Amazon101

Micah

Jan 27, 2022
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon
I have 2 Blue Front Amazon Birds that are 7 and 8 y/o. I bought them together because they are a couple and have successfully produced babies. I have no idea what I am doing and looking for advice to prepare her for nesting and laying. What do I need?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Very dangerous path you have in front of you. Most people start with much smaller Parrots and as they improve they knowledge and purchase the vast amount of equipment needed, they move to larger species. Amazons are by no means easy and rarely are successful at the ages of your Amazons.

Do not let them mate as you are by no means ready.

Find a trust-worthy Breeder and work for free for several years learning how too.

OP
M

Micah

Jan 27, 2022
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon
Ok maybe I should start over. I am not a new bird owner, just haven’t ever had a couple. I know that birds aren’t exactly like other animals, but I have a farm and breed all types of animals. I was really looking for some support and guidance. I’m here , I have them and I’m going to keep them and breed them. Thank you. I have had them with me for 5 months and seem to be fine.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
You have hit on one of the two hottest topics.
Wing clipping.
Breeding.

people tend to be polarized on the topic.

I have raised two clutches of Cockatiels and have two green cheek amazons. That I hope will breed eventually.
I have yet to find a place/person that can sell me a nest box .
they are still young yet..

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
You can do as you like as at the end of the day they are yours.
Parrots are different from manuals and what works with one doesn't with others.

Once Breeders were common on this Forum, but they have stopped Posting to mitigate having to spend extensive time with Starters as their time needed to be placed with their Parrots.

The reality is, you are undertake an activity that has very special skill-sets and require very special equipment and the knowledge to use them correctly. Plus a working relationship with an Avian Medical Professional.

Enjoy!!

FYI: Nest box are commonly a DYI project as box size and parrot size define each other.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. Don't take the comments as a judgement on breeding, the members are just trying to alert you to the complexity of sucessfully breeding large parrots. Once you start doing your research ( and I would hope a LOT of that), you'll find that breeding parrots is not like breeding chickens or other avians and certainly not like breeding other farm animals. It;s a hot button on this board for a number of reasons - we see many folks getting into it and not doing their homework and when complications arise ( as they are wont to do for first timers), it's the parrots, both chicks and adults, that suffer. Also folks feel that there are a surfeit of adoptable parrots in sanctuaries and the like, why bring more parrots into the world.

However, push thru these feelings and there is a LOT of great information and people on this board, and most times you will get really good advice about problems that occur. I hope you stick around for your sake and that of your potential chicks!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Maybe I was a bit hardhearted. So, a bit more depth.

It would be very unusual for a Breeder to sell young Amazon pairs as they likely have a large amount of time and money into them. Most Amazons gain the title of Proven Pair when they are in their late teens early twenties. It is not uncommon for Proven Pairs to sell for $10,000 USD and more.

Proof of Proven Pairs have become easier in the last five plus years as in North America it has been that long since Government has require that each baby Amazon is provided with a Hatch Certificate. A Breeder can show the results of the number of chicks that this pair have successfully hatched and proven by providing copies of that pairs Hatch Certificates. The Hatch Certificate is a traveling document and it to remain with the Amazon for life.

Amazons tend to be very choosy regarding their surroundings prior to breeding assuring that the surroundings provide the needed shelter and food to support themselves and their chicks. The breeding box needs to be of a specific size, not to small and not to large. Commonly, they prefer a box on the smaller side as they commonly choose howled-out standing trees. It would not be uncommon for the Pair to reject several boxes until they find the size them like. The seller would have known what size box they preferred.

Understand that it is not unusable for them to reject the chick for any number of reasons and that is is not uncommon for the Breeder to take over care of the Chicks around-the-clock, which includes keeping them warm and feed.

Most Reactions

Latest posts