Adoptable Birds at A Helping Wing Rescue - Blairstown NJ

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
Hello everyone!

As some of you know I volunteer and help with advertising/adoptions at A Helping Wing. A Helping Wing is a registered 501(c)-3 that is located in Blairstown NJ. At any time the shelter can have up to 200 birds including the smaller guys like cockatiels and budgies. Some of the most adoptable birds can be found on petfinder. Since there are only about 40 birds listed on petfinder you will find many more birds at the shelter if you make a visit. Some of those birds are considered unadoptable but we believe that there is always a chance someone will come in that the bird just responds to for some unknown reason. I adopted one of those birds,Folger my bare eyed cockatoo you can look at past threads if you are interested in his story, and just recently another one of those birds was adopted by a young guy. So just because a bird has known issues do not let that deter you from meeting them because some of them just respond differently when the right person walks through our doors!

The adoption process is fairly simple, the first step is to complete the online application on the website - ahelpingwing.org. You will then be contacted with any questions or to review what you are looking for and set up your first visit to the shelter. The shelter is privately owned and run, so everything is by appointment. The first visit you will have the chance to interact with any bird you are interested in, or one that shows an interest in you. We suggest to adopters to come in with an open mind and usually the right bird for you will let you know! There are multiple visits require to interact with the bird under various conditions / stimuli to ensure the match is good for both the family and the bird. During the time span of the visits we will also ask to do a home visit which is a great opportunity to go over the best spots for setting up cage / playstand and to discuss any hazards in the home which may not have been considered or realized. Overall the process is fairly quick and simple, and never fear a home visit - we do not expect anyone to live in a immaculate home or have bird cages that are spotless! We all live with birds too, so we are very realistic about what living with birds really looks like!

We adopt out of state! I'm in PA and have adopted Kelly and Folger from A Helping Wing. When you get farther away about 3 hours we have a little more trouble working with people since we require the multiple visits. If you are committed and a good adopter we try to accommodate the ones that live farther away sometimes. At one point we had adopters working with a blue and gold macaw. They live about 3 hours away but my house is a half way point between the shelter and their house. So Jeanne brought the blue and gold down to my place each visit for the adopters. We do not reduce the amount of visits required because you are farther away. If you want to adopt then you would have to travel those 3 hours to make the visits at least 3 times.

Now on to the birds!!

Ivan the brown throated conure...he is also one of my old fosters. He is a lot better than when I first fostered him but he is still a hands off kind of guy. He will sit with you but he doesn't really enjoy cuddles. Ivan also has a scissor beak and will require regular beak trims for the rest of his life to keep it under control.

Beasley is our overweight blue and gold. In a home he will slim up with lots of activity. He can be very challenging so macaw experience is best but with the right person he will be a wonderful macaw.

Paco is my old foster a blue fronted amazon. He needs a home that is understanding that he does not like to be cuddled or pet and one that will not push him too hard for interactions. He would not do well in a home with kids. Paco has shown aggression to people he doesn't like but with me he is very good. So if he picks you he will be a good addition to your flock!

This is Millie she is still with us. She is a friendly blue and gold...who also loves to flirt with the guys. She has a history of plucking but is not plucking at the moment. Unfortunately her feathers are unlikely to grow back since she has been plucking for a long time.

Pumpkin a red belly poi. He is skittish because of calcium deposits in his eyes causing vision issues. We expect that in a quiet home setting he will settle down with a consistent schedule.

Amiga is another one of our blue and gold macaws. She is very sweet and affectionate and one of our attention hogs. She is jealous and aggressive with other macaws so she would be best as an only macaw.

Loco the green wing macaw. Loco well lives up to the name.... one minute he will be the sweetest bird the next well he isn't the sweetest bird. We think Loco has potential but this is one that the adopter will definitely have to work with for a little while!

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Our little hybrid conure named Sammie. He is a transfer from the humane society. He is starved for attention though slightly shy he is very affectionate.

MacArthur is another blue and gold. He is very shy and hesitant. He needs a lot of work with someone who is patient and has some macaw experience.

Monty is a congo. Extensive vocabulary and seems to prefer women.

Okay on to the ones you haven't seen on this thread yet! For these guys I just pulled the descriptions off petfinder because I'm lazy...

Rocky - Male Citron

[FONT=&quot]**US Fish and Wildlife ESA federal law requires that we can only adopt Rocky into a home in the state of New Jersey**

We have a really sweet boy that has been fostered, but he really wants his own home. He is a guy who lost his beloved owner suddenly and Rocky has been dealing with what seems to be depression, he is very quiet and a bit withdrawn. Rocky was well loved by his previous owner, tho not on the best of diet, but he would spend the evening snuggled on his friend's shoulder watching TV. The passing of his owner was sudden and Rocky did not adapt well being in a loud and busy shelter environment. He has doing incredibly well in a home environment, but still you can just feel his sadness and loneliness. He had been staying with 2 other birds and does enjoy their company, but we are hoping to find a single guy or retired couple that have a quiet home and lots of time to spoil Rocky and shower him with attention, even if that might mean just him hanging out and being with his family. He has great potential and truly seems to be the type of cockatoo that when his family walks in the room, we will all know it and he will just blossom back into the happy outgoing boy we believed he was with his late owner.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Tully - Male Moluccan[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He is about 20 years young. He has not been handled much in life, spent most of his time in a cage. Amazing boy that he is, he loves to be loved! He is very sweet and fairly restrained in behavior. He is loud and does tend to call quite a bit, so Tully cannot live in a condo, townhome or apartment, he will need a home where his calls won't be causing a noise issue with the neighbors!![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Reggie - Male Umbrella

[FONT=&quot]He is literally the size of a moluccan, you will need at least a 30x40 cage for this big boy. He is a very typical male umbrella, he likes who he likes and will be very bonded to the person he chooses, but he will not be a candidate as a family bird. He is high energy, very comical, exceptionally outgoing personality.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Caeser - Female Moluccan[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]She arrived with other birds after her owner passed away suddenly. She is showing signs of mourning, so we hope she finds her new family soon and is a happy girl again with a new family. She is a cuddler but enjoys being out on a playstand. She does need a family that will help her to find her silly inner too and enjoy playing and games.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Sugar Baby - Male Congo African Grey[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He has not bitten anyway, but he has not been handled much in recent years, so he needs time and patience. But, he is very curious and funny, he will easily pick a person and be a wonderful feathered friend! He has shown a preference for men.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Timmy - Male Timneh African Grey

[FONT=&quot]He has not been handled much, but has shown preference for men. He is funny and super curious, has enjoyed exploring the room and surroundings. With just a little work, he will be a funny and very interactive best friend.[/FONT]

Porty - Female Yellow Nape Amazon

[FONT=&quot]Have you ever wanted to live with an opera star!? Now is your chance!! Gorgeous 16 year old Porty sings opera all day, she could truly be a star and have her own show. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Frogger - Female Orange Wing Amazon

[FONT=&quot]Frogger is missing a few toes, so she does not always perch the best, but she is exceptionally playful, loves her cage and showing off, is really a wonderful character and will step up to anyone. She would be a great candidate for a family with older kids who would like a bird that many family members can safely interact with.[/FONT]

Max - Male Blue Fronted Amazon

[FONT=&quot]Max is about 20 years old and came to the shelter when his owner passed away unexpectedly. He was in the same home all his life. Max is very verbal and outspoken, he loves to babble. Typical amazon attitude of liking only who he likes. Max has tremendous potential for the right person that he picks. He was a man's bird all his life, but he has shown great interest in one of our female volunteers. Max is a show off and just non stop chatter and talking. He does have some cage aggression, but it seems more of an issue when there is another bird nearby.[/FONT]

Chevz - Male Blue Fronted Amazon

[FONT=&quot]Chevz is an adult blue front amazon that is a real ladies man! This beautiful boy loves women and really is a charmer, loves holding hands :)[/FONT]

Largo - Male Blue Crown Conure

[FONT=&quot]He needs some experience, he is sweet and friendly, but can get nippy if he is nervous or startled. Largo is a bit nervous, he is fairly independent so excellent bird for a busy home or someone who works longer hours. Once he settles and connects with you, he is a real snuggle bug![/FONT]

Maria - Female Blue and Gold Macaw

[FONT=&quot]She has been wonderful and very friendly and sweet with the women at the shelter. The guys report she is a bit of a handful, but all the women love her![/FONT]

Mickey - Male Scarlet Macaw

[FONT=&quot]This handsome boy was a recent transfer from another shelter. He has lived his life til now in Atlanta. Mickey absolutely loves mature women, he gets quite beaky and will take a swipe at younger women. But women 30, 40 plus, he is the biggest flirt![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Sir & Ma'am - Sun Conure Pair

[FONT=&quot]Sir and Ma'am are a beautiful pair of sun conure siblings. They are 2006 babies, so very young, but past the hormonal puberty stage! They have been together all their lives, so they must be adopted and remain together. They are very quiet for suns. They are friendly, loved head scratches but are not cuddly type suns. They do love to hang out and interact with all the goings on around them. They are a striking pair and will make a wonderful addition to any home![/FONT]

