Allergies

Kmoore16

Oct 8, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
Hello everyone and thank you for accepting me into the group I am a new sun conure mom and my heart is so full of love and now anxiety. My sun conure has been sneezing and rubbing his beak on things he is also making a weird noise it sounds like his beak rubbing together but I'm afraid he might be having issues breathing. He is eating fine and acting fine but I'm scared to death any suggestions

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Hello everyone and thank you for accepting me into the group I am a new sun conure mom and my heart is so full of love and now anxiety. My sun conure has been sneezing and rubbing his beak on things he is also making a weird noise it sounds like his beak rubbing together but I'm afraid he might be having issues breathing. He is eating fine and acting fine but I'm scared to death any suggestions
Welcome on board, big hugs, we are happy to have you.

Love and anxiety, the two side of the coin, this is true to me too. Oh I wish I can just do my best and let it rest. But, love, makes me worried. And here's what I do.

First a few days.......
My Emerald's flu usually start from a sneeze as the first symptom. Our family agreed to be alert, observe her closely and no more morning shower, no strong wind. Meanwhile, we give her vitamin boost from fresh fruits, freshly cut orange, green herbs, a pot of fresh basil near her perch, a teaspoon of freshly chopped garlic daily in her plate. This usually stop her sneezing in a few days, never get past 3 pots of basil.

Day 4 to 5
In the past when basil wasn't available, if her symptoms progress, we watch out for runny nose, seen as wet cheek feather. Make an appointment with an avian vet.
Meanwhile, we give kaytee baby bird formula and keep her warm. We also mesh up a small red onions for her to smell to clear her stuffy nose. This makes her quiet stinky but all symptoms should stop in a day or two.

Day 6......
Beyond this, if the sneezing and runny nose increases or continues, I think it would be safer, to see avian vet for medicines such as antibiotics, pain killer, and somthing to help boost the digestion, than to wait.

Hope all this is an unnessary preparation, and that a sneeze is nothing more than a sneeze.

Best of luck

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hi Kmoore16, welcome to the Forums to you and your new baby! Don't forget to tell us baby's name btw, will you?

It's difficult to say exactly why your Sun may be sneezing. It may just be to clear out dust and an airborne irritant. He may have allergies caused by mites or something he's eating. Or, more seriously, it may be due to an infection of his respiratory system. Personally I think it's a good idea to have any new bird checked for wellness by an avian vet as soon after adoption as is practicable, in order to get a baseline on general health and to nip any potential nasties in the bud nice and early. Understanding that I am not certain of your exact location or what avian vets may be available to you, the following link should help you to find one if you are not already acquainted with one...

Hopefully whatever is making your Sun sneeze is minor and easily treatable, but I think you are right to be concerned and should seek professional help for him.

Wishing you both all the very best, and I hope you will keep us updated :)

OP
K

Kmoore16

Oct 8, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
Welcome on board, big hugs, we are happy to have you.

Love and anxiety, the two side of the coin, this is true to me too. Oh I wish I can just do my best and let it rest. But, love, makes me worried. And here's what I do.

First a few days.......
My Emerald's flu usually start from a sneeze as the first symptom. Our family agreed to be alert, observe her closely and no more morning shower, no strong wind. Meanwhile, we give her vitamin boost from fresh fruits, freshly cut orange, green herbs, a pot of fresh basil near her perch, a teaspoon of freshly chopped garlic daily in her plate. This usually stop her sneezing in a few days, never get past 3 pots of basil.

Day 4 to 5
In the past when basil wasn't available, if her symptoms progress, we watch out for runny nose, seen as wet cheek feather. Make an appointment with an avian vet.
Meanwhile, we give kaytee baby bird formula and keep her warm. We also mesh up a small red onions for her to smell to clear her stuffy nose. This makes her quiet stinky but all symptoms should stop in a day or two.

Day 6......
Beyond this, if the sneezing and runny nose increases or continues, I think it would be safer, to see avian vet for medicines such as antibiotics, pain killer, and somthing to help boost the digestion, than to wait.

Hope all this is an unnessary preparation, and that a sneeze is nothing more than a sneeze.

Best of luck
Thank you so much!!💗

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Commonly what you are defining are early signs of an infection of the Air Sacks or a sinus issue caused by the change in Seasons (highly dependent on where you live). Consider a visit to your Avian Medical Professional as things can go down hill quickly with Parrots.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Also use TOPS and senior lafabers senior nutriberries for all my birds. Routine is a thing! That's great you implemented structure and routine. Sounds like your parrots are going to be very well adjusted birds. Would love to see photos!

Most Reactions

Latest posts