All my birds are dead… but one

OP
I

izzieschickies

Oct 3, 2021
When I first took her to the vet we prepared to lose her in the night, he didn’t do much for her with future in mind just what he could do to put her at ease (pain meds, food, fluid)
He wasn’t even going to seal the wounds but one on her neck we only saw once she was being put back in her box to go home and he though it was bad enough to staple a dying bird 😭 poor baby

The vet wasn’t in office the next day so we had to scavenge to find her some pain meds that would be okay - we found some cat meloxicam and gave her the dose we found online and hoped for the best still expecting to lose her the second night

Giving her Non prescribed meds was risky and scary but I knew that night that pain was her body biggest enemy, she just looked so sore and could barely lift her neck :(
The next day the vet called to book an appointment for her after seeing the updates we left for him with the nurses
we showed up at the vet at the earliest appointment possible and shocked the poor man!
This time he took a swab of her smallest but worst looking wound because it had turned green 😭

He wasn’t sure if it was bruise or infection (hence the swab) and he gave her more meloxicam and antibiotics and fed her again with the crop needle. ( which we have been doing twice a day, I guess I can put crop feeding adult chickens on my list of skills now lol - it is not easy!)

She can still bite quite hard when she misses the corn!
She’s so happy outside sunbathing a destroying my garden beds (spoilt much) haha
And she’s been running!
She’s basically a house chicken at this point lol my family make her little snack and treats all day haha
Best part about chickens is that it’s pretty hard to give them a bad diet, pellets and veggie scraps and she’s happy as can be
She is the cutest little roomba lol and doubles as a lawn mower and fertiliser! Very versatile

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh I'm so happy for you and your Roomba, lol! It sounds like she's making a fantastic recovery and may it continue 🤞🤞🤞 Would love to see a photo if/when you're able :)

OP
I

izzieschickies

Oct 3, 2021
Oh I'm so happy for you and your Roomba, lol! It sounds like she's making a fantastic recovery and may it continue 🤞🤞🤞 Would love to see a photo if/when you're able :)
38B7201F-E1AA-44A2-909F-FFC58CAA1AFF.jpeg

This is my little veggie snatcher!
She might be spending her first night outside since the attack tonight as she seems to be happy out there!

@HeatherG i sure have! Never thought I’d be using a crop needle, let alone on a chicken!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
View attachment 45009

This is my little veggie snatcher!
She might be spending her first night outside since the attack tonight as she seems to be happy out there!

@HeatherG i sure have! Never thought I’d be using a crop needle, let alone on a chicken!
She is the prettiest little veggie snatcher I ever did see, thank you for the pic! :love:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Oh wow, she's gorgeous! We have a bunch of different breeds as well, but haven't had any babies from them. Only had one rooster and he was sent to a friend's farm because he almost killed some of our girls. Too bad, he's a beautiful Ameraucana, but he's living a good life there, and their other roosters keep him in line.

I'm so happy Hayley recovering well! Hope it continues and she thrives once again :)🙏

Haha, all ours were raised in a pen we made in our dining room, and absolutely, that's a lot of poop! 🤣

OP
I

izzieschickies

Oct 3, 2021
Oh wow, she's gorgeous! We have a bunch of different breeds as well, but haven't had any babies from them. Only had one rooster and he was sent to a friend's farm because he almost killed some of our girls. Too bad, he's a beautiful Ameraucana, but he's living a good life there, and their other roosters keep him in line.

I'm so happy Hayley recovering well! Hope it continues and she thrives once again :)🙏

Haha, all ours were raised in a pen we made in our dining room, and absolutely, that's a lot of poop! 🤣
We had to keep her dad longer than usual due to lockdowns (neighbors were calling the council on us anyways) we ended up having to lock him up at night In a blacked out shed so that he didn’t crow before 7 lol
But that’s how we got enough eggs for basically another flock, he was a very good rooster very polite but i eventually had to sell him to an auction he was very pretty so I doubt he became dinner, I sold his sons to the same place and I should’ve charged them more cos those boys were huge! And just as polite as they’re daddy :) able to keep 5 of them in the same coop with no fighting!

She has been absolutely destroying my garden bed I’ve had to put netting down but not even that will stop her, SHES DEFINITELY FEELING BETTER!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
A garden sounds like absolute paradise for a chicken!

I just pulled up my last plants last night and also found some ivy and geraniums that were going to get frozen. And I found THE LAST TOMATO which is ripening on my counter.

OP
I

izzieschickies

Oct 3, 2021
A garden sounds like absolute paradise for a chicken!

I just pulled up my last plants last night and also found some ivy and geraniums that were going to get frozen. And I found THE LAST TOMATO which is ripening on my counter.
Wow good job!
She absolutely destroyed my whole garden bed lol
Everything crushed, little turd!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Hurrah for your little Warrior Princess!! Looking forward to meeting her new flock mates too :)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
That’s it! She’s a full blown cheeky chook again and 100% staple free lol!

I’ve also arranged to get her some friends two little young white hens :D

As a treat here is a blurry little derp for you guys!!
Willow: what does the chicken say? Kiss kiss kiss.

That is a photo that captures the essential dorky lizard-ness of chickens.

Most Reactions