Advice please eclectus

Jessiejean1996

Dec 20, 2022
Parrots
Parrotlets, Eclectus baby.
Hey there, just after some advice, I have a now 8 week old ekky parrot Iā€™ve been raising since 5 weeks- Iā€™ve done most other species and am a wildlife Carer generally as well. Never done an ekky. Anyways when he came in he had a yeast infection - treated with nilstat, was kept in unclean living quarters, humidity extremely high and so on. Heā€™s now 8 weeks. Normal parrots Iā€™d already have sent up Iā€™m the weaning cage. But Mr ekky here no, I know ekkys are different from the norm and mature later, heā€™s brooders been at around 30-31 degrees, he started panting today so I thought time to drop temp- Iā€™ve tried last week but cropped slowed so put it back up. But I thoigh Iā€™d try again and Dropped to 29 in the brooder- ambient temp and apperently that was to low. It does have a safety shutoff so give it take a degrees. Anyway heā€™s almost fully feathers still some back down left. What temp should an ekky be on at his age? Heā€™s had a tough start to life. And 100% different than any other bird Iā€™ve done. Lol not sure if itā€™s an ekky thing or just this special guy. lol never had this issue. Heā€™s been trying to wean since 7 weeks.
And is eating solids pretty well and drinking, fruits and veg morning and night, and eclectus colour free pellets 24/7. Heā€™s been on 4 feedings a day, but wanted maybe 2, I make him have the 4 only because he did loose a bit when he came in due to the yeast infection so I wanted to get him back up to a decent weight before the drop to weaning, today he had 3 feeds. As he is 8 weeks tomorrow. This mornings weigh in was 380grams. Heā€™s on vetafarm neocare formula. I make it the same as the rest of the parrots. He was vet checked when he came in. - vets donā€™t know anything here. . :) itā€™s humid and pretty warm here atm. If you have any questions for me Iā€™m happy to answer :) Thankyou. Donā€™t mind the photo, harness training has started. And heā€™s potty trained already. Lol

Questions-

But what temp for brooder for eclectus?
When can he come out of it?
When do I allow him to wean ?

F39254DB-32B5-420B-A282-D6E9C6710D2F.jpg

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed! We have quite a few Ekkie parronts on the ParrotForums, I am sure some will be along presently to give you their thoughts. Where in the wild world are you located? We might be able to suggest a different Certified Avian Vet.

Great that you have started harness training, probably THE hardest thing to train most parrots on. Took me a whole year of every day training before my Salty would accept it calmly and not constantly bite at it. We still practice putting it on and off a few times a week.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so happy you joined us!
I have an Ekkie, but have never weaned one.

I'm going to link some threads for you that may help:

Weaning Pickles (Eclectus)

Baby Eclectus - Watch him grow!

(Unfortunately, the pictures aren't visible anymore in the one above but there is info scattered through the thread)

weaning help please

labell was an active member here for awhile, and she has raised ekkies for years. If you run a search in the Eclectus forum with weaning eclectus and put her name as who posted it, it would be well worth the time to read all of her posts.

Let's see if my search link works:

Search for labell's posts re:weaning

Here is a link to her profile page and you can also read all of her posts from there if you click "Messages".

@labell

Best of luck to you and your precious baby:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts