Amadeus, goodbye my sweet ruby.

cardinalMom

Feb 22, 2020
Hello everyone,

I want to thank you for the advice you have shared with me as my family and I went out the journey with a our sweet cardinal Amadeus.

Some of you may remember that we first met Amadeus living at a pet store in Germany in November of 2019. He seemed fairly content but it didn't feel right to me to keep him living there with various tropical birds when we could provide him a nice aviary outdoors.

I have been living in Germany for almost eight years but I grew up in Wisconsin. Cardinals are amongst my favourite birds and I don't believe it was a mere coincidence that]at we met Amadeus just two days after my aunt passed away.

My husband, daughter and I had the beautiful opportunity to love and care for Amadeus for almost two years. He enjoyed living outdoors in a large aviary on our balcony. He feasted on garden worms and creatures brought to him daily, he felt the sunshine on his feathers and experienced snow in the winter. He also sang to other birds and enjoyed a wide variety of fruits and vegetables in season.

My favourite thing, as strange as this sounds, is how Amadeus would guard his food and was not shy about eating wasps in the summer time.

He came down with conjunctvitis in November abd this community was very helpful in helping us diagnose it. Thank you so much.

His swift illness and death was very unexpected. Last week we began to notice that he wasn't moving as much and we thought it might be because of hot temperatures outside. He did take a bath but his characteristic cheeping, hopping and 'batman dives' were gone. On Tuesday I noticed he wanted to sleep all the time and although he was eating he seemed to have no energy so after work my husband took him to the avian vet.

They did testing and determined that Amadeus did not have a parasite but told us if he did not show signs of improvement by the end of the week he needed to come back for an x-ray--he was too weak at that appointment. The vet was very concerned because his weight and muscle structure was clearly too low.

We began to administer the medicine immediately and on wednesday morning he was showing small signs of improvement. Wednesday afternoon my husband called me at work and told me the bad news: Amadeus died when my husband was trying to feed him his final worm---he slowly fell over.

We loved our ruby so much and were not ready to say goodbye. His empty aviary is still outside and it breaks my heart to see that there is no longer a little red pool ball sitting there.

The truth is we never knew how old or what kind of conditions Amadeus was born in. Over the last few months his feathers began to turn dark and some of them were even tinged in white. It could be he was already old. We would love to have kept him in the family for years to come but it was just his time :(

Some of you might remember that we tried to pair him with a female but was spooked and flew away---perhaps Amadeus was past his pairing prime.
Thank you so much Parrot community for your advice and kindness over the last two years.

c1VNVNR

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I am so sorry to read this sad news, cardinalMom. Amadeus was indeed a very special little bird who captured many hearts here at Parrot Forums, as did you with your loving devotion to him. He certainly would have known how much you loved and adored him. Sending warm feathered hugs your way, and my very deepest condolences to you on his loss.

Godspeed to the Rainbow Bridge, sweet Amadeus, until we meet again.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I fondly recall your heartfelt efforts to give Amadeus a wonderful life, and you absolutely succeeded, not knowing his age and background. So very sorry to know he passed, my deepest condolences for the loss of your beloved Amadeus.

OP
cardinalMom

cardinalMom

Feb 22, 2020
Thank you so much everyone.

I would like to post a few pictures of Amadeus, what is the best website to use to host here?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I am so sorry- I do remember this story and I think you did an excellent job doing everything you could. I am so sorry for your loss. Your bird was lucky to have a parent like you and again, I am so very sorry. They are family and losing a family member is the worst.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh we would love to see some pics :)

You should be able to post a thumbnail pic along with your post. Click the "go advanced" button underneath the text box, then click the paper clip icon. You will then get the "choose file" button, so then click the "upload" button on the right, close out of that box and post. The picture should show as a thumbnail under your text. Don't worry if it comes through upside down or sideways, a friendly neighbourhood Mod can always fix that up for you.

Honestly though, many of us load photos either via Facebook or a free account on Imgur and link them from there. I use Imgur these days since my Facebook page has the privacy settings set so high that the pictures disappear after a month or so. You can post on Imgur and have the images "hidden" from their community if you wish, then right click on the image and "copy image address", then paste it here using the "insert image" box (the one that looks like a landscape painting above). Best thing about Imgur is there's no limit on how many pics you can upload there, they always come through the right way up, and it's free :) Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts