Thinking of getting a companion for my lovebird

animalgirl555

Dec 28, 2023
Parrots
Mango
I want to get a firend/ companion for my lovebird, Mango, so he is not lonely when I am gone during the day.

He is very friendly towards other birds and doesn't get territorial. Will it be a good idea if I introduce Mango to another bird and if they get along, house them together(try having them together for the day in Mangos cage) ? Or is it stressful (to mango) and not worth getting another bird?

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I want to get a firend/ companion for my lovebird, Mango, so he is not lonely when I am gone during the day.

He is very friendly towards other birds and doesn't get territorial. Will it be a good idea if I introduce Mango to another bird and if they get along, house them together(try having them together for the day in Mangos cage) ? Or is it stressful (to mango) and not worth getting another bird?
You never know whats going to happen when you inroduce another bird. I have a cockatiel and recently introduced a princess parrot, so far they don't like eachother too much but they get along.
What species of parrot would you introduce? Maybe another lovebird would be best

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)

Welcome to the forums!

As stated above, introducing a new bird is a gamble.
They won’t always like each other. And, if you do get another bird, get one because you want one and want to care for another.

I originally owned my Quaker first, and brought home my green cheek a few months later. They’ve lived next to each other for over 2 years and still can’t be let out at the same time.

Now, it is possible, and more likely that your lovebird would probably get along fine with another lovebird. After a quarantine just keep the introduction slow, like move there cages in the same room for days so they can hear and see each other.

OP
animalgirl555

animalgirl555

Dec 28, 2023
Parrots
Mango
You never know whats going to happen when you inroduce another bird. I have a cockatiel and recently introduced a princess parrot, so far they don't like eachother too much but they get along.
What species of parrot would you introduce? Maybe another lovebird would be best
Yeah, I'm thinking a Lovebird

pebbles1553

Nov 30, 2023
Media
Parrots
lovebird

He is very friendly towards other birds and doesn't get territorial. Will it be a good idea if I introduce Mango to another bird and if they get along, house them together(try having them together for the day in Mangos cage) ? Or is it stressful (to mango) and not worth getting another bird
Lovebirds mate for life if you put them together, they wont pay attention to you... just something to consider.

Most Reactions

Latest posts