Adding a second bird?

RebelEgger

Apr 17, 2023
Parrots
Indian Ring Neck
Hello everyone! Niya has been with us about 3.5 months now. She is very bonded with me. Our cats and dogs donā€™t bother her at all.

We were able to adopt her because the house she was in, she was being bullied by 2 conures. IRNā€™s are very hard to find in our area so we are very lucky to have her.

She seems happy enough on her own and to socialize with me, and occasionally tolerate my husband when food is involved. šŸ˜‚

Do you think she needs a friend? She is alone through the day when we are working, but once I am home I spend a few hours with her (and about an hour in the am) and we have our little daily and weekly routines she enjoys.

Getting another IRN isnā€™t really a possibility for us. Do you think she could or would get along with a cockatiel? There are some young ones near us available, we have the space and we have a secondary cage for one. Are these 2 breeds ok together?

Niya is 5 years old. Should I leave it alone and let her be an only bird?

Some photos of our girl for tax šŸ„°

Attachments

• IMG_5611.jpeg
    IMG_5611.jpeg
    285.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5591.jpeg
    IMG_5591.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5311.jpeg
    IMG_5311.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5242.jpeg
    IMG_5242.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5155.jpeg
    IMG_5155.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 20

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Honestly you can never tell which way a new addition is going to go. They could be buddies, they could hate each other, and they could be best buddies and decide to leave you out. And any combination of this. Plus 2x the mess, food and toy bills! Only get an additional parrot if YOU want one, not as a buddy for your original one.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Hello everyone! Niya has been with us about 3.5 months now. She is very bonded with me. Our cats and dogs donā€™t bother her at all.

We were able to adopt her because the house she was in, she was being bullied by 2 conures. IRNā€™s are very hard to find in our area so we are very lucky to have her.

She seems happy enough on her own and to socialize with me, and occasionally tolerate my husband when food is involved. šŸ˜‚

Do you think she needs a friend? She is alone through the day when we are working, but once I am home I spend a few hours with her (and about an hour in the am) and we have our little daily and weekly routines she enjoys.

Getting another IRN isnā€™t really a possibility for us. Do you think she could or would get along with a cockatiel? There are some young ones near us available, we have the space and we have a secondary cage for one. Are these 2 breeds ok together?

Some photos of our girl for tax šŸ„°
Hi! I agree with Saltyā€™s dad. If you want another bird, then get one. Be prepared to handle each one separately.

OP
RebelEgger

RebelEgger

Apr 17, 2023
Parrots
Indian Ring Neck
Thanks for the replies. I have decided not to add a second bird. My girl seems happy enough to interact with me and I donā€™t want to create any additional stress for either of us. Sheā€™s gonna be a one hit wonder šŸ˜Š

RingneckRave

Aug 16, 2023
NSW, Australia
Parrots
Bluey - Indian ringneck
Sunny - Indian ringneck

Conny - Sun Conure (my sister's bird)
Soon to own a second sun conure
Do you think she needs a friend?

Do you think she could or would get along with a cockatiel?

Hard to know, they're not budgies or cockatiels where they will bond most of the time, really depends on the birds. You're going to have to be very patient with bonding two irns, but it can be done.

Bluey was kept alone for about a year before I got Sunny. They would show aggression towards each other and weren't safe to keep in the same cage together, Bluey would scream like she was intruding and was getting heightened by her existence, biting tails ect. I was really worried they would never get along and I'd have to rehome Sunny at the rate they were going. I put them in carriers and had them outside-ish since they didn't see it as their territory then offer them treats for being calm and that seems to have helped, but still iffy.

Months later, I noticed that they were fine with preening nearby and screaming to the other. At one point I'd give up putting Bluey into his cage at night because he was so desperate to be near Sunny's cage it was literally impossible to cage him. I have a double cage, so I put in the divider and put one bird per side.

The next day I instantly knew they were ready. I removed the divider and they are happy with each other's existence. Bluey has a little more independence instead of being clingy and the two birds court often, occasionally attempt to preen each other. I'll include an adorable video of them being cute snugglies! (They still bite tails šŸ˜…)

Must I add, both birds were hand-raised. Hand-raised birds are less likely to get along but in my situation it was successful.

A ringneck would not do good with a cockatiel, they're extremely different in terms of behaviour and a ringneck is capable of injuring a cockatiel. The best parrot species would be with another ringneck, or as a last resort with another Asiatic of similar size and behaviour.

So the choice is yours. I have noticed they're happier together than when they were kept apart, they visit us for attention but they do benefit from a real bird more than they can a human. If they only get along outside of the cage, then they could be caged separately. But no guarantee they'll always get along that is! I'd still suggest give it a go, or consider it, I was very skeptical of it at first but my success has left me with no regrets. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Attachments

• filtered-FAA1D1DC-3495-4DA3-8AD6-E92119308984_1.mov
    2.6 MB
OP
RebelEgger

RebelEgger

Apr 17, 2023
Parrots
Indian Ring Neck
Hard to know, they're not budgies or cockatiels where they will bond most of the time, really depends on the birds. You're going to have to be very patient with bonding two irns, but it can be done.

Bluey was kept alone for about a year before I got Sunny. They would show aggression towards each other and weren't safe to keep in the same cage together, Bluey would scream like she was intruding and was getting heightened by her existence, biting tails ect. I was really worried they would never get along and I'd have to rehome Sunny at the rate they were going. I put them in carriers and had them outside-ish since they didn't see it as their territory then offer them treats for being calm and that seems to have helped, but still iffy.

Months later, I noticed that they were fine with preening nearby and screaming to the other. At one point I'd give up putting Bluey into his cage at night because he was so desperate to be near Sunny's cage it was literally impossible to cage him. I have a double cage, so I put in the divider and put one bird per side.

The next day I instantly knew they were ready. I removed the divider and they are happy with each other's existence. Bluey has a little more independence instead of being clingy and the two birds court often, occasionally attempt to preen each other. I'll include an adorable video of them being cute snugglies! (They still bite tails šŸ˜…)

Must I add, both birds were hand-raised. Hand-raised birds are less likely to get along but in my situation it was successful.

A ringneck would not do good with a cockatiel, they're extremely different in terms of behaviour and a ringneck is capable of injuring a cockatiel. The best parrot species would be with another ringneck, or as a last resort with another Asiatic of similar size and behaviour.

So the choice is yours. I have noticed they're happier together than when they were kept apart, they visit us for attention but they do benefit from a real bird more than they can a human. If they only get along outside of the cage, then they could be caged separately. But no guarantee they'll always get along that is! I'd still suggest give it a go, or consider it, I was very skeptical of it at first but my success has left me with no regrets. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Thank you.

Iā€™ve decided to keep Niya as a single. She seems happy enough and since she came from a bulking situation, I would hate for that to possibly happen again.

Iā€™m glad your two ended up bonding. You just never know what these birds are going to decide to do!!

RingneckRave

Aug 16, 2023
NSW, Australia
Parrots
Bluey - Indian ringneck
Sunny - Indian ringneck

Conny - Sun Conure (my sister's bird)
Soon to own a second sun conure
Iā€™m glad your two ended up bonding. You just never know what these birds are going to decide to do!!
For sure! When I asked around before getting a second ringneck I was told to expect it to fail so I won't be disappointed, especially because they were both hand raised šŸ˜…
Glad my two got along regardless

Most Reactions

Latest posts