Hayden1987

Apr 23, 2013
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Parrots
Andy a Harlequin Macaw
a pair or maroon bellied conures,
a pair of mulga parrots
Screenshot_2013-08-16-02-58-53.jpg
There is this one... he had just fledged and within two weeks of training, he was on his 1st job... unfortunately he played the part of a tui :(

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I love Corvids!! They're such amazing and interesting birds. See, I even have a parrot named Raven lol.

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Just a heads up, the bird pictured in the "Diet" section is not a Pied Crow, it is an African White Necked Raven.

Much appreciated...thought I had included a note to that effect; I'll s/w the web folks re a caption, best, Frank

Hayden1987

Apr 23, 2013
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Parrots
Andy a Harlequin Macaw
a pair of mulga parrots
Well im back at it..
ive just got myself a new corvid chick..
he was fulled from a nest that was due to be poisoned and given to me :)
Hes a huge eater and a loud s.o.b

:)

Attachments

• 20141020_103720.jpg
    20141020_103720.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,544
Last edited:

cateyes221981

Nov 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
HEy I have a jay right now just a rescue I am helping with a human imprint

corvids are my fave though they make amazing pets, not as aggressive as mynahs i find lol

Problem is when they get human inprinted and get let outside they are fearless a cat or a dog or hawk any predator will just grab them in seconds.

Last edited:
OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
HEy I have a jay right now just a rescue I am helping with a human imprint

corvids are my fave though they make amazing pets, not as aggressive as mynahs i find lol

Problem is when they get human inprinted and get let outside they are fearless a cat or a dog or hawk any predator will just grab them in seconds.

Thanks...yes, all of the jays are very interesting; I've had a few N A Blue Jays over the years. As you say, imprinting hard to get around, I've always used such birds for display, education etc., very hard to release...enjoy, best, Frank

Hayden1987

Apr 23, 2013
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Parrots
Andy a Harlequin Macaw
a pair of mulga parrots
So... m Rook has grown at an amzing rate!
he fledged 3 weeks after recieving him and has become somewhat independant. He plays tag with my british bulldog and chases him around the house for fun.
I let charlie out to free fly on the 14 acres I live on for at least 3 hours a day. I give him a small feed in the morning to keep him hungry and close by and then a small feed around lunch and before I go to work he gets a massive feed of mince, ox heart, cooked kumara, broccoli, potato, peas, corn and dog biscuits as well as a sachet of cat food.. whatever he doesnt eat the resident european black birds which crazy enough are a pied mutation clean his bowl out before I wash it..

hes alot of work but also alot of fun!
if only he would stop harassing my landlords! :54:

Attachments

• 20141011_150709.jpg
    20141011_150709.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,369
  • 20141104_190655.jpg
    20141104_190655.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 667
OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
So... m Rook has grown at an amzing rate!
he fledged 3 weeks after recieving him and has become somewhat independant. He plays tag with my british bulldog and chases him around the house for fun.
I let charlie out to free fly on the 14 acres I live on for at least 3 hours a day. I give him a small feed in the morning to keep him hungry and close by and then a small feed around lunch and before I go to work he gets a massive feed of mince, ox heart, cooked kumara, broccoli, potato, peas, corn and dog biscuits as well as a sachet of cat food.. whatever he doesnt eat the resident european black birds which crazy enough are a pied mutation clean his bowl out before I wash it..

hes alot of work but also alot of fun!
if only he would stop harassing my landlords! :54:

Thanks/...lots of interesting crow/rook dog interactions, it seems! Glad you are enjoying...feral European blackbirds in your part of N Zealand are pied? Thanks fr that interesting tidbit, go figure....best, frank

Hayden1987

Apr 23, 2013
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Parrots
Andy a Harlequin Macaw
a pair of mulga parrots
Yes Frank, we have quite a few blackbirds with white tails or whit undersidws. I even seen pure whire. Normally its just one or two feathers but the number im seeing is definitely increasing

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Yes Frank, we have quite a few blackbirds with white tails or whit undersidws. I even seen pure whire. Normally its just one or two feathers but the number im seeing is definitely increasing

Very interesting, thank you! Best regards, Frank

P_Molinae

Feb 5, 2020
Emporia, KS, USA
Parrots
"Chubby" - Male(?) GCC
"Breep" - Female grey cockatiel
Has anyone successfully kept ravens/pied crows as pets alongside small parrots?

I've always been interested in corvids as pets, but seeing as they are carnivorous, I worry they would be best kept away from cockatiels and small conures.

I have a 15 year old cockatiel and a 10 year old GCC, I'm thinking the safest time for me to have a pet corvid would be in 20 years or so, when my parrots naturally pass on...

:gcc::grey:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Crows are very intelligent creatures, if not more than the Parrot family as they can create and use tools, but are not as talented in language. They have long shared Human homes and when young, easily adapted to being a Companion. That said, they are highly active birds and need to be kept very busy...

Crows are NOT a safe companion around other birds and most pets as they are meat eaters by nature and as a result are not easy to clean-up after either.

Most Reactions

Latest posts