Alexandrine Baby abandoned by parrots

Payncarry

Apr 8, 2022
Parrots
Alexandrine, Rose Ringneck, African Gray
Hi!

I just have a baby Alexandrine parrot which parent refused to feed him. I have a baby formula. I just took it out of cage and its temperature is very cold. Can someone help me when to feed and how as I don't have any experience. Baby formula is Hagen tropican Hand Feed formula. His tummy look big but crop looks empty. Its look like born today sometime, When should I try to feed him.

Any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220409_063256.jpg
    20220409_063256.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
You need to get the baby warm before you can feed it. You will find a lot of helpful guidance in this thread:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This will be helpful. They do have to absorb yolksac first.
Proper warmth of chick and food critical.
Best of luck

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hi Payncarry, I'm very sorry for the circumstances that you find yourself in with this little one. In addition to the all the great info provided above, if it was me I would be seeking the support of my avian vet too. Understanding that there may not be one open right now, and not being certain of your location, the following resource may help you to find one if you are not already familiar with one ...

I wish you all the very best with your little one! 🙏

OP
P

Payncarry

Apr 8, 2022
Parrots
Alexandrine, Rose Ringneck, African Gray
Hi!

I just have a baby Alexandrine parrot which parent refused to feed him. I have a baby formula. I just took it out of cage and its temperature is very cold. Can someone help me when to feed and how as I don't have any experience. Baby formula is Hagen tropican Hand Feed formula. His tummy look big but crop looks empty. Its look like born today sometime, When should I try to feed him.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks everyone for your support. Here is the last week picture of baby Alexandrine names NUNU. He is 1.5 months now and still on Hagen baby formula.
How should I introduce Zupreem pallet and when. What other stuff I can introduced him.

He take nothing other than hand feeding.

Also I have Indian Rose Ring-necked female which is getting completley bald and recently loss her baby because she did not feed. Do you have any link for ringneck feather loss or should I create new post?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20220523_125722.jpg
    20220523_125722.jpg
    499.8 KB · Views: 63

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Thanks everyone for your support. Here is the last week picture of baby Alexandrine names NUNU. He is 1.5 months now and still on Hagen baby formula.
How should I introduce Zupreem pallet and when. What other stuff I can introduced him.

You can soften the pellets to encourage him to eat it.. you can also feed seed and veggies. Just make it easily available.

Your bird looks very lovely :)
Also I have Indian Rose Ring-necked female which is getting completley bald and recently loss her baby because she did not feed. Do you have any link for ringneck feather loss or should I create new post?
I think creating a post will bring more visibility. Reasons of feather loss include self-mutilation(if this is the cage it's likely another bird as the can't reach their head feathers), illness, stress, etc.

Most Reactions