African grey skin issue

Naddyl

Aug 5, 2022
Parrots
African grey
My African grey has unfortunately been plucking their feathers for awhile now due to dietary reasons which we’re trying to work through. Recently a dark circle has formed around what looks like a feather follicle and it looks infected (yellowish in colour). Thinking it might be a follicle my parrot has been trying to remove and maybe unsuccessfully so has started to become infected. (All conjecture of course). If anyone has any advice on this or experienced something similar please let me know. Have tried to clean the spot as best as I can however, will monitor if that helps and adjust tactics otherwise.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I am assuming that you are working with an Avian Medical Professional as a means of confirming that it was a diet driven problem. When plucking begins, your Avian Medical Professional should have taken a skin sample to verify the plucking was not a bacterial infection and a blood sample to check what is missing or over-provided as a means of adjusting the diet.

If an ingrown feather becomes infected, your Avian Vet may select to expose the feather and topically treat that infection.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Or they may need to give the bird systemic antibiotics. But if this has become such an evident problem you need to have it looked at before it becomes a bigger one, like a chewed open sore.

Be careful with your baby bird! It’s better to treat a small problem than a big one.

OP
N

Naddyl

Aug 5, 2022
Parrots
African grey
Thanks for the posts, will act accordingly on this.

Most Reactions

Latest posts