Moglie & Tahiti - Male Dusky Conure Pair

They are my current fosters....I haven't worked with them much yet. They are starting to get the general quiet down atmosphere around here. Generally I sit and play on my laptop while they are hanging out with my small guys. They don't fight with anyone and they leave the big guys alone in their cages. They stay in the bird area and don't go get into random things. The one will step up onto a perch and the other one will fly to my shoulder complaining about the other one cooperating with me:20:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Looks like the rescue has some lovely and gorgeous birds for adoption!!!! :)

I'm curious though.... You say that Sammie is a hybrid? What is he a hybrid of? Cause he doesn't look like a hybrid to me? :confused:

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
It brings a tear to my eye to see all these beautiful majestic creatures in need of a home and a bit of love. God bless those who operate and work tireless hours in rescue shelters. It would break my heart every day to go to work knowing that I would have to leave at the end of the day and not bring all of them home.

mike

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Looks like the rescue has some lovely and gorgeous birds for adoption!!!! :)

I'm curious though.... You say that Sammie is a hybrid? What is he a hybrid of? Cause he doesn't look like a hybrid to me? :confused:

We don't really believe he is a hybrid either but the paperwork says goldcapped and sun or jenday. We just see the gold capped too...

It brings a tear to my eye to see all these beautiful majestic creatures in need of a home and a bit of love. God bless those who operate and work tireless hours in rescue shelters. It would break my heart every day to go to work knowing that I would have to leave at the end of the day and not bring all of them home.

mike

Yeah you eventually bring someone home! We are so packed right now it isn't even funny barely squeezed the birds done with quarantine into the rescue building. And we just got two more in on Sunday a macaw and moluccan.

Sooo eventually I'll update with new birds again....but the two adopted ones from this list are Frogger and guess what.....Sir and Ma'am were adopted!! Finally!

I have one new bird to introduce today....an eclectus named Tweety. He is 3 years old and has never been feed fresh foods. He has been in 3 homes before he was surrendered to the humane society in NY. He was on a diet of cheesepuffs, other human junk food, and some seed. He is a very rough looking and small eclectus. So far he has been face first in his fresh food bowl for the month or so he has been with us. His new feathers are looking very green! He has an awesome personality will give you kisses and greets everyone with a 'Hi Tweety!' when they enter the house.

He needs to go to an ekkie home that will NOT cut any corners when it comes to fresh foods and all natural diet. He has no health issues but he can't handle a bad diet again. His beak is being reshaped a bit since it was overgrown, soft, and misshaped a bit.

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
Frogger the Orange Wing had me at "Hello" if I lived closer I would take her in a heartbeat of a nanosecond!

Ginnybird

Dec 18, 2015
New Jersey near Philadelphia
Parrots
Ginny Indigo, blue-fronted Amazon
I'd love to meet Largo. Such a cute lil guy. But it's a 5-hour round trip (x4) and a lot of time to leave Ginny alone on our days off together. Regardless, thank you for the work you do for these guys!

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Tweety is still up for adoption and looking much greener these days!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Oh wow! As bad as he looks, he is looking so much better than before!! No more cheese puffs for Tweety! Great to see :D.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
It's a question I've asked a million times, it seems...

WHY DO PEOPLE GET THESE BIRDS IF THEY'RE NOT EVEN GOING TO BOTHER TO FEED THEM CORRECTLY?!

The reasoning just escapes me...

bonita

Aug 30, 2014
Pennslyvania
Parrots
Paddy male 8 yr.old GCC Cuddlebug, Emmy female parrotlet RIP Buddy 20 yr. blue headed conure adopted 10/23 Paddy RIP 10/23
Dear Riddick07,I would like to add to my flock. I have a sociable 8 yr. GCC male. He loves to go out in backyard and watch wildlife from covered flight cage. We are retired my daughter son in law and 1yr. grandson live with us.We have a bird friendly dog.

bonita

Aug 30, 2014
Pennslyvania
Parrots
Paddy male 8 yr.old GCC Cuddlebug, Emmy female parrotlet RIP Buddy 20 yr. blue headed conure adopted 10/23 Paddy RIP 10/23
Dear Riddick07, I hope Sammy will mesh with Paddy.

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
I no longer work with this rescue. Not sure who is available & who isn’t. They always have a bunch though. You’ll have to send in an application & contact them!

Most Reactions

Latest posts