so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I’m glad the surgery is over and she’s ok.

This tells me more and more that one should look for physical problems with a plucking bird.

If she will allow it, pick her up and give her lots of smooches.
Angel is not. a plucker (though that doesn’t invalidate your statment).
For reasons known only to Angel she kept getting spooked and would flap around in the cage and damage her wing feathers. This can/would happen at any time day/night.
we were constantly patching up blood feathers damage.
At what Exact point this mass showed up I’m not sure.
Most of the time it is my son that does the patching up (my hands shake to much for delicate movements).

I should add I have 5 Cockatiels and one other bird (Popeye) goes berserk once and a while to. Both birds are offspring from the same clutch of eggs, only Mango was spaired the (panic gean)

Angel is still fighting with her “cone of shame” and we will have to give her the meds soon.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
No food for tonight, doctors orders.
Anesthesia can cause nausea in birds just like humans (but I bet you know that)
in advance of surgery we were giving millet to her every day instead of twice a week.
Actually we wouldn't fast little birds a few hours after recovery we offered food. Birds gi lot different than animals. But different anesthetic have different cautions.

I add to above well wishes . Hopefully you will post an excellent update on Angel.

Want your sweet baby feeling better.

I'm a complete mess when my babies have health issues. And I get a lot of sympathy stress reading about our members sick buddies.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Angel is not. a plucker (though that doesn’t invalidate your statment).
For reasons known only to Angel she kept getting spooked and would flap around in the cage and damage her wing feathers. This can/would happen at any time day/night.
we were constantly patching up blood feathers damage.
At what Exact point this mass showed up I’m not sure.
Most of the time it is my son that does the patching up (my hands shake to much for delicate movements).

I should add I have 5 Cockatiels and one other bird (Popeye) goes berserk once and a while to. Both birds are offspring from the same clutch of eggs, only Mango was spaired the (panic gean)

Angel is still fighting with her “cone of shame” and we will have to give her the meds soon.
Sorry. I recall you saying she was damaging her wing feathers and thought that meant plucking.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Angel is doing better today.

Yesterday afternoon she was either sleeping or fighting with her cone of shame.

Gave her the two medications, 1 for pain and 2nd antibiotic around 10 am. She took the meds easer than any bird I have ever done it on.
She took the syringe like she wanted it.
Maybe she remembers back when we fed her as a baby ??

Anyway she has been chirping some, something she didn't do yesterday.
The Dr said they used a tube down her throat that may have made it soar.
Speaking from experience it left my throat feeling like a truck ran over it.
Her voice sounded a little scratchy at first but is in fine tune now.

She has been eating. My son is keeping a near constant eye on her.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh that's very encouraging news Wes! That's great that Angel is taking to the syringe easily, it just makes the job of medicating SO much less of a headache. My Fang has to have meds daily for his heart arrhythmia and I thought he'd hate me for it, but after initial protest he's like "oh yeah, I remember now, this stuff tastes pretty good!"

Thanks for the update Wes, and go well, Angel!

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Since you mentioned it…it sounds like “night frights”…sometimes birds get spooked at night and try to fly inside the cage. Imagine you are sleeping in a tree with your roost-mates, and a snake crawls up the branch to eat one of you. You might just feel the vibration of something shaking the branch slightly, and even in the dark it’s better to fly away than to be eaten. This behavior is very deeply engrained in a bird‘s brain.

One of our birds used to get night frights, and something that helped a lot was to keep a night light in the room. Just a regular night light, the kind that plugs right into the outlet, very dim. It’s enough for them to see that there is no danger. Once we had a small earthquake, and that set him off.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
There’s a bright light at night for all the Tiels.
But like morning sickness (that can hit anytime) it seems this sort of night fright happens day or night.
The cages are covered ~75% at night to limit the chance of draft but still allow light.

About the only thing I can think of that I can do but have not is background noise. I could run an air filter on low to screen out noises from the outside.

whatever it is that is going on it’s still happening even though Angel is in a separate bedroom and isolated.
The other Tiels are still flapping around for no reason.
Angel is the bird that is most injured by this behavior.
Popeye Ange’s brother occasionally injures a feather but it is much much less frequently.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Depending on the antibiotic and how it is administer it can be compounded (made-up) with a wide number of flavors depending on the ability of the Pharmacy. It is very common with dogs as it makes it much easier to provide. It can work with Parrots if you know what flavor you Parrot may like! Commonly, a Fruit they like.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Depending on the antibiotic and how it is administer it can be compounded (made-up) with a wide number of flavors depending on the ability of the Pharmacy. It is very common with dogs as it makes it much easier to provide. It can work with Parrots if you know what flavor you Parrot may like! Commonly, a Fruit they like.
Ah so that's why... They gave some antibiotics to my sick bird recently and she gulped it down without a problem. It helps when it's tastes nice

Most Reactions

Latest posts