Adding another Amazon?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
With people being quarantined and stuck at home/working from home there has been a big uptick in people trying to get rid of their parrots in our area.

One such parrot is a female OWA. My partner and I saw it and it broke our hearts but initially we told ourselves no - we don’t want Kirby to get hormonal and persnickety like he was at his old home when his companion was a female blue front, and we don’t want the female to start laying. However, it’s still listed for “trade or sale” (honestly the idea of trading your pet for another pet infuriates me) and I keep thinking about her.

Am I right to not want to rock the boat? We’re still settling into our new house and the birds are really starting to get to know and explore their new room. I don’t want to ruin the relationship we have with our birds or their relationship with each other (I worry he might get aggressive with the cockatiel if we introduce a bird he might view as a mate). However, I know we could provide a good home for another amazon if we needed to.

I’m also not sure if she’s DNA sexed - she was supposedly a companion for their rescue parrot who passed away. She’s 13 years old and Kirby is in his 30s.

Unrelated, but nothing is funnier than when Kirby gets mad we aren’t up fast enough on the weekends and starts machine-gun barking. :24:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
To me there is always room in your heart. If there us also room in you budget and care taking ability. Then grab your tail feathers and go for it!!!!

Parrots are flock and social creatures.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
As far as getting along..you never know until you try. Amy was always used to bigger birds,Smokey a TAG and Jonesy a Goffin 'too..and with little BB here for over four years Amy shows zero aggression towards him..actually Amy is very protective and runs at ME if I try to interact with BB. BB tolerates Amy,often hanging out with him on Amys play top. When he has had enough he flies to me.

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
With people being quarantined and stuck at home/working from home there has been a big uptick in people trying to get rid of their parrots in our area.

One such parrot is a female OWA. My partner and I saw it and it broke our hearts but initially we told ourselves no - we don’t want Kirby to get hormonal and persnickety like he was at his old home when his companion was a female blue front, and we don’t want the female to start laying. However, it’s still listed for “trade or sale” (honestly the idea of trading your pet for another pet infuriates me) and I keep thinking about her.

Am I right to not want to rock the boat? We’re still settling into our new house and the birds are really starting to get to know and explore their new room. I don’t want to ruin the relationship we have with our birds or their relationship with each other (I worry he might get aggressive with the cockatiel if we introduce a bird he might view as a mate). However, I know we could provide a good home for another amazon if we needed to.

I’m also not sure if she’s DNA sexed - she was supposedly a companion for their rescue parrot who passed away. She’s 13 years old and Kirby is in his 30s.

Unrelated, but nothing is funnier than when Kirby gets mad we aren’t up fast enough on the weekends and starts machine-gun barking. :24:

As you may know, we are a single Amazon Home and plan to continue being such. That does not mean that I am against Multi-Amazon Household just that much has to be taken into account.

As an individual deep within the CV-19 danger zone and plus 20 years from now places me beyond the longes lived relative, adding an Amazon to our household makes no sense, especially if I would be looking at a young Amazon. At some point, another family member would be looking for yet another home for that Amazon.

Another point is whether the Parrots would get along with each other or not. Whether the Amazons would bond and the Humans would be on the outside looking in and whether they would gang up on the Tiel or not.

Time is the biggest issue, as adding a Parrot steals time from the others. And, regarding time, three Parrots will be a bit more to clean-up after.

IMHO, and there will be those who may disagree -- one dumping an Amazon because of CV-19, to me, states that the relationship was not that good before hand! People being around 24 hours a day is a bonus as far as the Amazon is concern. Point being, they where steps away from dumping the bird to begin with. The big concern comes when the Amazon is left at home as the household returns to work and behavior problems intensify.

Unless your household was looking to add a Parrot to begin with, IMHO, its not a good idea for your household to add an Amazon.

Just my two cents from my slanted vantage point...

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
If you are certain that you have the time and money to tend to them separately (including separate out of cage time), in the event that they don't get along, or get along too well (wink wink). Also, remember to quarantine any future bird for 45 days as far from your other bird as you are able (and wash hands/arms in between handling).
Also, remember that 2 birds can sometimes bond together and make the human the 3rd wheel.
Obviously people do it, but the point is, if you aren't prepared to accept the worst, then consider whether rocking the boat is worth it.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Thank you all! Saying no was my first instinct so I’ll stick to my guns. We love our boys and think we have exactly as much bird as we can handle right now, and I’d hate for either of them to have less time with us.

Most Reactions

Latest posts