Mickhunt

Dec 12, 2020
Media
Albums
UK
Parrots
Alexandrine
Hi all
My Alexandrine has just had a baby is it wise to remove the Male.
I have also been told to take any babies out when they are 4 weeks old.
I did this when my other female had 3 babies who are now 5 months old and chewing everything
Lol
Mickhunt

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
Hi Mick Hunt

No not at all. In fact Alexandrine Parakeet . Alexandrine parakeet is one among just three species of Parrots (excluding cockatoos) that takes part actively in both incubation and feeding of the young ones. So it would be a terrible mistake to remove the male.

cheers

Avin

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
Please check this wonderful video on the pair bond between Alexandrines. They are much different from Roseringed in many ways .

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNiDb4ej9Cg"]Throes of Passion - Mating Alexandrine Parakeets @ Nehru Zoological Park - Hyderabad - YouTube[/ame]

Avin
:yellow1::yellow1:

OP
Mickhunt

Mickhunt

Dec 12, 2020
Media
Albums
UK
Parrots
Alexandrine
Thanks for the advise what about the babies should I take them out after 4 weeks or longer
Mickhunt
Sheffield
UK

OP
Mickhunt

Mickhunt

Dec 12, 2020
Media
Albums
UK
Parrots
Alexandrine
New babies

Hi all I have bee told I need to take babies out of the nest at about 4weeks
Is this right.
And then I read that they are good parents.
Many thanks for any information

Mickhunt
Sheffield
Uk

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
I don't think you need to take the baies out. Let them fully take care til they are independent and fully feathered.

LynneB

Mar 11, 2021
Hi there Mickhunt. You don't mention how many babies you have. There are good reasons for removing some of the babies, and good reasons to leave them with the parents. If you want to gain some experience hand rearing chicks, Alexandrines are a good strong chick to begin with. Also, you can get more cash for them if advertised as hand reared and tame. What I do is, if Mum has say 4 chicks, I remove two of them and leave her with two. I remove the eldest ones a day or so after they open their eyes, that way they really bond to humans. This also give Mum the knowledge of how to raise them.

But be warned! If hand rearing, they eat heaps as chicks, and you have to be available to feed them initially 4 times a day, then 3 times. After this it's okay. Just morning and night. But it can interfere with your life if you have to work.

You sound excited, and as though you want to do whatever is best for your birds. This is great and I wish you all the very best whatever you decide to do.

No, do not remove the male unless he appears to be a danger to the babies and the hen. Unlikely but then again, just keep an eye out.

OP
Mickhunt

Mickhunt

Dec 12, 2020
Media
Albums
UK
Parrots
Alexandrine
Hi thanks for your advice Iā€™ve just been in and she has 5 babies now.
My other female had 3 these are nearly 4 months old now eating everything and chewing everything lol
We decided to keep these 3
I couldnā€™t find anything suitable to mark them with I donā€™t like the look of the leg rings I tried plastic ones but they soon chewed them off. Iā€™m still looking.
The father is also father to the other 3, Randy Rocky .
We had no problems rearing the 3 but left them till 4 week old before we took them out.
I would like to leave them for a while we are feeding the female food 3 times a day including egg food
We went through 15 tubs of baby food with the 3
There pictures are on my profile.
I hate giving them up and hope I donā€™t have any problems with getting potential owners
I wonā€™t let them go if their not a suitable owner.
I hope 5 isnā€™t to many for parents

Mickhunt
Sheffield

LynneB

Mar 11, 2021
Hi Mickhunt. No, the parents will manage just fine. Only thing is, it can get crowded in the box and hot as they grow, even when the weather is on the cool side. If it gets too crowded, parents can tread on the young ones. Leg rings can be a problem at times, especially plastic and split rings. If the parents are not wearing them, they often try to remove them from the chicks. I have in the past, as a temporary measure, painted the odd toenail with coloured nail polish. It wears off but it gives you an idea of oldest, second, third, etc. Just do a different toenail on a different foot, and take note.

Congratulations!

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
How are the parents and babies?

Most Reactions

Latest posts