Alexandrine panic flights

skyethealexandrine

May 16, 2021
Hi there, my 16 month old male alexandrine Skye has a bit of an issue. He has” panic flights”. He has never injured himself or others while doing this as he knows how to fly and land very well but i am worried about these flights as they seem to be triggered by fear. He could be peacefully shredding a block of wood on his cage, or eating, but then randomnly, lets out a very loud call and flies to the door and back to the cage several times. I can tell he is scared or panicked because he slicks his feathers back, and starts breathing very rapidly, even after his first flight. This has started very recently, and i can not figure out what triggers it. He is a very playful bird and loves to be around us, so i dont think it is down to lack of trust, or being uncomfortable with us being around. Furthermore, nothing in his environment has changed either, so what could be causing these attacks? He doesnt seem to be showing any signs of illness or pain either. Also, he will go absoloutely berserk when put in the cage, he has even started avoiding our hands for fear that he will be put in the cage again! He goes in, and immediately starts pacing, clinging to the bars, and screaming very loudly. We have tried leaving the room for 6 hours plus, but he carries on and on in order for him to come out again. The only thing that quietens himI is covering the cage, but i don’t want to be covering him during the day as i have read that it is bad for them and can stress them further and mess up their sleep cycle. .
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Soloist

Oct 12, 2020
Hi there, my 16 month old male alexandrine Skye has a bit of an issue. He has” panic flights”. He has never injured himself or others while doing this as he knows how to fly and land very well but i am worried about these flights as they seem to be triggered by fear. He could be peacefully shredding a block of wood on his cage, or eating, but then randomnly, lets out a very loud call and flies to the door and back to the cage several times. I can tell he is scared or panicked because he slicks his feathers back, and starts breathing very rapidly, even after his first flight. This has started very recently, and i can not figure out what triggers it. He is a very playful bird and loves to be around us, so i dont think it is down to lack of trust, or being uncomfortable with us being around. Furthermore, nothing in his environment has changed either, so what could be causing these attacks? He doesnt seem to be showing any signs of illness or pain either. Also, he will go absoloutely berserk when put in the cage, he has even started avoiding our hands for fear that he will be put in the cage again! He goes in, and immediately starts pacing, clinging to the bars, and screaming very loudly. We have tried leaving the room for 6 hours plus, but he carries on and on in order for him to come out again. The only thing that quietens himI is covering the cage, but i don’t want to be covering him during the day as i have read that it is bad for them and can stress them further and mess up their sleep cycle. .
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Soloist

Oct 12, 2020
Alexandrines, are curious parrots by nature, I find at least. However, they are also very smart and are alert when they sense something is off for them. This sudden "panic flight" can simply be, your bird dropping the chew block it had on it's foot and made a loud noise that scared him or as you said, possibly someone in the background did something that startled him, I think that will ease once he gets used to his surroundings. With regards to bringing him back to his cage and avoiding your hands, as I said, they are smart. I would suggest, that you possibly train him to back to his cage, like make a training out of it and give him treats when he does go back to his cage. That way, he will associate going back to his cage to getting a treat. As it stands now, he associate, your hand to going back to his cage. I would change it up and do other things when he steps up and just give him a treat so he won't associate your hand to mean going back to the cage. But training him to go back to his cage on his own would be ideal, that way he will do it on his own, like possibly have a spare bowl and put treats there and the sound of you putting treats there, he will go in the cage on his own. So when you put the treats in the bowl, call his name and say cage and he might associate cage to mean going home and getting treats. But as for the loud noises they make, sorry but they are parrots it's in their nature to make loud calls, that part you can't avoid, no matter how are you train them to be quiet.

Most Reactions

Latest posts