Ackward situation

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
I am in a strange situation with Sunshine, my 'tiel right now. Well, he has shown signs of wanting a closer relationship with me (if you know what I mean)...

What am I to do? I love him too, but not this way.

OP
parrotqueen

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Does anybody know how I can discourage this behaviour?

Is he just in a hormonal phase, and I should just wait it out?

OP
parrotqueen

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Somebody can go ahead and delete this. I don't think anybody (including myself) really knows how to fix this problem, and it's probably making everyone feel ackward too.

Riley's mom

Banned
Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Holiday, Florida
Parrots
Military's, African Greys, Blue and Gold, Goffin, conures, quaker, lovebird, senegal parrot
Sorry, just saw this! We had the same problem with my M2 with my daughter. We tried different things such as when she started that behavior, she would just put her back in her cage or on her stand. Peaches would just make her way back to my daughter and have another go at it. Finally, I just hooked a nest box to her cage and she did her nesting thing and was fine when she came out of her cage and would be with my daughter. Not sure if that would work with your bird tho. It always started happening in the spring, last a few weeks and was done. Good luck.:green1:

OP
parrotqueen

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Thank you so much! I will see if I can buy him a snuggly, tent, or a nest.

Allan Gibbs

Jan 16, 2010
Gilbert, Arizona
Parrots
Blue-Gold baby Macaw
So... you're saying you're not inter... well, nevermind. :)

It's most likely a hormonal thing. Have you considered added a female to the flock?

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Hi Queen: This too will pass. We should not have any sort of nesting material in the cage to encourage the bird. Also suggest you only touch the bird on the head and not the body. Spring is coming!!

shrek&fiona

Mar 4, 2010
Media
Ontario
Parrots
Alexandrine's 2
Shrek (M) 2yrs
Fiona (F) 4yrs
I don't think it is making anyone feel awkward... it is really a light-hearted natural thing.
Not to say that it is not a problem but if you look on the bright side of things at least you know that there is a good bond there. I would take it as a compliment, even if it is a little uncomfortable for you.

OP
parrotqueen

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Thank you everyone, and S&F or the positive outlook on things.

Yes, I've read that you can't really cuddle with birds by touching their back. I do have cuddles with him, but strictly just the head down to the neck.

I was already feeling hesitant about getting a nest, and SB pretty much gave me the answer I was looking for; nest material actually encourages hormonal behaviour.

And Allan, I don't know if I should add a female because then Pineapple might fight with Sunshine over her. And plus, I don't know if my life can handle another parrot right now. Thanks for the advice anyway.

OP
parrotqueen

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Update

Here's an update:

Sunshine has actually gotten worse. He is persisting to ask me to be his mate, and I've been having to just put him back in his cage. He has been doing it more often, and I just don't know how to react. Any more tips?

Most Reactions

Latest posts