Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Thought I might start a new threat with a more catchy name, heheh.

Pascal is my currently 10 month old Emma's conure (species closely related to white eared and painted conures).

I have him currently for 6 weeks, and he seems to be adjusting quite well. He is very hand shy but that's ok, he will get used to stepping up eventually. He was a very fast learner, and it is a miracle that he stepped up onto my hand within the first 2 weeks, considering that he came from a large aviary, parent raised.

Current big steps in the last 6 weeks are that he is eating Roudybush pellets as of day 2 or 3, learned target training within the 1st week, stepped up onto my hand around the 2nd week mark, and was already training stepping up and recalls (he will do it only during training sessions, but that is ok). He will most of the times step up on a tiny T perch I have, but I try to avoid using it, I use it only if I need to get him in the cage ASAP because I am in a hurry. These days he is quite chill, happily spending some time next to me on his playstand that I have on the table while I am working. Actually, today for the first time he dared to get on the actual table and explore a bit, it was really adorable. He is still shy, but given, he is still a very very young bird, very small, so it is to expect he will be shy. He just started to relax, really.

Every day I learn something new about him, from his favourite treats, toys, body language, what type of songs he likes, what every screech and chatter means... it is truly an experience.

I learned around 3 week mark that he LOVES rock music. He loves loud rock music. He goes nuts - starts chirping and yapping, it is so funny! And he more often does it especially if I sing along, which I am convinced it will help us in the future bonding. He still doesn't dare to step up onto my shoulder or head, mostly only hand when he wants a treat or during training sessions, but otherwise he is nearby me in the room, usually on a higher place like his open cage or on the wardrobe which is next to my working table. In the beginning it was very hard for me and my partner because Pascal being an aviary bird, he took great interest into our budgie, Csilli. I was super afraid he will bond to her from day one, so we had to keep them separated for most of the day. That way I can work more with Pascal and get him more accustomed to me. I just highly hope all my work doesn't go into water and he becomes more attached to my partner..! My budgie is strongly bonded to me and my partner, she just opened up in the last year and is flying deliberately to our shoulders from time to time, perhaps Pascal does it too one day.

I am doing my best to follow Pascal's pace, if he's not up for training, I do not force him. He is usually very food motivated, apple being his absolute favourite. Normally I use millet seeds as a training treat, but apple is reserved for stepping up and recall trainings, since they're high value treats.
I became more patient with him and try my best to read his mood. today I was mostly hand feeding him millet seed by seed, taking my sweet time while working, at one point I stopped and that is when he waddled down from the play stand onto the table, to my hand before nibbling it and stepping up onto the hand, and just looking up to me, "where is my millet". It was such a surprising thing, he never walked up on my hand by his will, never. These small things make my heart soar.

I am teaching him to get used to me being close too. I can give him a kiss on the beak most of the times without having him flinch, which is super. He's not keen on me touching his beak by hand, but he has no problem when taking treats from between my fingers. Now I know that he is not afraid, he just doesn't wish to be touched, and I must respect it. Time will come.

I am slowly being paranoid about his hormones, I am aware they can hit him as close as a few months from now, up to a year - I just do not know when. I know that I cannot be prepared for it. Currently he has never shown aggression, never bit because he was aggressive or territorial, at least not yet. I just cannot imagine him biting because he can, or attacking me or anyone. I guess I simply must enjoy the time now while I can, heh.

I am looking forward to the future with him, seeing how well he is doing and changing for the better.

OP
Skarila

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
So, Pascal took a bath today.

His cage is right next to the Orchid jungle we have (we have over 35 types of Orchids) and it seems that he enjoyed "watering" our plants, I mean, the water always goes everywhere except on him... Despite he has the biggest possible bowl you can buy :D
After he gets wet enough, he usually just hangs on the side of the cage to preen and dry. He doesn't go on a perch like a normal bird, oh no, he must hang on the side so that he can preen his little chicken drums easier. He's always eyeing the humidifier we have, he always tries to fly to it only to be disappointed that the mist is not for bathing only to get grumpy and get back to his water bowl to bath there xD

What a colourful sock muppet.

