Abnormal feather coloring?

CharlieBiiird

Oct 9, 2021
Parrots
Severe Macaw
Hey everyone! I finally made an account on here to get my questions answered directly so you are active on here I appreciate all the answers and help you guys have provided me before making this account.

anyway… I have a severe macaw named Charlie. He will be 5 on October 18th. Recently I have had some concerns about his feathers and I am not sure if those concernes require vet attention. Here is a picture of his feathers. From what I am aware, the black is normal on the edges of his flight feathers but I am not sure what is going on with that one feather that looks to have lost all color completely. If anyone has answers to this, I’d greatly appreciate it. Thank you!!

Attachments

• 5BFAAAC7-DE5E-498B-A89D-50BBEFD521B7.jpeg
    5BFAAAC7-DE5E-498B-A89D-50BBEFD521B7.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 106

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
He could possibly be molting, or maybe have something more than that going on. I think to be on the safe side, you should consult with your avian vet. Liver disease can be the cause of feathers losing their vibrancy, and you did mention one feather that lost its color. Hope you have Charlie back to normal soon.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
If the feather lost it's colouration through time, nothing to worry much, it's most likely just wear and tear, and possibly will be molted out soon. If it grew like that without colours - that is already a sign to worry and to go have a check up with the vet!

Is it possible that Charlie is chewing on the feathers? I see some of them broken/chewed up and I find it odd that 3 are missing on one wing and other's same spot feathers seem broken.

OP
CharlieBiiird

CharlieBiiird

Oct 9, 2021
Parrots
Severe Macaw
If the feather lost it's colouration through time, nothing to worry much, it's most likely just wear and tear, and possibly will be molted out soon. If it grew like that without colours - that is already a sign to worry and to go have a check up with the vet!

Is it possible that Charlie is chewing on the feathers? I see some of them broken/chewed up and I find it odd that 3 are missing on one wing and other's same spot feathers seem broken.
Thanks so much for your reply!

I just noticed recently about the color loss so I am almost positive it did not grow black. Regarding your other point. The place I took Charlie to get wings and nails trimmed awhile back did a poor job trimming. After he was done I got him out at home and the wings were very jagged. I was very upset about that so I asked them about it and they said they’d grow back so now I am only taking him to the vet for that stuff.

I am for sure going to take him in soon to get looked at for sure though. Thanks for your help!!

OP
CharlieBiiird

CharlieBiiird

Oct 9, 2021
Parrots
Severe Macaw
He could possibly be molting, or maybe have something more than that going on. I think to be on the safe side, you should consult with your avian vet. Liver disease can be the cause of feathers losing their vibrancy, and you did mention one feather that lost its color. Hope you have Charlie back to normal soon.
Thanks for your reply!

I hope it is just molting but like you said, I am going to bring him to the vet to be for sure!

thanks so much!

Most Reactions

Latest posts