A question about rescues

OP
Minimaker

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
Yeah it's like sweeping up a closet with a bare floor, such a cinch. They are such a pain to build but afterwards it makes for easy maintenance. I am not looking forward to asking my husband about another one though. Our last one was really trying because we didn't know what we were doing sometimes and we messed up-then had to fix our mess ups. Hopefully a smaller one will be less stressful for him. I really just hope the two macaws end up loving each other so much that they want to be together anyway. Do you think that could be possible, or is it never safe to have them in the same cage even after they bond?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah, everything needs to revolve around ease of cleaning. Otherwise, it only looks pretty for the first two days or so... after that NOT SO MUCH!

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Ive gotten half of mine through craigslist . All the birds I can say were not getting enough attention . They have come to be my most bonded birds though. Ive gotten 4 Macaws off of craigslist. IMO the owners that I got them from did not seem that into their birds. Some didn't even call them the right species . ALL OF THEM said they didn't play with toys !!! That's 11 of my birds ! Here they play with toys . Most had just a seed mix diet . I think craigslist is the true rescue . Think of it this way, you have Macaw experience you are able to understand the species. I don't think birds at rescues are any better behaved . Ask the birds routine ,how much its handled ,whats its likes and dislikes. Remember it takes time to win their trust :)

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Yeah it's like sweeping up a closet with a bare floor, such a cinch. They are such a pain to build but afterwards it makes for easy maintenance. I am not looking forward to asking my husband about another one though. Our last one was really trying because we didn't know what we were doing sometimes and we messed up-then had to fix our mess ups. Hopefully a smaller one will be less stressful for him. I really just hope the two macaws end up loving each other so much that they want to be together anyway. Do you think that could be possible, or is it never safe to have them in the same cage even after they bond?

Now that he has experience it will be a cinch [emoji5]

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
I live in Illinois as well. There are two rescues I know of, one in Northbrook (I believe) who are very, very hesitant to adopt out birds, especially larger ones, and one in Villa Park... they're much happier to adopt out, but tend to prefer to adopt out to volunteers, and do like to see you interact with the bird several times before sending it home with you.

I know it's frustrating, but they're dedicated to making sure their birds find good homes. I volunteer with the Villa Park location regularly, the GCCBC, and they're wonderful people. They are a bit cold on the phone and over email but they're just a bit... jaded. They've seen a lot of very, very bad bird owners, and it gets exhausting for a while, and you start to assume the worst out of adopters.

This is a long thread and I didn't read the whole thing but if you have a question about Illinois rescues in the Chicagoland area feel free to PM me. There's also a few in nearby states that I know of.

Most Reactions