Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Like the title says. Salty was on my shoulder tonight in my basement. My son had just come in thru the sliding glass door, closed it, but didnt draw the vertical blinds. Salty took that split second to fly smack into the glass door. He knows what glass is, because it looked like he was luffing up his wings to slow down, but still, we heard the sharp CLICK of a beak colliding with glass. He is OK, and was chewing on some wood toy a few minutes later. But it could have been MUCH worse, as a lot of members here know.

The door could have been open. He could have not slowed down and really hurt himself. Moral: if your parrot is flighted, take extra, extra precautions.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Oh Al, thank goodness Salty is okay! My heart was in my throat reading this. This is such a great reminder for us all.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Oh no! I hope Salty gets better soon, back to being 100% Salty!
Indeed, smacking into the glass can be really, really bad. I have some first hand experience with that.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Syd did something similar the other day. He was happily sitting on my shoulder when a pigeon flew close to the glass doors across the room. He took flight and flew straight into them. The number of times I have reminded him about glass yet in that moment he forgot. He flew round and rested on top of a door and would not move for about half an hour. I was getting quite worried. Eventually he flew down to me and cuddled for a while and seemed fine. It was a black 30 minutes!
Did he go on the attack? It seemed odd that he flew in the direction of the bird outside. Normally he would have ducked down.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
This morning he is fine. The only thing that was off, is that he refused training last night, but he does that occasionally, and I never push the issue. I think the reason that he did not hurt himself more is that he started to 'luff' his wings, slowing him down some, right before he hit the glass. He was going at a pretty good pace too, a fright type flight, triggered by my sons examination of a new pirate frock I just received. Flapping cloth of unfamiliar color = frightened birdy.

'Boats - Luffing up, correct nautical expression? Ie loosening the tension on a sail allowing more wind to catch the pocket?

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
GEEEEEEEZ... My heart skipped a beat when I saw that thread title!
Thank God S-Bird is okay.
And thank you for making me feel better about my constant paranoia. Yep, if it COULD happen, then it MIGHT happen, and it has probably ALMOST happened, and... yep.
Thanks for reminding me that I'm not nuts!
XO

Most Reactions

Latest posts