Another Bird With My Lovebird

Harpytacines

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but not new to owning Lovebirds, especially. I know they are definitely feisty. I have a new Lovebird, after a 20-year non-ownership, that will be either named Wing Chun, if female, or (chIP-Man, or Irp Man - undecided yet, if DNA proves male).

I'm looking for another bird specie (other than a Lovebird) that will be in a different cage (both will be handfed, as well). The only time they will be together is when I free flight them in my enclosed balcony which is 14 Ft. L, 6 Ft. W, and 10F H). They may or may not get along, or tolerate one another at best, as I'll have daily, separate interaction with them alone. However, when in the converted balcony aviary, they will have sort of access to one another. I guess my concern is that I need a bird that is fast or tough enough to stand up to a Lovebird and flee without being badly injured. If I get another Lovebird (same sex even), they might fight to the death as they might be both feisty (and I don't want opposite, as I don't want them to bond with one another and have babies either). I really want a parakeet, but not a Budgie or Bourke because they are so docile, maybe a Cockatiel or a Turquoisine Parakeet or Kakakiri as they are a bit bigger (although I'm not sure if bigger only by tail length than width). What do you think? Thank you for the feedback!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
This is what I think as an educated guess: I think that a lovebird might kill a budgie, cockatiel, or turquoisine parakeet. I don’t know any kakarikis and I hear they are very smart and fast, so maybe a kakariki could keep itself alive when housed with a lovebird.

I just think it would be sad for both birds if you housed your lovebird with a non- lovebird. They would each be essentially alone, because they probably wouldn’t get along. And the non-lovebird would get bullied. Even if you had a pair of other species birds, the lovebird might still hurt them.

Maybe someone with practical experience can weigh in. I’ve never housed a lovebird with another species.

OP
H

Harpytacines

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
Thanks for the feedback, Heather. As per my post, they will not be caged together at all, and definitely not left to fly around the converted-flight-room balcony without me seeing what's happening behind the glass. The room is at least 10 feet high, 14 feet long, and 6 feet wide. My concern is that the odd moment that I'm actually not watching the bird while they are flying around as no one can really watch their bird every minute 24/7 even if you just have one. I guess I need a bird that will be fast enough to fly away and somewhat hold her/his ground temporarily enough to move out of the way when squabbles occur. They'll get about 2-3 hours of flight time, but if for any reason that chIrP Man (Lovebird) will constantly chase and bully the bird, then I guess I'll have to divide that time into 1.5 hour each flight time (they also get their own bonding/play time with me of course.

OP
H

Harpytacines

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but not new to owning Lovebirds and Budgies, especially. I know they are definitely feisty. I have a new Lovebird named "Chirp Man (as in Ip Man, movie character and famous Kung-Fu martial artist, lol), or if the eventually DNA tests female, I'll change her name to Wing Chun (another famous martial artist in history).

I'm looking for another bird specie (other than a Lovebird) that will be in a different cage (both will be handfed, as well). The ONLY time they will be together is when I free flight them in my enclosed balcony which is 14 Ft. L, 6 Ft. W, and 10F H). They will NOT be caged together. And their mostly supervised flight time outside the cage will be about 3 hours per day. They may or may not get along, or tolerate one another at best, as I'll have daily, separate interaction with them alone. However, when in the converted balcony aviary, they will have sort of access one another, though lots of room to move around as I can even put more than 2 birds there. I guess my concern is that I need a bird that is fast and have enough in them to at least temporarily fend off a Lovebird if bossiness arises (assuming he/she will be, as I've had Budgies and Lovebirds before, and have had mixed results--no deaths). and flee without being badly injured. If I get another Lovebird (same sex even), they might fight to the death as they might be both feisty (and I don't want opposite sex, as I don't want them to bond with one another and have babies either). I really want a parakeet, but not a Budgie or Bourke because they are so docile, maybe a Cockatiel or a Turquoisine Parakeet or Kakakiri as they are a bit bigger (although I'm not sure if bigger only by tail length than width). What do you think? Thank you for the feedback! The other alternative solution is never to free flight them together and just divide the time, but there's something stimulating when I see mutliple birds flying. Perhaps, I can get 2 parakeets instead (but I want them to bond with me) or is there anything just slightly bigger with the same beak size of a lovebird (bigger or smaller, but not too big). I have access to a Turquiosine Parakeet, and I love their color and sound, as well as a Parrotlet. Is there Parakeet that's about the size of Cockatiel with more beak power?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but not new to owning Lovebirds and Budgies, especially. I know they are definitely feisty. I have a new Lovebird named "Chirp Man (as in Ip Man, movie character and famous Kung-Fu martial artist, lol), or if the eventually DNA tests female, I'll change her name to Wing Chun (another famous martial artist in history).

I'm looking for another bird specie (other than a Lovebird) that will be in a different cage (both will be handfed, as well). The ONLY time they will be together is when I free flight them in my enclosed balcony which is 14 Ft. L, 6 Ft. W, and 10F H). They will NOT be caged together. And their mostly supervised flight time outside the cage will be about 3 hours per day. They may or may not get along, or tolerate one another at best, as I'll have daily, separate interaction with them alone. However, when in the converted balcony aviary, they will have sort of access one another, though lots of room to move around as I can even put more than 2 birds there. I guess my concern is that I need a bird that is fast and have enough in them to at least temporarily fend off a Lovebird if bossiness arises (assuming he/she will be, as I've had Budgies and Lovebirds before, and have had mixed results--no deaths). and flee without being badly injured. If I get another Lovebird (same sex even), they might fight to the death as they might be both feisty (and I don't want opposite sex, as I don't want them to bond with one another and have babies either). I really want a parakeet, but not a Budgie or Bourke because they are so docile, maybe a Cockatiel or a Turquoisine Parakeet or Kakakiri as they are a bit bigger (although I'm not sure if bigger only by tail length than width). What do you think? Thank you for the feedback! The other alternative solution is never to free flight them together and just divide the time, but there's something stimulating when I see mutliple birds flying. Perhaps, I can get 2 parakeets instead (but I want them to bond with me) or is there anything just slightly bigger with the same beak size of a lovebird (bigger or smaller, but not too big). I have access to a Turquiosine Parakeet, and I love their color and sound, as well as a Parrotlet. Is there Parakeet that's about the size of Cockatiel with more beak power?
Other species can live together as long as there is a lot of space for them. Some may fight, though.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie

I personally don't agree with handfeeding. It doesn't makethe bird any more tame,and SO MUCH can go wrong. Lovebirds and budgies are unable to have babies. 2 budgies can bond with you just as well as one, and I would suggest at least 2. In my opinion and from my experience, it is cruel to keep a single budgie unless it has some sort of issue that is life-threatining for other birds. They're flock birds, and easily get depressed without company.

I would also NEVER let a budgie and a lovebird out together. It's just asking for trouble. Budgies usually won't back down in fights, and nor will love birds, but lovebirds have a worse bite than a budgie, so the budgie can end up getting badly injured.

Why don't you get another lovebird? They come in so many different colors. A lovebird with a budgie is a really bad idea, and a single budie is also a really bad idea. While lovebirds can thrive on their own, budgies really can't.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Thanks for the feedback, Heather. As per my post, they will not be caged together at all, and definitely not left to fly around the converted-flight-room balcony without me seeing what's happening behind the glass. The room is at least 10 feet high, 14 feet long, and 6 feet wide. My concern is that the odd moment that I'm actually not watching the bird while they are flying around as no one can really watch their bird every minute 24/7 even if you just have one. I guess I need a bird that will be fast enough to fly away and somewhat hold her/his ground temporarily enough to move out of the way when squabbles occur. They'll get about 2-3 hours of flight time, but if for any reason that chIrP Man (Lovebird) will constantly chase and bully the bird, then I guess I'll have to divide that time into 1.5 hour each flight time (they also get their own bonding/play time with me of course.
See my response on your other thread. I agree with what Heather said, but budgies also need to be in pairs to be truly happy and to thrive. They are easily depressed, and it seems like you only want 1 bird, so a budgie is not a good option for you.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I can’t understand why you would do this. You know that lovebirds are aggressive; so you want a super bird that is fast enough to get away? Get another lovebird, or don’t let them out together.

Most Reactions