Now he's enjoying his pellets, at least he's quiet now, he had such a good screaming session today, I am sure every bird would get hungry after that. Yesterday he was such a sweetheart, today an absolute devil. Ah, bipolar kids on crack, how I love them.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Lovely start of Pascal's life narrative! You're off to to a wonderful start with superb attitude and intuition.

If you are interested, we have a specialty sub-forum titled "Incredible Journeys, Bird Stories for Bird Lovers." Ideal for continually updating lives and adventures of our beloved fids. Think it over, I can move entire thread to that location or keep in in Conures Forum. Absolutely your choice!

OP
Skarila

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Lovely start of Pascal's life narrative! You're off to to a wonderful start with superb attitude and intuition.

If you are interested, we have a specialty sub-forum titled "Incredible Journeys, Bird Stories for Bird Lovers." Ideal for continually updating lives and adventures of our beloved fids. Think it over, I can move entire thread to that location or keep in in Conures Forum. Absolutely your choice!

Ah Yes, You may move it there! I did start a journey log with him a month ago but I couldn't change the tittle to something more catchy so I somehow decided to start anew... Perhaps you'd be able to help me with that one too? I'd like to have a clean thread :D

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Ah Yes, You may move it there! I did start a journey log with him a month ago but I couldn't change the tittle to something more catchy so I somehow decided to start anew... Perhaps you'd be able to help me with that one too? I'd like to have a clean thread :D

I can move this thread to Incredible Journey's thread and you have some choices. Found your earlier thread: http://www.parrotforums.com/incredi...s-bird-lovers/89614-pascal-emma-s-conure.html

I can merge them which might flow well as there is no date overlap. Title can be changed at same time to whatever you wish. Or this thread can be moved and you'll have two. Your choices!

OP
Skarila

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
No Food, No Love

Sometimes I get a feeling that my little birdy will have interactions with me only if there's food. If he's full, and not interested in any kind of treats, all interaction stops there. This might be my depression speaking, but that is simply how I feel at the moment. One day He will perform tricks, step up on cue or even fly to me during his training sessions, but outside of training sessions there is no God that would make him step up for me. Not even with a treat that he likes. I am a bit lost in this one. Especially if I let him out with our budgie to hang out together, it gets so chaotic, he acts like a completely wild bird, as if he has seen human for the first time.

I like giving him treats often for tricks, good behaviour and such, but I do not know if I should keep doing it, I am just afraid that as soon I stop offering millet or any kind of food, that he will lose all interest in me. People say that we win their hearts through their little stomachs, but I am not sure with this one. Often he will act all cute, try giving me kisses to see if he can get a millet seed, often hanging out nearby me if I am in the room (If I am on the couch, he will sit on the cage door which is quite close, If I am by the table then he tries to sit on my grandfather's clock which is right above my head or on the wardrobe which is right next to the desk). He will never be right next to me, he seems too shy.

I feel like I tricked myself a bit, I really wanted to have a tame and cuddly bird, but I might've screwed up myself by getting a completely wild aviary bird. Pascal is super adorable, a very rare beautiful bird, a smart one, but I am not sure how I feel about it if the bird doesn't feel comfortable with humans, unless the human coaxes him with food all the time. It has been almost 2 months since I've gotten him, I'm aware it is a very
short time for a parrot. I mean, it took our budgie 4 years to bond to us, and 7 years to even fly to our shoulder by her will.

I just feel quite discouraged, I'm not used to such chaotic change of behaviour in parrot where in the same day they wish to interact with you, be so cute, and same evening go nuts and wild, fearing hands as if they see them for the first time.
Pascal is still extremely hand shy, he just hates being touched, he will immediately retreat or fly off if I touch even the tiniest feather on his face or forehead.
I wouldn't even mind if he would sit on my shoulder or next to me, but he just doesn't do that. I remember our found cockatiel, he was such a grumpy sweetheard, hated being touched, but he loved napping and preening on our shoulders, or on our desks while we work.

I am aware that every bird is different and that I must be prepared that he might stay like this. He is a very young bird, only 10 months old, and he might change once he gets mature. Or things could get worse, if I really wanna be so pessimistic. It's really hard now also with our budgie, Pascal will ignore the whole world just to be with our budgie, eventhough Csilli doesn't give a pluck about him, she even often nips him to go away. I need to keep separating them, bringing Csilli everyday to the other room to be there to let Pascal out, if I do not let him out, I will end up with a very nervous wreck that just WANTS to go out. I feel so helpless and down.

I took responsibility of this little birdy and I am aware I must go until the end. It kind of strikes me hard when I see so many people who bring home their birds and they simply bond within a week or two. I was strongly bonded with my IRN Zeleni and I miss him dearly. I am looking forward of having a similar bond with one of my birds, but I get a feeling that might never happen. I hope I didn't made a mistake.7

Sorry for the rant, I think this is just my depression speaking.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

You are always welcome to vent frustrations! Wish I knew more about Conure personalities to help you calibrate desires and frustrations with Pascal. He may have plateaued development of deep bond given origins as wild aviary bird. Perhaps not, two months in your home is relatively short. Have you observed any progress last few weeks, assuming he's settled in and acclimated?

It is possible he will always remain transactional, responding solely to food, though you may wish to "reset" the relationship if you believe it has stagnated. Perhaps start from the beginning with bonding and trust-building exercises: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

Are there other family members in your home preferred by Pascal?

Have you viewed a long-running thread discussing mental health issues and parrots? Please don't be off-put by the title as members with depression contribute: http://www.parrotforums.com/questions-answers/74949-mental-illness-owning-parrots.html

OP
Skarila

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
You are always welcome to vent frustrations! Wish I knew more about Conure personalities to help you calibrate desires and frustrations with Pascal. He may have plateaued development of deep bond given origins as wild aviary bird. Perhaps not, two months in your home is relatively short. Have you observed any progress last few weeks, assuming he's settled in and acclimated?

It is possible he will always remain transactional, responding solely to food, though you may wish to "reset" the relationship if you believe it has stagnated. Perhaps start from the beginning with bonding and trust-building exercises: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

Have you viewed a long-running thread discussing mental health issues and parrots? Please don't be off-put by the title as members with depression contribute: http://www.parrotforums.com/questions-answers/74949-mental-illness-owning-parrots.html

Thank you so much for your support, I mean it. I'm just noy really myself these last few days and I guess the bird really feels it, and responds that way too.
I also think that it could be Pascal's irrational fear of everything - he is so afraid to land on or walk on fabric, through training I try to encourage him to at least to get to the couch. If I put his small playstand on the couch, he will go to the playstand. In fact, today he was snoozing on that playstand while I was napping on the said couch. I see that he wants to be somehow close, yet keep some sort of distance too. If it is fear, he will overcome it one day, I believe.

He is doing some progress, I guess, just sometimes I get a feeling he regresses within a day, then the other day he is such a sunshine. I mean, he often climbs close to me and tries to give me kisses, cause he is a smart cookie, as he knows that means food. Eventhough he gets a treat 10% of the time he gives me a kiss, he still doesn't give up.

I am also better at reading his body language and vocalisations, he does have that certain squeak "tutyup" which means that he wants something or he is in discomfort. I realised it just recently what it means to him so I can use that as his cue of "stop that" or "I wanna go away now"

He doesn't preffer me or my partner, he is more comfortable with me though because I spend most of the time with him, but he will happily accept a treat or a kiss from my partner.

Also thank you for the link - mental health is really important and how pets or parrots can affect it. I lived almost in a zoo before, and losing all of my pets due to old age juat affected me so badly, I am slightly desperate to have my fuzzy/feathery buddy again. Since we will inherit a senegal one day, and we have a budgie, me and my partner strongly agreed on no cats or dogs. Also my weak heart just cannot stand on losing my 4 legged friend after just 15 years or so. Over and over..

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Parrots can be an object lesson in frustration. We are all dealing with essentially a wild animal, with a mind of its own. Patience is the word for the day. Accept what is, and try to move forward, with incremental progress. Moving to fast for the parrot is a very typical frustration for owners both new and old (as they expect the new parrot to act like the old).

