Advices about bedtime routine

dera

Sep 13, 2022
Italy
Parrots
Wizard (quaker)
Hello! With my quaker Wizard I have a small bedtime routine where everything calms down, I take him (he's free with us), say "Good night" to my husband and "Let's go to bed" to Wizard. The problem is that he recognizes the routine and hates it :LOL: :ROFLMAO: and when we go to the cage he grabs the cage with the feet and doesn't want to go inside at any cost. I don't want use treads to cheat him because I'm afraid that we won't train anymore.
Do you guys have some advice? Or also some reasons because he doesn't like to go to bed?
Thank you all!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
He probably doesn't want to sleep because then it means it's the end of playtime. I would suggest giving him some treats when he goes in his cage to sleep so he has a positive association with going to bed. I don't think it'll get in the way with training as long as he doesn't get too many treats.

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
Tango a White Faced Pied Cockatiel
He probably doesn't want to sleep because then it means it's the end of playtime. I would suggest giving him some treats when he goes in his cage to sleep so he has a positive association with going to bed. I don't think it'll get in the way with training as long as he doesn't get too many treats.
I totally agree with everything you say.. Quakers have quite quite the personality. I also used millet to train my bird..

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Much like little kids, if they know the adults are staying up after they go to bed, they will not want to go to bed even though they might be falling dead asleep at the dinner table ! I suggest that you have a winding down period, turning a few lights off, getting the room darker 15 -30 minutes before its actual bed time. Then, when its time to put him back, turn off the rest of the lights and any TV or music that is on. DOn;t cheat and start watching TV after he is in his cage and covered, parrots understand very well what cheating is and they will take advantage of that the next time you try that shenanigan. Parrots absolutely LOVE routine, once you develop one that works try to stick with it. Salty is like a drill sergeant with routine, especially at night. If I am not home at 8:45 to start his nightly training session, he gets very upset and with parrots that can mean bitey. And he will be like "Well YOU obviously dont give a flying F about my routine, so I won't either" and he is difficult if not impossible to get him to go to bed. He sometimes winds up sleeping on his daytime play area.

OP
dera

dera

Sep 13, 2022
Italy
Parrots
Wizard (quaker)
Thank you for all your advices 🥰 @wrench13 you made me laugh with Salty's reaction to you being late :ROFLMAO:
I'll try to create a more quite environment before bedtime and give him a tread when he's a good boy ❤️

Most Reactions

Latest posts