Air Purifier questions

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
So I am still thinking about air purifiers mainly because I am in New York and the air quality is poor right now. I am kind of freaking out for my little sun conure.

Here are my questions, and please provide answers if you can.

1. I have heard Levoit is a good brand of air purifiers because I know they use a HEPA filter and don't have an ionizer. Does anyone use one.
2. How many air filters do I need? Her cage is in the family room, but she sleeps in a small upstairs bedroom.
3. How long do you keep the purifier running? How often do you need to replace filters?

I am trying to research this stuff and I still am not understanding this stuff

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
I have a Levoit in my bird room. I leave it running on the medium setting 24/7. I believe they say the filter is good for 6 months to a year. But with two medium sized birds that hasn't been my experience. I take the filter out once a month. Place it on the patio table and then blow it with my battery powered leaf blower until it is looking brand new. Once every six months I do buy a new filter. I love mine and notice a big enough of a difference that I just bought another one for my living room.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
I have a Levoit in my bird room. I leave it running on the medium setting 24/7. I believe they say the filter is good for 6 months to a year. But with two medium sized birds that hasn't been my experience. I take the filter out once a month. Place it on the patio table and then blow it with my battery powered leaf blower until it is looking brand new. Once every six months I do buy a new filter. I love mine and notice a big enough of a difference that I just bought another one for my living room.
What model me out do you have. That have all different kinds.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
What model me out do you have. That have all different kinds.

LEVOIT Air Purifier for Home Allergies Pets Hair in Bedroom, H13 True HEPA Filter, Covers Up to 1095 Sq.Foot, 24db Filtration System, Remove 99.97% Dust Smoke Mold Pollen, Core 300, White​

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
I have a HEPA filtered Air Purifier in my bird room. It's just the one and it works great :) I can't remember the brand, but it's lasted me almost 13-14 years and it's still going strong! My filter just needs to be vacuumed out. I keep mine on 24/7. It's slowly conking out on me, so I might be needing a new AP soon.

Kirstyr

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw
I use a silentnight one and it's great too. I have mine on 24/7 but hoover the filter every week.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230608_223107_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230608_223107_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 25

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I have a HEPA filtered Air Purifier in my bird room. It's just the one and it works great :) I can't remember the brand, but it's lasted me almost 13-14 years and it's still going strong! My filter just needs to be vacuumed out. I keep mine on 24/7. It's slowly conking out on me, so I might be needing a new AP soon.
I have Honeywell hepa filters in all my rooms. No ionizers. I vacuum the pre-filter every couple weeks and replace the HEPA filter three times a year.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Not for nothing You should get one in NY right now but I imagine it's impossible to find on the shelf now......I'd look on amazon and go for one with 4.5 stars plus.

Best I can suggest.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
We use Levoit everywhere but the bird room, in the bird room I upgraded to a Honeywell HPA-300. It’s a little more powerful and has double the CADR rating that the 300S Levoit filter has.

I have allergies and dogs and a cat, so keeping a filter in every room really helps even when there isn’t wildfire smoke (and in western Washington, it happens frequently!)

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
We use Levoit everywhere but the bird room, in the bird room I upgraded to a Honeywell HPA-300. It’s a little more powerful and has double the CADR rating that the 300S Levoit filter has.

I have allergies and dogs and a cat, so keeping a filter in every room really helps even when there isn’t wildfire smoke (and in western Washington, it happens frequently!)

Can I get one purifier and keep it where she spends the most time. Her day cage is in the living room but she spends 12 - hours sleeping in her sleep cage in a small bedroom. And when she is out she spends much time in that room.

I am too cheep to get two purifiers. Could I also move it from
Floor to floor. Are they heavy ?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Can I get one purifier and keep it where she spends the most time. Her day cage is in the living room but she spends 12 - hours sleeping in her sleep cage in a small bedroom. And when she is out she spends much time in that room.

They are not very heavy bit they are cumbersome and I can't imagine having to movie one a couple times a day. Save your money and get one for each room. Your air quality is worth it.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)

They’re very small and light. I would purchase one for her day area and then save up for a second for her sleeping area - they are good for you too!

Edited to add - the Levoit filters are small and fairly light, the Honeywell is a beast.
IMG_0849.jpeg

This is the Honeywell!

IMG_0495.jpeg

The little round thing on the trash can is a Levoit! Much smaller and more portable. However, the Honeywell is hands down the better filter by a long shot.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I have a Levoit. My filter gets dirty pretty fast with three dogs in the house. I run it whenever Ona is in her cage - which for her is really only a few hours a day. She tends to move around room to room with us so it doesn’t make sense to leave it on when she’s elsewhere. I do like how portable it is. We’ve taken it with us whenever we bring Ona somewhere else overnight.

keithmarion

Jan 17, 2024
Parrots
just looking
So I am still thinking about air purifiers mainly because I am in New York and the air quality is poor right now. I am kind of freaking out for my little sun conure.

Here are my questions, and please provide answers if you can.

1. I have heard Levoit is a good brand of air purifiers because I know they use a HEPA filter and don't have an ionizer. Does anyone use one.
2. How many air filters do I need? Her cage is in the family room, but she sleeps in a small upstairs bedroom.
3. How long do you keep the purifier running? How often do you need to replace filters?

I am trying to research this stuff and I still am not understanding this stuff
I am looking into installing a whole home air purifier. We have a few animals and dust. I hope getting one will help with hair/dander and dust.

We have a Bryant Heat pump that is fairly new. What do I need to look for when picking one out. Does it have to have a certain CFM? The air return box is roughly 16x25 so I will need to find one that size right?

Any thoughts?

Most Reactions

Latest posts