Advice, tips any help would be massively appreciated thankyou

Marlihull

Jun 19, 2021
Can anyone offer any advice regarding behaviour of my blue fronted amazon I've had near on a year now my first ever bird so no experience stupidly never did any background research. And even more stupidly I'm now terrified of "her" or so I was informed she was a girl when I bought her "lucy" not once have I got any further on then her taking food out of my hands, this has now stopped since she has started taking it rather aggressively. I was only told she didn't like females seconds after I passed over the money I paid for her. I've been told parrots take to one person is this correct? Considering I'm the only one in the house I didn't expect this to be still a problem a year on, she certainly adores male attention allowing them to put an arm out for her to then climb up on to their shoulder. Anytime I'm to go near the cage she nearly falls off the cage door in attempt to go for me.. I'm really bothered by this as I absolutely adore her, don't gey me wrong there are plenty of occasions when she has very much enjoyed the attention I've given her or so it seems especially when I leave the room and come back a while later. This video taken yesterday was how she reacts with me , apart from all the tail fanning I'm not lucky enough to get this kind of a welcome. Mine stops just before this stage. This reaction she showed to a male friend yesterday struck me as odd as I never seen her ever react this way before can anyone tell me what the best solution is going forward please
Kindest regards

Attachments

• VID-20230204-WA0009_001.mp4
    3.5 MB
  • VID-20230204-WA0009_001.mp4
    3.5 MB

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
To me, this is classic Amazon attack mode, and in a full grown, flighted adult, not something to be taken lightly. I am hoping our resident Amazon guru, Saliboats, chimes in here to confirm it.

What you do about it is much more complicated, I suggest you try to re-set the clock so to speak, meaning you treat her like you just met her and brought her into your home. All the precautions, observations and actions you would take put into place. Amazons are the 'come back kids' of the parrot world (to paraphrase 'Boats); THere is a good chance that doing this will start to alievate the behavior.

One thing that is going to help a lot is... bribery! Figure out her most favorite treat (if you don't already know it). That's going to be your training and reward tool, and should only be offered when there is a lesson or action that should be given positive reinforcement.

Good on you for seeking help and advice on your condition! Don't give up on her! Lurking within her is a parrot who is a sweet, smart and lovable Lucy1

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Agreed, in that first video she’s PISSED. Big tail, big head, wing flips, striking - is that blue thing with white stripes on the left hand side of the frame a towel? She’s not happy about whatever it is.

Sammy will give me a big tail and sometimes a poofy head when I walk into the room, but it’s because she’s excited. However, sometimes excitement results in a bite too.

Is this her reaction to your male friend? Or are you the one with the blue thing (shirtsleeve?)? Are you in the Northern or Southern hemisphere? For us folks in North America, it’s hormone season, but for our Aussie etc friends it isn’t.

Whoever she’s flipping at is not someone she likes. If this isn’t you, that’s a good thing. If she’s biting you when you give her treats, it may be that she’s excited. When you offer her treats, is her tail flared out like that? If it is, she’s real close to being over excited, and that’s when bites happen. Our yellow nape amazon gets too excited when I come in the room, so I wait patiently far enough away that she feels safe until I see her put her tail back down, folded shut. Only then do I slowly approach while talking to her, and I offer her a treat on a spoon if I’m not sure of her mood - as a reward for calming down.

I’d definitely check out the sticky at the top of this forum called “I Love Amazons” - it’s a long read, but as you are living with one of the “hot three” amazons it’s going to help you out a lot!!

Tl;dr - everything wrench said is absolutely correct! And I’m sure Sailboat will be along with some sage advice as well. Welcome to the forums, to you and Lucy!

Most Reactions

Latest posts