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Thank you so much for your support, I mean it. I'm just noy really myself these last few days and I guess the bird really feels it, and responds that way too.
I also think that it could be Pascal's irrational fear of everything - he is so afraid to land on or walk on fabric, through training I try to encourage him to at least to get to the couch. If I put his small playstand on the couch, he will go to the playstand. In fact, today he was snoozing on that playstand while I was napping on the said couch. I see that he wants to be somehow close, yet keep some sort of distance too. If it is fear, he will overcome it one day, I believe.

He is doing some progress, I guess, just sometimes I get a feeling he regresses within a day, then the other day he is such a sunshine. I mean, he often climbs close to me and tries to give me kisses, cause he is a smart cookie, as he knows that means food. Eventhough he gets a treat 10% of the time he gives me a kiss, he still doesn't give up.

I am also better at reading his body language and vocalisations, he does have that certain squeak "tutyup" which means that he wants something or he is in discomfort. I realised it just recently what it means to him so I can use that as his cue of "stop that" or "I wanna go away now"

He doesn't preffer me or my partner, he is more comfortable with me though because I spend most of the time with him, but he will happily accept a treat or a kiss from my partner.

Also thank you for the link - mental health is really important and how pets or parrots can affect it. I lived almost in a zoo before, and losing all of my pets due to old age juat affected me so badly, I am slightly desperate to have my fuzzy/feathery buddy again. Since we will inherit a senegal one day, and we have a budgie, me and my partner strongly agreed on no cats or dogs. Also my weak heart just cannot stand on losing my 4 legged friend after just 15 years or so. Over and over..

You have remarkable insight and introspection, perhaps being a bit hard on yourself? As Al (wrench13) stated above, parrots are essentially wild creatures with potential for adaptation. Not knowing his "baggage" before coming to your home can be problematic.

Tough indeed losing 4-legged mammals. I'm on the precipice of the problem from opposite point of view. Making plans at age 62 for my parrots should I predecease them. None of my family wants them and finding a sanctuary for flock of 8 not easy!!

OP
Skarila

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Parrots can be an object lesson in frustration. We are all dealing with essentially a wild animal, with a mind of its own. Patience is the word for the day. Accept what is, and try to move forward, with incremental progress. Moving to fast for the parrot is a very typical frustration for owners both new and old (as they expect the new parrot to act like the old).

You're absolutely right there, Seems I am less patient with my own bird than my own boss, hah. And yeah, also seems that I am expecting the same strong bond what I had with my IRN or any of my other pets I had, which doesn't work.

I will asbolutely be more patient with him. Just as I have awful days, surely he has too.

OP
Skarila

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
One small perch makes a difference

And I kid you not. Pascal seems to be bit more of a clown these days, he is more daring to hang on his toys, hang upside down with one foot, absolute daredevil. I was planning to get another one or two rope perches for him for the higher part of the flight cage. Also recently I have seen that he is clinging on the upper front door in the evening all the time, so I figured getting a tiny rope perch and put it there, so instead of clinging to the door, he can sit on the small rope perch. Usually I am not a fan of those things, but as soon I see him start chewing I will wrap it up with vet tape or something.

And lord. That tiny little perch made such a huge difference for him. Now suddenly all his toys up are so interesting, he is super inquisitive once again. Very cute.

Also it seems I had some sort of anxiety attacks or something lately. My blood pressure and heartbeat has been over the roof today - soon I'll go get my blood checked and see what the frick is going on. I am not sure what triggered it, but lord it is such a bad feeling. But hey, Now that I got and installed those rope perches, it makes me feel a bit better seeing him so playful. For the first time he is actually chewing on the toy I personally made him, hooray haahah.

While I was buying the perches today and checking out some toys (I did not buy any toys because LORD they expensive.) I heard the familiar chirp and shout. To my disbelief, the shop had a GORGEOUS cinnamon dilute GCC. My heart broke into pieces when I have seen him there all so alone, with a single tiny toy inside. They've put such an awful price for him, it almost made me vomit. He was around 350 EUR, while generaly you can get from breeders a handraised and tame one for around 100-120 EUR. My heart breaks because I just know the bird will sit there for months... I try not to buy from shops that keeps animals, but I was quite in a hurry and had no time to go to a different shop. I really do not support selling animals in shops, it is absolutely cruel. It also baffles me that hamsters and fish have more accessories in their enclosures than birds. Can ANYONE tell me why the fiddlefrick is that?

