Another Bird Bread Recipie - Picky eatters love this one (or mine do anyways)

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
Okay, by default I discovered that my lovebirds now like broccoli and bananas. I know allot of the fids out there like those things, but mine, until today, did not. But, while making myself some yummy soup (loads of yummy) I had the lovebirds beside me "helping" (aka snacking on my lunch hehe). They LOVED broccoli and then I thought Id offer some bananas, and well YUMM!

This got me thinking and the following is what i came up with (I warn you, the measurements are -not- exact lol):

1 big clump of cauliflower (like one of the chunks off the whole thing)
1 big clump of broccoli (about the same amount as the cauliflower)
1/3 cup of seeds (they like seeds, and they were handy)
1/2 a banana smooshed up
1/2 cup or so of pineapple (I wizzed this so it was sort of like the banana)
1 big drizzle of honey (I made three passes and counted to about 4 for each one)
2 big spoons of peanut butter (I have smooth at the moment)
1 egg (plus the shell all smashed up)
1/2 cup of water (I used hot to get the honey un-stuck from the little chopper/whizzer thing)
then enough pancake / waffle mix to make it like cake batter

I mixed all that together in a bowl, then dumped it into a bread pan that i had smooshed veg oil around it. I put baked it at 400 for about 30 minutes, then dropped the temp to 350 and baked it for another 20 minutes. I let it cool then cut it up into little bits (ok, I partly used my fingers lol) and gave the lovies some - afterall, they helped make it!.

I thought Pix's eyes were going to pop out of his head .. he LOVED it and with him loving it, Serenity tried it and they have had their heads in the dish since lol. I gave Bonnie some too and same thing. These birds would not even try these things, but this, they love!

I now have three happy satiated birdy bellies and a big tub of something they LOVE. Yeah for me! :D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I'll be giving that one a try, Kito will love it, but then he eats anything, I'll let ya know what they think of it.

Genlisae

Jul 7, 2007
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Pepper (Lovebird)
Have just printed this out after having a rice cracker stolen off my plate and then bits of it eaten off my shoulder. I don't care how I get the good food into Pepper just as long as I do!

Will let you know how he liked it.

Last edited:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old