Alergic?

Astro

Sep 3, 2007
Phoenix
Parrots
1-Calico Macaw- Cosmo
I have a few cats in the house. Do you think birds can be allergic to them? I'm trying a humidifier in the house to see if it makes Cosmo stop scratching and picking at himself, but could the cats be a problem?

I will be on vacation for 2 weeks. Hope all is well when I get back :D

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
I've never heard of birds being allergic to cats. I tried to look it up some more on the internet and all I can find is Human allergies.
Does Cosmo get regular baths?
Did he gets baths when he was staying with your relatives.

Without regular baths for your fid his skin can become irritated and itchy.

Enjoy your 2 weeks vacation. :D

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
My birds are allergic to cats teeth and claws.
My cat is allergic to my foot up his bum.

Flyte

Jun 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw, Madison;
Yellow Naped Amazon, Rocky;
Timneh African Grey, Tyler
Thats amazing, Red.. my cats have that same allergy.
I would think it's probably something else in the environment or stress related since it's obviously been a very stressful time lately. But then again we just found out my dog is allergic to grass. :confused::confused::confused: Our regular vet said he has seen dogs allergic to cats.. so who knows.
There are tests available for dogs and cats to check allergies, just like the human tests. Then they make up a special injection for your animal's specific allergies which they get frequently at first and then only once a month forever.
Pretty incredible what they can do, pretty expensive too so we aren't going to be doing it unless it becomes absolutely necessary. I don't know if they do something similar for birds.. I sure hope that isn't the problem.

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
That's a new one - but maybe!?!?

I'm allergic to cats but can handle and pet a short-haired one in a house for a short period of time, but cannot handle the long-haired ones at all.

Maybe it's a 'shed' thing? Maybe something else?? But a quickie thing without a vet might be an air purifier rather than an air humidifier. Just a thought.

OP
Astro

Astro

Sep 3, 2007
Phoenix
Parrots
1-Calico Macaw- Cosmo
Thanks for the replys. I'm back from vacation, and Cosmo still has all his feathers :) So I thin kthe humidifier worked. I do give him a good spray down every other day. Should I do it every day?

Thanks

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Hamlet and Mac get in the shower with either Christy or I everyday ... do I think that it's necessary ... not really, MAYBE in the winter when the air is really dry ... but even then just the steam from your hot shower should help if they don't get wet ... just take your cues from Cosmo, if he wants to get wet let him, and if not ... that's ok too ...

There are days that Hamlet and Mac get in the shower and just sit on their perch and hang out and other days they are diving into the stream with feathers fluffed and wings out ... let them make the decision they really do seem to know what is best for themselves ...

:50:

OP
Astro

Astro

Sep 3, 2007
Phoenix
Parrots
1-Calico Macaw- Cosmo
He doesn't seem to like the shower much, but I need to get a decent shower perch for him. He loved taking a bath in the sink though.

Most Reactions

Latest posts