Any advice for my budgie set up/care?

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
Hi guys! Sorry for the odd format, my computer is not letting me catch a break today! Anyway, I wanted to know if my budgie cage is adequate for the next few months before their new cage arrives. The dimensions are: 30.7"L x 20.2"W x 46"H. I will be upgrading them to a cage that is about double this size, but it's a work in progress as I am building it myself. Is this cage size okay for 4 budgies? I have 3 females and one male (originally thought I had 2 females and 2 males, ugh!). They have all their food and water dishes on the top shelf. I feed them Bird trick's summer recipe for their fresh diet in the morning and the evening, and roudybush mini's available all day. I only give them fuji bottled water because that's all I drink and I refuse to give them tap.
I am open to any questions, but I would love suggestions on how to better my care. Thanks!!
Their toys are: 2 bell-balls, a chew log made from that kabob wood, a paper box with tissue paper(the tissue paper hides seeds, this is the only way they can get them as I feed pellet, they gotta work for the good stuff!), some hanging toys and a bath dish with fresh organic basil.

Attachments

• tempImagebRlMmw.jpg
    tempImagebRlMmw.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 78
  • tempImage823aOr.jpg
    tempImage823aOr.jpg
    534.4 KB · Views: 82
OP
bonitabird59

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
Forgot to add: I give them treats 2x a week, they like oven baked cookies, birdy bread, oat sprays, and blackberries. I really try to limit their fruit intake because it makes them sugar rush like crazy- they get veggie chop every day available for 2 hours at a time, (9am-10am and 7pm-9pm right before bed).

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Cage ample, check out the sticky how to bond thread.... in the budgie forum. Depending on the situation you may be able to leave cage open when your home. So far your a "champion" owner.

At night I just point to the door and the budgies go in. (after a bit).

Good work so far.

OP
bonitabird59

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
Cage ample, check out the sticky how to bond thread.... in the budgie forum. Depending on the situation you may be able to leave cage open when your home. So far your a "champion" owner.

At night I just point to the door and the budgies go in. (after a bit).

Good work so far.
They're all bonded to me, surprisingly my females are the most bonded to me. The only one I can't handle is Betty because she's kinda flighty and not food motivated. I don't leave their cage door open anymore because my conure gets annoyed with them landing on/near his cage, and the budgies love to sit on top of my finch cage. My finches get really stressed because they have 2 babies in their nest and would prefer to be left alone. I let everyone fly around for about 2-3 hours a day in the early, early morning hours (usually from 5am-7am) when I first wake up because my conure Jello is asleep and doesn't care for them. Then at 7am they go back to sleepiez and get awoken with some chop around 9am!

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
It looks like you have a great setup. You are doing a great job.

May I ask what the box on the bottom of the cage is for?

OP
bonitabird59

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
It looks like you have a great setup. You are doing a great job.

May I ask what the box on the bottom of the cage is for?
Its a cardboard box with tissue paper in it used for foraging. Sometimes I hide seeds in there for them to rip through and find, other times I use nutriberries. It was a diy kinda thing I came up with and they love it! Doubles as a shredding toy.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Its a cardboard box with tissue paper in it used for foraging. Sometimes I hide seeds in there for them to rip through and find, other times I use nutriberries. It was a diy kinda thing I came up with and they love it! Doubles as a shredding toy.
Thank you for sharing. I may have to try this as I have 2 birds in my flock who don’t like to play with their hanging toys.

OP
bonitabird59

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
Thank you for sharing. I may have to try this as I have 2 birds in my flock who don’t like to play with their hanging toys.
Sorry for late response- but try willow balls! Theyre like willow twine thats very soft and chewable that they can play with with their feet. My GCC loves them, he lays on his back and kicks them around in the air. I also got plastic ferret balls from Petco for him and they are his all time favorite. They have a small bell in the middle.

Most Reactions