Why is my love bird always trying to bite my other love birds feet?

Flounder&flo

Oct 17, 2023
Parrots
2 love birds
Bit of a long one…. ive had my 1st love bird named flo since may this year and he’s always been so sweet and really taken to me as his person, then I got flounder 2 weeks after when she was ready as she was to young when flo was ready. Anyway they have always gotten on no issues even to the point flo didn’t even want to know me anymore he was all for flounder( I don’t know the sex I’m guessing flo is a male as he sometimes makes a clicking nose and scratches his beak and I’ve read it’s common in males) anyway the past couple of weeks flounder is constantly chasing flo and trying to bite his feet all the time they used to sleep cuddled up together but now they sleep apart, it’s gotten to the point if they are on my shoulder flounder will always try and fight flo I don’t know if it’s a jealousy thing I just don’t know what else to do my next step is to separate them and put them in different cages, but when they ain’t together or can’t even see each other they constantly call out for one another until the can see them but when together it’s like flounder is picking on flo all the time

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
Yuko [M] - Yellow headed Budgie. [Healthy, Tame.]
Snowii [F] - BV dilute opaline lovebird. [Healthy, hand-raised.]
Luna [F] - Indigo budgie. [RIP,.]
Bit of a long one…. ive had my 1st love bird named flo since may this year and he’s always been so sweet and really taken to me as his person, then I got flounder 2 weeks after when she was ready as she was to young when flo was ready. Anyway they have always gotten on no issues even to the point flo didn’t even want to know me anymore he was all for flounder( I don’t know the sex I’m guessing flo is a male as he sometimes makes a clicking nose and scratches his beak and I’ve read it’s common in males) anyway the past couple of weeks flounder is constantly chasing flo and trying to bite his feet all the time they used to sleep cuddled up together but now they sleep apart, it’s gotten to the point if they are on my shoulder flounder will always try and fight flo I don’t know if it’s a jealousy thing I just don’t know what else to do my next step is to separate them and put them in different cages, but when they ain’t together or can’t even see each other they constantly call out for one another until the can see them but when together it’s like flounder is picking on flo all the time
I think The best step to take here is to keep them separated as Lovebirds have quite strong beaks which are capable of Injuring. It may be jealousy, or may be Because Flounder is hormonal and territorial, or it could be something Flo has done to Flounder that he/she has disliked. Female lovebirds are often grumpy when they have nesting behavior, My Hand-raised female Lovebird, Snowii, whom I have a good bond with, is being rather pecky than usual As she is hormonal. She always ticks off my budgie, Yuko, whenever he's near her nesting area. But everything goes back to normal after this horrible season (which im pretty sure that all parronts find stressful) ends.
Does Flounder shred paper in straight-strips and attach them to her/his feathers, usually near the tail? this indicates nesting behaviour.

What breed are your lovies? Eye ring Lovebirds, also known as Fischer's Lovebirds tend to be more aggressive during mating season, Level of aggression kinda depends on the amount of trust the bird has for the other, or to you.

I hope this helps!

OP
F

Flounder&flo

Oct 17, 2023
Parrots
2 love birds
Thank you for the reply! I’ve put them in separate cages but still next to each other but they are constantly calling for each other and won’t stop until I put them together but then 5 minutes later flounder will start to go for flo again, they are both hand raised peach faced love birds, flounder bites paper but doesn’t strip it into strips only into little balls. They are both very trusting to me I would say as they try to bite my partner even if he’s near there cage or by them but they will always fly to me and sit on my shoulder sleep on me and will allow me to put my hand into the cage, I’m hoping it’s just flounder being all hormonal

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
Yuko [M] - Yellow headed Budgie. [Healthy, Tame.]
Snowii [F] - BV dilute opaline lovebird. [Healthy, hand-raised.]
Luna [F] - Indigo budgie. [RIP,.]
Thank you for the reply! I’ve put them in separate cages but still next to each other but they are constantly calling for each other and won’t stop until I put them together but then 5 minutes later flounder will start to go for flo again, they are both hand raised peach faced love birds, flounder bites paper but doesn’t strip it into strips only into little balls. They are both very trusting to me I would say as they try to bite my partner even if he’s near there cage or by them but they will always fly to me and sit on my shoulder sleep on me and will allow me to put my hand into the cage, I’m hoping it’s just flounder being all hormonal
yep! little flounder is hormonal, the reason he is shredding paper is to nest. there are many ways to turn a bird off, google and youtube is going to be of a lot help. I also handraised my Lovebird, she's really hormonal. Lets hope this ends!

Most Reactions

Latest posts