're going to do a page about the purple crowned lorikeet for your encyclopedia, you know where to come if you need a picture, don't you?? ;)
I know what you mean, thank you :D It's just the beginning - I do more common species first (I've done about 5 species in Polish so far, in English will be less) but if I do about PCL, I'll write this with a dedication to you and HRH Lilly Pilly:D;)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Roz, the only other minor tweak you may consider is the word "Informations" underneath the pic of Zenek - no need for it to be pluralized as "Information" would be quite sufficient.

Otherwise it's looking very good indeed!

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Roz, the only other minor tweak you may consider is the word "Informations" underneath the pic of Zenek - no need for it to be pluralized as "Information" would be quite sufficient.

Otherwise it's looking very good indeed!
Thank you :) And "more informations" also should be as "more information"? It's not on the picture but as a description which I didn't write here

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yes I think "more information" or "most information" sounds better all round :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Just when one believes they have a understanding of the language, it bites you!

There are a few words that pluralize using the preceding word and information is one of them.

FYI: Ask either Anansi or Scott for the Why!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts