Advice?

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
My friend on facebook just posted this picture saying that she was down in the paddock and there were these 2 baby lorikeets under the tree, and she said they fell out of their nest.. and she did the hashtag of 'wildlife warrior' :54: haha

She doesn't own a bird, so she probably doesn't know what to do..

Are they old enough to have been out of the nest? I thought at that age with feathers they would have been fine and the parents would be close by ? :/ and she should have just left them?

What should i tell her?

It is night time here now as well!

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
Sorry Tabitha, I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell you for sure, they look old enough

BTW, it is 4:19 AM here on the east coast of USA (says you posted about 15 mins ago)
VERY Much night time here also (or early morning if you are a farmer LOL)

Nite Nite, time for some sleep :silly:

Joe

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Yeah from what i always see in similar posts, these babies look like they were old enough and would have been learning to fly? They have all their feathers..

Just wanted to check with all your experienced people to see what could be done!

I hope the poor things will be ok in the morning...

She posted that at 4pm, and it is 6:20pm now.. So well and truly dark, so i assume putting them back at their tree isn't even at option now..

Hmmm :/

Goodnight Joe!!! You are certainly up late! :p haha

I think it will be an early night for me.. Spent all day studying chemistry.. I say i hate it, but when you know how to do all the problems and get everything right, it makes you feel so smart ;) hahaha

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
I'm not familiar with the laws in Queensland, but in Victoria it's illegal for her to keep them, she MUST give them to a wildlife carer.
They are definitely old enough to be branching and learning to fly, she should have left them alone, but oh well, the past is in the past.
I don't think they'd be accepted if she put them back now, she should contact a local carer and see what they think.

Even if it's legal for her to care for them herself, I don't think it's a good idea. If she's never had birds before, she'll get a shock at how much work it entails, and she will not be able to properly raise them for release - they'll lose their fear of humans. I've had people bring birds in before that they thought they might 'try' to care for, and they always have hideous malnutrition problems from improper diets, and often need to be euthanised.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
As a general rule of thumb baby birds on the ground should never be moved. Almost always the parents are nearby. The exception is if they are in imminent danger.

BTW it's an old wives tale that the parents will reject them after a human holds them. If she can find the nest putting them back would be best. If she can't, finding a rehabilitator would be best.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I agree with thekarens. If your friend takes the lorikeets back, the parents should readily accept them. That is, if the parents are around and the chicks and parents call to each other.

If the parents can't be found (and your friend may very well need to wait a few hours!), then I would say it's up to the laws of where she lives as to what she can do.

RedRump

Apr 22, 2014
Honestly this happened to me.....
I chose to look after two baby lories at that age.
If shes gonna look after them she'll need a cage.
She will also need to feed them fruits such as apple and grape.
If possible you might wanna try wetmix for them.
Lories are tough birds to look after and you need lots of commitment to look after them.
By the way they poop like crazy...

LoriBabies

May 21, 2013
Australia
Parrots
2 x rainbow lorikeets. Pistachio is a normal coloured 1 1/2 yo birdie who's currently on a diet and Zazu is my grey/green or olive baby, about 4 moths old
Hi Tab, just wondering what ended up happening with these babies??

Most Reactions