Am I making too much noise when she's sleeping?

CAGLulu

Jun 8, 2011
Parrots
Congo African Grey (Lulu)
Hey all :)

I was just wondering if I was making too much noise when Lulu is sleeping? When it is sleeping time for Lulu, me and my dad is still awake, and we have the tv on and we are walking around, talking etc.. She has her own room with closed door, but she can still hear the sounds, not just as loud as we can.. We live in an apartment so the room is right next to us, the only thing that is keeping the sound a bit away from her are the wall and the door, but I'm sure that she can still hear us a bit. Is that okay, or will she not sleep?

darkling

Apr 13, 2011
Alabama
Parrots
RIP Pi - Sun Conure 02/06/11 - 09/10/11
This isn't sarcasm, though I know it could be taken as such.

From the sounds of things, you've given her as much privacy and quiet as possible given your living situation so what would you do if someone said; no, its not okay, she's not sleeping and this is unacceptable ... ?

Parrots are light sleepers because in the wild they are usually the prey of other animals. They have to be able to wake up and fly away in an instant. So, I'm wondering, what's prompting this question?

Is Lulu behaving as if she's not getting enough rest? Is she cranky or unhappy? What's making you worry?

OP
CAGLulu

CAGLulu

Jun 8, 2011
Parrots
She not behaving like she is not getting enough sleep, even though I've noticed that she's not whistling and saying funny noises like she did a couple weeks ago..
I know that I'm giving her all the privacy that I'm able to, but if she's not getting enough sleep, I'm sure me and my dad would figure something out :).

darkling

Apr 13, 2011
Alabama
Parrots
RIP Pi - Sun Conure 02/06/11 - 09/10/11
Do you talk to her a lot when she is awake? Pi doesn't make a lot of noise either but mine is a fairly quiet household. She's a lot more vocal when people come over, which I assume is do to the extra attention she's getting at that time.

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
I do have two cats -Riply & Nano bites-
four snakes- china, dip & stick, and Grand Chahee-
I know I dont own a bird, but Ive been around them for ages, I also grew up with a love bird named Cherry. and I know this is odd, but she never got covered up until well past dark, her cage was in the main living room in a vary busy household, at least, I was a vary busy kid.

She always went to bed at the same time every evening, regardless if we were there or not, there was no set times for us to interact with her, every evening was diffrent considering we were living a subsistence lifestyle, as I am alaskan native, and sometimes there was even gunshots at night, to keep the bears from breaking into the storage shed (warning shots). the only thing she would do was lift her head and blink one black eye at us like we were ruining her beauitysleep then tuck her head again and go back to sleep.

My grandfather would get up two, sometimes three times a night, check the fire and hush the dogs if they were making noise. it NEVER bothered the bird.

I know you live a diffrent life, and its the same every evening right?

I feel that it shouldent bother the bird unless something is way diffrent from normal.

Edit: Oh and in alaska, daylight lasts all night during some times of the summer, so when my grandfather got up in the night, she would click once or twice, but that was it, I dont think she even really woke up during those times.

Last edited:
OP
CAGLulu

CAGLulu

Jun 8, 2011
Parrots
@darkling: I talk to her all the time, but when there is much noise here, she will talk up a lot more.

@xreinx: That bird must have been a heavy sleeper ;). Yes it is the same here every night. Nothing changes :).

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
although nut is in her own bedroom :) we are below her, she sleeps covered and can hear sounds from us etc and in the morning sounds from the birds outside (as windows are open a little now due to heat)
if for what ever reason we disturb her through night, she will make snoring sounds lol

i think its like city living, for nut nothing more then traffic noises from outside her room, and we all eventually find comfort in silmilar sounds around bed time

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
thankyou suebee, yea, Thats what I believe too, If its the same every night, the usual noises-loud or not, even in the unusual like in Cherrys case, I think she knew what to expect and was unruffled by it.

