African grey molting

Aidualc

Oct 15, 2016
Kent, UK
Parrots
Nemo- CAG, Sebastian- Sun Conure, Rio- Senegal, Pepper- Senegal
Nemo is currently around 1.5 years old and as pestering as ever. However I have noticed recently that he has started looking a bit ragged. So my question is.. when does the first big molt start? I have noticed that he does seem to drop feathers in a symmetric manner- which does indicate that it is molting, but I just want to rule out that there is picking involved which is obviously a big fear of mine. I am trying to encourage him to the whole shower endeavor, however the way he reacts might as well be me trying to set him on fire. It's a work in progress tho.

A second but not wholly unrelated.. is there such thing as too rough playing with african greys? I kinda got the impression that they were slightly more demure parrots, but this could not be further from the truth as far as I can tell. Nemo loves hanging upside down with one foot whilst I basically juggle him. I sense he likes it as when I start rough playing with him he turns into boomerang parrot and keeps coming back for more. Is this something I can safely continue doing or will this turn him into a hell machine later on in life? And I don't want it to be something that could be stressing him without me sensing it which could result in him plucking- which I still don't think it is, but just to be sure.. better preventing than treating,right?

What are peoples thoughts on this?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
We are not a grey family, but Salty LOVES his rough play. On his back, a-grabbin and a-bittin my hands, a towel, my shirt, his feet, while I tickle him and grab his beak. He turns into my little raptor. But like most Amazons, it can get out of control, and I watch his tail feathers - when they start to spread, I know enough to stop and let him cool down. THats what I suggest for you. When you sense your gray is bitting a bit harder, or starts playing a bit harder, give him a cool down, either on your shoulder or near perch or couch back. Let him calm down, and know that play time is not over, it's just a break. As long as you don't let him get out of control, I dont see why rough play will escalate. I actually look forward to those times with Salty, because his cool down usualy means "Give me a good head scratch, Daddy".

OP
A

Aidualc

Oct 15, 2016
Kent, UK
Parrots
Heh.. no agreed.. a cool down period is always needed.. otherwise they can get a bit nippy. But glad to hear that other people play rough :D!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Smokey,my TAG,even though she wasen't really a "touch me" sort of bird,loved the beaky wrestle thing..grab it with my fingers and give her a good shake or two,,,when she started to BITE,that was enough lol.

BB the cockatiel,I can rough house with him pretty well..he allows be to cup my hands over him and pick him up..scratch his belly..hold him upside down..( tiels usually wont let you do that!) We also beaky wrestle..I bop his beak with my forefinger and he goes nuts! He starts to yell/growl at me ( I think he thinks he's growling..its so funny to me lol) If I get him p.o. he'll try and nip/bite me...then we stop..he calms down and is back to his lovey self.

I really don't rough house with Amy...

Jim

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Nigel loves roughhousing. We beak wrestle and he lets me pick him up, tune him upside down, all kinds of stuff. BUT I must pay attention and know when it's time to back off so he can cool off. We have great fun tho.

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Timneh my TAG has recently started this same thing and I think shes having a great time. I seem to be getting beat up in the deal with her newly razor sharp talons. Timneh is alos 1.5 years old. She seems to be loosing feathers now but I can see new ones coming in also. Another member had gone to the vet and their CAG was goign through a slow molt which his vet said was teh best way to molt.

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
Perjo is tough to read about rough housing. She likes when I play "I'm gonna get your beak" but she doesn't always seem to be playing when she counters and tries to grab the incoming fingers. I don't do it for more than 45 secnds usually. I can't get her to hang upside off my hand yet either, she loves doing it on her own in the cage.

OP
A

Aidualc

Oct 15, 2016
Kent, UK
Parrots
Timneh my TAG has recently started this same thing and I think shes having a great time. I seem to be getting beat up in the deal with her newly razor sharp talons. Timneh is alos 1.5 years old. She seems to be loosing feathers now but I can see new ones coming in also. Another member had gone to the vet and their CAG was goign through a slow molt which his vet said was teh best way to molt.

I just gave Nemo a good check last night and there are quite a few new feathers coming through. So definitely a molt. But awesome to hear that Timneh is also 1.5 years old- we can lean on each others shoulder when they hit puberty :p. But I couldn't really find a lot on the internet about the first proper molt and when it happens and what it's supposed to look like (maybe my surfing skills are just a bit lacking). But out of curiosity.. what is a slow molt compared to a fast one? 1 month vs. 6 months? But I guess a slow molt is less stressing on the little body!?

But really great to hear that I'm (possibly) not breaking poor Nemo.. I shall continue to juggle him then ;)! Fun thing that they all seem to like hanging upside down.. crazy bat-parrots!

Most Reactions

Latest posts