An empty cage is a unhappy cage

Tman

Jan 3, 2021
Las Vegas Nv.
Parrots
Galah. Axel
Rescued budgie Anna RIP
Here is a question for everyone.
Do you have an empty cage around the house. Iam not talking about a travel cage. One that if you were to see parrot that was calling to you, you would be all set.
I have two that are sitting in my apartment just waiting for the right parrot to come along. I am going to stay with small to medium parrots. Even small parrots can be loud. I am thinking of getting a couple of cockatiels. And maybe a budgie buddy for Anna. I am in no rush. I still want to get toys and perches all the equipment that I will need to take care of them. I like to have two extra stainless steel food and water bowls for each cage so I can switch them up to clean them. It's 1:53am and I am starting to ramble, I'll leave it at that.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Kudos for getting prepared to welcome more birds to your home. Life has an interesting way of presenting opportunities, and you'll be ready. I currently have a few unused cages but am not actively looking to increase my flock beyond eight. But if a critical opportunity arose to save a bird from a terrible situation, I'd be ready.

A word of caution regarding Anna: She may or may not accept a cage mate companion, and it might alter her relationship with you. Big caveat: I'm not familiar with budgies, just sharing a truism with other species!

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
A word of caution regarding Anna: She may or may not accept a cage mate companion, and it might alter her relationship with you. Big caveat: I'm not familiar with budgies, just sharing a truism with other species!

This is certainly true-- however-- budgies, perhaps more so than some other companion birds, really really want to live in flocks or at least not as singletons. Even though, its true they could bond to each other leaving you as the sortof "less popular" member of their flock -- and it's also true, they Might not get along and Might need separate cages, even then they will most likely be happier living nearby and in-sight of each other. But with Budgies the most Likely chance is that they will get along and be happier with each other, if you have more than one.

Think about a standard petstore. All the other birds - except maybe finches -- but even canaries which are pretty small - they all get individual cages. Not the budgies! There will be a whole flock of budgies together, in what might be a relatively small space, and they are clearly happy like that.

IF you go into a store and see an ONLY-Budgie in a cage, he will always look so unhappy and lonely.

SO. IF you are thinking of getting - or better yet, rescuing! - another or otherS of Budgies, i definitely recommend you go for it.

This message has been endorsed by my Green Boss-Budgie, Jefferson, who continues to suggest I should bring some more budgies home to him... so far I have resisted successfully... but some days, I feel my resolve weakening..

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
No extra cages here. HRH sees no reason to share his Kingdom.

Rescuing is clearly a better choice, especially as we begin to see the effects of Vaccinations in late Spring and owners returning to work, and fewer no longer working from home.

Most Reactions