A sad introduction to relive my guilt

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
Hello everyone I'm new to this group and I hate for this to be my introduction. However I need to share this so I can maybe start this journey again.
I've been a parrot companion for several decades and only lost them due to age until my dearest Veggie. Veggie was a bronze wing pi and my very best bird friend. We did everything together we where rarely apart from each other. He was even a co worker with me for close to 10 yrs when I was working retail. It's hard to tell a group of folks who love their birds as much as I love Veggie, that Veggie was the ultimate perfect companion and very best bird. But it's true. He was amazing truly one of a kind. He was tolerant and gentle; and always willing to try even during the challenging times of the year. Veggie was with me for just shy of 20yrs so we really knew each other's quirks well.

The sad part of this story happened very quickly and I'll share it quickly so maybe it will make me remember where we where happy together not just that tragic day.

Our morning started the same as usual we ate our oatmeal and raisins together. Watched a little news and I put him back in his cage and left for work. When I came home we had our tea and visit then back to his cage while I ran some errands.
When I arrived home and opened the door I heard his low growl. And knew it was going to be bad... I found him sitting in his food bowl covered in blood and a very injured leg he had clearly been tangled in a basket style toy. We rushed to the emergency vet that's an hour away. Since we where in the throws of covid I was not aloud in the office with him. I wanted to try and save him but he passed while the administered the sedative for surgery. I feel so responsible for his death and feel like I barely got to say goodbye. We are the caretakers of our pets and friends but sometime life takes cruel turns. We do the best we can forthem to remember those we've lost.

Attachments

• 20220201_135007.jpg
    20220201_135007.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 123
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I'm so sorry for the loss of veggie❀️
Just know that you did the best you could and he will look down on you from the rainbow bridge and remember that you did the best for him.
Godspeed to the Rainbow Bridge, little guy.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
It's not your fault at all, I promise. It's nobody's fault. It just happens, and there's nothing you can do about it, even though you wish you could. I've been there multiple times though, and it gets better eventually.
Veggie was beautiful, and he was so lucky to have had you.
Fly free, Veggie boy, you will be missed πŸ«‚πŸŒΉ

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yes we all do and we all (Most) have had to deal with a similar case. They are here and then ......gone. Not your fault. Try to remember the good times and hope to see him again over the Bridge.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so very sorry for your loss of Beautiful Veggie. Accidents sadly happen, and you did everything possible you could do for him. I'm so sorry you couldn't be in the room with him, but I know he felt you right there beside him.
Fly free, Sweet Veggie, you will be forever missed, forever loved and forever remembered.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
My deepest condolences for your tragic loss of gorgeous Veggie. Accidents occur despite our very best care; I well understand your feelings of responsibility. Please embrace your loving thoughts of Veggie as you grieve, be kind to yourself. I hope in time memories bring more joy than sadness and despair.

Most Reactions

Latest posts