Khm. Okay, I am chill. It is a calm evening, Pascal is nibbling on his pellets and enjoying the pepper seeds I clipped to the cage wall, while Csilli (the budgie) is making a mess and crawling all over the outside of Pascal's cage and chewing on the coconut fibre ropes that I used to tie some of his toys. Sigh. Birds will be birds! ... I love them so much.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Seems Pascal is showing playful interest, does that extend to deeper interactions with you?

Something to consider, parrots are keen observers of their environment. When you feel out of sorts, you can bet Pascal is aware. He's not likely to shun you but may be a bit more wary until realizing it is a normal part of his human's life.

So sad to see parrots languishing in shops. Only dedicated "bird stores" do a halfway credible job of nurturing these beautiful feathered beings.

OP
Skarila

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Seems Pascal is showing playful interest, does that extend to deeper interactions with you?

Something to consider, parrots are keen observers of their environment. When you feel out of sorts, you can bet Pascal is aware. He's not likely to shun you but may be a bit more wary until realizing it is a normal part of his human's life.

So sad to see parrots languishing in shops. Only dedicated "bird stores" do a halfway credible job of nurturing these beautiful feathered beings.

Yeah, often I forget that animals have very heightened senses and they sure can feel when something is wrong. Even Aina (my partner's senegal) who is such a sweetheart can sure feel when something is wrong with me, she either will not want to interact with me at all, or the opposite - will be extra sweet with me.

I'd wish that there would be a big petition to forbid holding at least birds in the pet shops. I have never seen puppies or cats in pet shops, but birds yeah, almost every shop. Hamsters and fish are usually in even more luxurious enclosures in the shops than when people bring them home. I was always tempted to bring them home, heck, there is an amazon? Oh you poor thing! I have no idea about amazons, but let me take you away from this awful place! I was tempted to do it once. If I was a rich person and would never have to work a day in my life I would surely have a bird sanctuary....

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

I share your contempt for poorly run animal shops and facilities. We have huge problems in the U.S. with backyard breeders, puppy mills, and endlessly re-homed parrots. Some states have strict laws, others not so much. Without getting political or metaphysical, my opinion is it stems from consideration of animals as "personal property." Many venues have animal welfare laws, some are weak and/or not fully enforced.

I'd love to have a parrot sanctuary! They do exist but generally moderately financed, not guaranteed for the long haul.

OP
Skarila

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Whistle, Pascal, whistle!

It's a bit calmer now. For the first time I see my feathery friend relaxing and taking a nap during a day after a good lunch of peppers, kiwi and pellets. And of course fiercely trying to murder his toy. He always fights one certain chewing toy, I guess he just really wants to be a big boy.

It's nice to see that Pascal is getting a long with my partner. My partner now offers him to step up for a millet, which is super nice. I am a bit jealous, I must admit! But no worries, Pascal is still working with me just as nicely, so for now there is no panic.

This morning I had heard Pascal for the first time whistling, or well, attempting to whistle. We whistle really a lot with our budgie Csilli, and she is also a whistling machine. So it was a bit interesting to hear. After lunch Pascal was incredibly cute, he was trying to whistle after me, which made me melt. He makes a very interesting motion where he puffs up his neck and moves his head upwards, similar to his "dragon dance", but not exactly. Also in the morning I come into the room (he greets my partner first as he uncovers him) and start singing stupid songs to him like "Paco Paco Pascal!" and other silly things, and he gets super excited and starts doing the march :D I love being silly with him, it's lovely to see that he DOES get excited when he sees me in the morning. Especially if I bring piece of apple with his probiotics.

He surely seems more calm today, but also in the flat it is a calmer atmosphere as well. To my surprise he was entertaining himself during my online meeting, he was either eating or playing with a laundry clip in the background. For pure wonder he did not shout.

Another good thing is that he seems a tiny bit more comfortable me transporting him from a point A to point B. He is very flighty, so it was quite impossible at first, but now I can easily put him from lower perch/door to the upper one and vice versa without him jumping of fluttering. He actually steps down now. I also managed to move him 2-3 meters away from his cage to my work desk on his playstand without him flying off. of course I kept his focus on a treat, but it worked! Also another improvement is that in the evening he is more entertaining himself and calmer and not so obsessed with being right next to the budgie. His focus is more on himself and his surounding rather than the budgie in the evening. Csilli is during day in another room so they do get minimal time together, mostly because Csilli is super nippy, and Pascal nipped and injured her foot twice already so I must be careful. Csilli's nips are very sharp and painful, but Pascal's are stronger, and while for me his nips and bites are not painful at all, I am afraid it might hurt the budgie far more. I must keep them under supervision at all times if they are together outside.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

So you've had Pascal for about 8 weeks, he seems to be settling in nicely. Honeymoon easily takes a month, perhaps longer depending on personality and home dynamics. Glad to see he's amenable to you and your partner vs a clear, distinctive preference. Don't be surprised if you see a bit of periodic regression, but the arc looks very promising!!

Pascal is likely mimicking Csilli's whistling, that presents another opportunity for you to bond closer. Definitely supervise when they are together as the disparate sizes can cause trouble!

OP
Skarila

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
I am a big boy now!!

My observation continues. I see that Pascal is slowly entering the hormonal state or is just practicing since he is just a little 10 month old juvenile. He is showing more cage aggressiveness (dragon dance, marching, LOUD beak crunching), and I try to stay away. He even bit me once which was kind of my fault, and I might've reacted really bad on that one. As he bit me, I immediately caught him - he did NOT like that. I had to clean his pin feathers anyway which were on his head, they were obviously very itchy to him. for 5 minutes I was cleaning gently his pin feathers, once I think that was enough for him, I let him go. I was feeling shocked, much as him, once it dawned up on me that I might've lost all the little trust he had in me. To my surprise he immediately went back to his old self, begging of millet and doing his little tricks. He didn't seem terrified of me, but for sure he does not like being touched at all. Just to think I got a conure so I can have a snuggle buddy (at least let me scratch your little puffy head!!!), but no, he is still toooooo scared.

However, he definately still doesn't trust me. He has a habit when he takes a nice bath, he will hang somewhere in the back of the cage preening until he is dry. This takes several hours, really. He is avoiding both me and my partner, he is surely not comfortable and he feels insecure as he cannot fly so well when he is a wet chicken. He is so interesting, instead of drying on a perch, no, he will hang on the wall somewhere because it seems it is easier for him to dry and preen his little feathery pants.

If I am the only person in the room Pascal will usually be somewhere near me, depends. If he's up for millet, he will openly go and beg from me. I know that when he is flying to me, he just wants that reward. he wants that apple or millet. Surely, he won't be near me if he is a wet chicken, as I mentioned before. Avoiding me like a plague. But, he has been here with us for exactly 8 weeks. That's nothing to parrots, seeing where he came from, he did make progress.

Another thing I found out what he loves is Nutriberries - at first he was so clumsy and had no idea what to do with it. Then I realised that his footwork is so bad that I had to hold for him the first time so he learns what is this delicious treat. After he made it bit smaller, I would give it to him then to play with. After a few days I could give him the whole Nutriberry and he learned how to eat/disassemble it himself. Even though he wastes a lot, he loves this type of foraging to get to the millet which is in the nutriberry mixture. So when I am going for a long time out, he gets one and when I get back home, he immediately gets another one. If I am home all day, he gets it when he is being a good calm chicken when he must be back in cage. This way closing him back is stress free. He doesn't like being in the cage, but These days it is a bit easier for him as he is interested in his toys.

Speaking of toys, I see he loves those type of mouthing plastic toys. I got him a small plastic toy which is just for mouthing and playing with, hard to destroy (at least for him, our senegal would destroy the toy in minutes) He LOVES the toy. Also he has lots of shreadables and chewables which he will jump from toy to toy. He is getting more agressive with his toys, but I guess that is just for playing. He has too let out his little frustration somehow!

Most Reactions

Latest posts