I do really miss those days, it was simpler then. work in the morning, relax during lunch, talk to the bird. work threwout the afternoon, relax in the evening, play hide and seek with cherry as my aunts put the puzzle togather and my grandmother sewed and my grandfather restrung a net. Cherry wasent mine, but I feel good in saying she loved everyone enough to put up with that kind of noise from us. even all hours of the night.

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
It is far from quiet at nighttime in the jungles and forests where our fids come from. That should tell you all you need to know.

pittiepride

Apr 6, 2011
I have a question to go along with this topic. I recently got a hepa filter for my room where dolly lives (CAG), I leave it on 24hrs and at night put it up to the middle setting which is fairly noisy. I haven't noticed anything unusual and she seems to be in good spirits in the day. Does this type of 'white noise' distrub them you think?

The filter has sure helped with the dust the bird smell. Unfortunately the weather hasn't been great hear so we haven't had the central air on and there are no windows in the room, so we definitely need the air circulation.

kara

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
I know I dont own a bird right now, but I do have alittle experence with "white noise" and birds. Cherry, my aunts lovebird was a good little bird, she really adapted to the summer home, though one time my uncle changed the CB Radio because the old one was dieing.

Right away Cherry started making this strange scream, and it scared us all. We spoke to her and tried to calm her, checked her food, water, then when that didnt seem to help, we checked everything else, the stove, thinking it was clogged and the smoke was bothering her, the cooking stove, the outdoors, everything we could think of we found nothing.

A few hours later, every 25 minuets, she would scream and throw herself at one side of the cage, twords the window, everyone was upset, so we checked the direction she was looking in, then my uncle sat down by the radio and said he heard a vary faint "clicking" apparently that was Really annoying to Cherry, as soon as uncle turned it off and unplugged it, she settled down and didnt do the strange scream anymore...

I think she would tell you, or at least you would see something strange if it bothered her. it wont take much for you to figure out what is bothering her, just narrow down the new things you added to her life if that is the case.

OP
CAGLulu

CAGLulu

Jun 8, 2011
Parrots
Sorry I haven't answered until now :).

I thank you all for your good help! Now I can be sure that Lulu is sleeping when me and my dad is up, watching tv or something like that. I don't have to worry now, great! ;)

Again, I thank you all.

@nofearengineer: How could I be so stupid not to think about that? LOL. Thanks. That made me realize that she is sleeping... and how stupid I can be :p.

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
We have oure Amazon in the same room as the TV and is talking etc when Polly is sleeping and I dont think this is a problem

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
@nofearengineer: How could I be so stupid not to think about that? LOL. Thanks. That made me realize that she is sleeping... and how stupid I can be :p.

Not stupid at all. It just shows you're just making a great effort to give Lulu the best care you can give her. Sometimes we get blinders on.

OP
CAGLulu

CAGLulu

Jun 8, 2011
Parrots

Not stupid at all. It just shows you're just making a great effort to give Lulu the best care you can give her. Sometimes we get blinders on.

Thanks. We all wan't to keep our birds happy and healthy :).

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
angels cage is in the living room, she gets covered up at 8pm but the tv is still on and we all chatter, she's fine. she's doesn't make a sound. i actually think she settles better now she's in with us because she used to be in the next room but would cry sometimes. since we moved her in the living room she knows that we're right there with her. x

SnuggleBird

Jul 13, 2011
Western Mountains of the U.S.
Parrots
Conures, Lovebird, Meyer's, Senegal
With years of parrot keeping I can give my personal opinion from experiences I have had. Darkness and Quiet are very important. I would try to arrange it so that there is no tv or talking. I know, it will be difficult but these birds sleep very lightly so that they are ready for anything in the wild (unlike my husband who can sleep through a train going by with the window open!). I had to cover my birds who are in another room and move the tv to the other end of the house. I also hung a heavy thick blanket over the inside of the door to their room and put a little machine in there which creates "white noise" its a sound machine and it keeps them asleep. I use one also since we live right by a busy street. Hope this helps!!

Lack of proper sleep does strange things to humans and it will also do the same to birds affecting their normal, happy pattern of interaction.

Most Reactions

Latest posts